partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 11:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Club dances (Moderators: captain jep, QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Club dancing with your ballroom partner?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Club dancing with your ballroom partner?  (Read 7319 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

yes ... I mean here we have pretty much cha cha slide, booty call, the superman, cupid shuffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExC1oGN5J28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJQ3KegOgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLGLum5SyKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nbMLOr0tHU

these are the ones we see in the clubs around here. Now mind you some of us get funkier with it as we incorporate our own moves. Like when I do the booty call ... I change it up quite a bit because I just do not like to look like everyone else on the dance floor. LOL

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »

What? You mean the Nutbush is only done in Australia? Huh
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »

Sometimes I'd *really* like to burn the syllabus...

But yes, in my time, I have club-dance-sandwiched my share of pretty boys. Alas, those days are likely done and gone:( I'll always have Nashville *sniffle*.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:45 PM »

What? You mean the Nutbush is only done in Australia? Huh

It appears that way, and that surprises me..When we went to Holland they made us teach it, they had a hoot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:53:41 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

I thought the Nutbush City is somewhere in the desert of America.  Grin
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 11:32:09 PM »

now that surprises me. you dance it solo and not with a partner like the macarena (if that is how it is spelt) danced to tina turners nutbush city limits. I will see if I can find a clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CWlvo7fRD8

This is probably not the same thing, but it's more like I imagine you moving than that other clip  Smiley  At least the clip has Tina singing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFrr9a3eJaE&feature=related
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 01:58:42 AM »

the clip I found was pretty basic...but the steps are correct, it looks like an aerobic routine  Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 03:18:44 AM »

In rural southern America, we have a popular group sport called cornholing.

No. I swear- Really. Not like Ned Beatty, but it's a bar game that most people call, you know, BEAN BAG TOSS.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:49 AM »

what we do for a bit of fun... Tongue

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 09:30:56 PM »

No. I swear- Really. Not like Ned Beatty, but it's a bar game that most people call, you know, BEAN BAG TOSS.

huh?

around here bar games are beer pong, quarters, etc ....

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »

huh?

Corn-hole games aren't just for rural America!
Emmy, its more of a tail gate thing around here, then a bar game!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »

huh?

Corn-hole games aren't just for rural America!
Emmy, its more of a tail gate thing around here, then a bar game!

yeah well here we tailgate alright ..........they are called football games and nascar races.

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 10:08:43 AM »

My partners and I go salsa dancing occassionally. Really it's me who wants to go and I wear them down to relent over time...

I started with salsa and along with it's other core dances, bachata and merengue, I get out and free dance at least a couple of nights a week.

I stay away from bachata, mostly.  i find it a bit hmmm intimate, though I can do it well with my DP's or friends.  We're good at faking it, I guess.  That comes from the rumba I thinik. Since both my DP's have boyfriends all the fiery passion we exchange in tango and rumba is, for the most part, manufactured. Acting, really.  So it's not a big deal to take that into the clubs, it's a bit of a lark, isn't it?

I must say that I find the level of dancing generally in salsa clubs very high.  There is a tremendous amount of true interpretation of the music going on, body isolations, multiple spins, dancing within the rythms, very complex arm and body combo's, much more so than I see in ballroom, where we often simply impose the steps we know upon the music.

There is also a lot of partner swapping going on in salsa.  It's the culture - you dance one or two dances with a person then move on.  Much more inclusive than ballroom, where unaccompanied ladies often sit much of the night waiting. In salsa, the etiquette is that if a woman asks a man to dance, he has to say yes...once. Which means that all the women can dance most of the night if they've the gumption and many of them do.

Going to salsa clubs forces me to be a better lead and followinrs to understand different leads. I think we all become better dancers, also because of the freestyle nature of salsa.  You can't really dance routines with women you rarely dance with, so one becomes adept an improvising, freestyling. I think it makes me a better dancer.

On the ballroom floor I'm often bemused when a corner gets blocked up with inexpert dancers who are stuck, not able to negotiate "out of the box".  Salsa teaches me that, I look ahead and simply avoid blockages, a quick change of direction and I'm off in the other direction.  I think freestyling so often has helped me with these skills.

Although I must admit I'm becoming a bit of a ballroom snob, that is I've a high appreciation of the art and technical expertise of fine ballroom dancers, I also appreciate all other forms of dance and performing arts.  It's all great stuff.  People using their bodies as art...in whichever way, is admirable. Yes I think that fine ballroom dancers exhibit a beauty and proficiency in their art which is rarely matched, I must also add that I see this in ballet, west coast swing, salsa and all other dances where people train and perfect their art and express their inner self to a high degree.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

Its my experience that our area is particularly old fashioned when it comes to exchanging partners.  If you have a partner its as if you are married with respect to dance - no one else dares ask for a dance - in my case they will ask my partner for permission!  Its as if he owns me.  I'm not sure about the other way round since its almost always men who initiate a dance. 

Thats one thing I miss about MD - there people danced with each other a lot at social events....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »

Its my experience that our area is particularly old fashioned when it comes to exchanging partners.  If you have a partner its as if you are married with respect to dance - no one else dares ask for a dance - in my case they will ask my partner for permission!  Its as if he owns me.  I'm not sure about the other way round since its almost always men who initiate a dance. 

In a venue I'm not familar with, when I see a couple dancing together and they obviously aren't newbies, I watch them to see if they are only dancing with each other.  If at some point the man asks someone else to dance, then I assume that I am free to ask his partner for a dance.  If he doesn't, then I usually assume that they only wish to dance with each other.  Now, if they are sitting out a lot, and the woman has a wistful look on her face...   Grin

At our studio, one of our few rules is that you are always free to ask.  The person you ask may say no, which is their prerogative,  but we don't hold with hostility towards people who ask. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: