partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 08:57:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool - Report from DSV
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Blackpool - Report from DSV  (Read 5433 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »

Friday afternoon and evening:

I was not going to have time to go back and change as the schedule for the Professional Open Standard was too tight to allow that. I almost finished packing, dressed in my evening wear and drove into my dance husband’s B&B. I was allowed to park there for the evening and just walk over to the Wintergardes. The people at this B&B are so nice. I really like them and my dance husband says that the owner is like his brother and sister-in-law. I guess that makes them my family as well and I am very proud and happy to have them in my family. OK, Ok let me continue and not get all sentimental on you all. My dance husband was out shopping so I walked over the Wintergardens myself. I walked in through the back door and was right there where my couple were all changing. I went and checked all of them to see how they were doing. For the most part they were all feeling good. I sat down around the space where my couples were. My dance brother came over to check on how I was doing. He knows me very well and could see I needed energy to do my energy bobble around my couple. He game me a light shoulder rub and some energy point activation. After that I was able to do the bobble nearly all the time to make sure my couples had space to dance and no couples bumping into them. The first round finished and I did my rounds. After doing my round I went to sit down on my dance husbands seat and guess what….Medira was sitting right behind me. Once again I did my energy bobble and the couples seemed to be doing alright. As the rounds went on a couple were cut the intensity in the room increased. The US didn’t do quit as well this year as they did last year. We didn’t have as many couples in the top 24 or the top twelve as last year. The couples that did make it were well deserved of making it. The competition finished with the final result having no surprises.
This is the big party night all over town. Every body goes to a party or gets together somewhere to talk about the week and say our “till next year”. My dance husband invited five ladies to his B&B for a drinks and sandwiches. He is such a chick magnet… Grin Wink Grin.
We sat and talked about the week, the dancing, the dresses, the rumors, what happened, the good, the bad and the ugly. It was about 2am when we all went back to our B&B and hotels.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:04:06 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »

Saturday:

Well I got back to my hotel at around 2:15 am. I packed the clothing that I had been wearing. I went to bed at 3:00am and slept for 2 hours. I always regret having booked the flight so early but I am also so ready to go home. I got up packed the luggage in the car and started my drive to London. There was very little traffic on the road so it went smooth and faster then going up. I arrived in Heathrow in very good time. I had time to just slowly do all that I need to do. I checked in and went through security with ease. I sat in the lounge and had breakfast and rested up. I got on my flight and landed safe and sound in the US. The Blackpool week was over for this year and the preparations for next year will start next month to make sure I get the tickets and the hotel room that I want. 

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

Conclusion

Well, now the 2009 Blackpool dance festival of the British Open is over. It is a strange feeling every year when that happens. You go away with a feeling that it was too short and yet it was a long week and very draining. You see friend and acquaintances that you hadn’t seen in a year or sometimes years. You want to spend time with all of them and catch up with how they are doing, but before you know it the week is over. You are so tired that you can’t see straight. Your body gets so deprived of sleep that you very often get sick or at least get symptoms of a cold coming on. You long all year for the week to come and yet you are happy and sad when it is over. You will feel the same once you have been there a couple of times. It is just like dancing, you get addicted to it. You need to go and yet you know you are going to be drained more then anything you have ever done before. It is amazing how fast the body adapts. I have only had an average of 4 hours of sleep and then a few power naps in between. On the flight home my body would not totally rest. I kept doing power naps. I would feel really tired then sleep for 5 minutes and wake up feeling totally refreshed. I finally got 6 hours of sleep in last night. I look forward to getting 8 hours tonight.

The dancing this year was not an amazing year. It was not one of the years that will be talked about for years to come. I was saddened by all the violence that has been happening between the couple and partnerships, these last couple years. I hope this is a trend that will stop with this Blackpool. The security guards were calling us for hooligans dressed up. I surly hope this was last time we are described like that by outsiders.

Let me end on a happy note. I had a lot of fun there. I was surrounded by my wonderful dance family. I enjoyed the hugs, kisses and the love we all shared.  Grin

I will see you all there next year. Till next year……. Grin

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »

wonderful - you are an inspiration and I truly hope to experience the same, but in my case for the first time, next year.

I heard that you have to buy tickets a year in advance.  Is that so?

And big welcome back Smiley
ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2009, 01:39:28 PM »

wonderful - you are an inspiration and I truly hope to experience the same, but in my case for the first time, next year.

I heard that you have to buy tickets a year in advance.  Is that so?

And big welcome back Smiley
ee

I am sure you will have the same experience as I do, when I go there.

The ticket forms are normally send out in June and needs to be returned by mid to end July.

Also if you want to make sure you get the place to stay that you want it is a good idea to book that soon.

Thank you for the welcome back.

DSV

Edward Teller
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »

Conclusion

The dancing this year was not an amazing year. It was not one of the years that will be talked about for years to come. I was saddened by all the violence that has been happening between the couple and partnerships, these last couple years. I hope this is a trend that will stop with this Blackpool. The security guards were calling us for hooligans dressed up. I surly hope this was last time we are described like that by outsiders.

Well they wanted it to be a sport and I guess it has become that, fights and all.  If we don't teach the younger people coming up to be courteous and not have to win at all costs we may have a chance.  It begins with the parents and the adults competing to not accept bad behaviour from anyone, regardless of age.  Perhaps if people were asked to leave a change may happen.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »

Thank you very much for the report DSV!

Hmm..violence between dancers, never heard of that one before. I thought dancers are better know for bitching behind eachother's backs instead of direct violence.  Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2009, 11:07:20 PM »

Anyone know how I get the form to get tickets for next year?  The blackpooldancefestival.net site only has this years - I heard that you have to get them in by the end of june...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »

Thank-you for all of your Blackpool posts, DSV!

It took energy and time o keep us all posted---and it was appreciated! Glad you are home all safe and sound!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »

You are very welcome. OK, so I missed a little sleep posting....I am now well rested, so no harm done. It was actually fun to put the experiences and thought down in written form.

I just might volunteer for this job again next year.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »

maybe we can give you a lilttle more help Wink

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: