partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 07:45:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool - Report from DSV
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool - Report from DSV  (Read 5854 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 08:10:56 AM »

Manners of the competitors?
Are they impolite or is something missing in their dancing etiquette?

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »

DSV,

Dancebeat is reporting a rumor circulating at Blackpool is that Winter Gardens may close down later this year. Or it may be changed into a shopping mall. Something about it's not profitable enough. Let us know if you hear anything more concrete on this rumor. If true, wonder where next year's comps will be held?

pruthe

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 01:29:41 PM »

Yes, the manners of some of the competitors are bad. The British are complaining as they think of dancing as a ladies and gentleman sport. They are rude, lacking floor craft, lacking respect fro their partners and respect for the competition and organizer. I must agree I was chocked a couple of time with the manner by which some couples conducted themselves. The manners of some of the spectators are not far behind the rudeness of the competitors. It is really interesting to see the change that has happened the last 10 years.

So yes, all of the above impolite and missing their dance etiquette.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 01:48:44 PM »

DSV,

Dancebeat is reporting a rumor circulating at Blackpool is that Winter Gardens may close down later this year. Or it may be changed into a shopping mall. Something about it's not profitable enough. Let us know if you hear anything more concrete on this rumor. If true, wonder where next year's comps will be held?

pruthe

They are doing some major renovation and remodeling at the front door. It is going to be made into a pedestrian area. There was talk about moving the British Open Championship to Birmingham or Solihull some 10-15 years ago. The corporation that owns the Wintergardens lost the contract with the Labor party back then and has had hard times making money since. The Spanish Hall where the lectures are, are quit frankly falling apart. I remember one year watching the lectures and it raining on us (we might as have been sitting outside). The place has lacked upkeep for many years. I have a feeling that it has been neglected for so long that it might be in total disrepair. There has been no updating of things for many years. It is a shame but if you don’t do the upkeep on a building it is eventually going to fall apart. They have also torn down Yates Bar where many of the dancers used to meet for lunch on the Sunday. There are vacancies all around the Wintergardens. I would not be surprised if that rumor is true. I will ask around the tonight and tomorrow. I want to ask some of the “big cheeses” before I say anything.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 02:55:19 PM »

OK, went to the Imperial Hotel and parked the car. Placed some more flyers at the American practice room and then took the shuttle into the Wintergardens. I was running a little late but I watched the first round of latin with the grandkids that I had dancing in that division. When they finished I went to check on the internet café and put some flyers down there. Then I checked the vendors out. There were some vendors that were not there that has been there for years. Also many of the vendors didn’t have the amount of stock they had last year. I guess the economy is affecting the dance vendors now. I then went of to Mark and Spencer and had my VAT form filled out. I then went into the ballroom to check on the grandkids that were dancing in the youth. Their parents weren’t in sight so I had to help with some of the little panic’s that was happening. They got themselves together and I sat and watched them warm up. I then saw their mom and we sat together watching the competition. After they finished I went for a little walk and meet one of my student on the way. We talked a little and I went back in the ballroom. I then decided to go back to get some lunch/dinner and change for the evening. I should be heading over to the Wintergardens right now for the evening session. I will get back tonight or tomorrow with the report on the evening event.

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »

Yes, the manners of some of the competitors are bad. The British are complaining as they think of dancing as a ladies and gentleman sport. They are rude, lacking floor craft, lacking respect fro their partners and respect for the competition and organizer. I must agree I was chocked a couple of time with the manner by which some couples conducted themselves. The manners of some of the spectators are not far behind the rudeness of the competitors. It is really interesting to see the change that has happened the last 10 years.

So yes, all of the above impolite and missing their dance etiquette.

I wonder if this is a result of the general impoliteness of society or the drive to succeed at any cost on the part of the competitors?
I am not "old", but I remember riding the bus to go downtown as a littlle girl with my mother and she'd insist on us both dressing up.   It certainly isn't that way anymore.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »

Perhaps when Ballroom Dancing turned the corner to become a "sport" politeness forgot to turn with it.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »

hope today is as good as yesterday obviously was.  Its fantastic how up-to-date dancesportinfo is with the results...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »

I wonder if this is a result of the general impoliteness of society or the drive to succeed at any cost on the part of the competitors?

I am not sure why it is. One can reach the top and still have basic manners.

My mother always says “Nobody is too big to be polite some are too small”.

I wish I had the answer but I don’t know why people feel it is necessary to be impolite to get what you want. I just don’t know Huh Undecided Huh

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »

Perhaps when Ballroom Dancing turned the corner to become a "sport" politeness forgot to turn with it.   

That might be the answer....as I said before I really don't know. I thought "sportsmanship" was a term in sports about being polite but I am not native English speaking and have actually never look up the word. I will do that when I get home. Maybe my understanding of that word is totally wrong.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »

One thing that has improved greatly the last few years is the grooming of the couples. All couples, even from the very first rounds looks beautiful. They all have nice dresses, men’s suits, hair done nicely and good make-up. I had to watch first rounds for the first time in several years so that was the first thing I noticed.

The latin was good. There was many couple that was about the same level. I must say that I did not envy the judges job of separating then and having to pick out couples for the next round.

The youth standard was very strong. It was better this year then a few years back. I think that is a very good sign for the future.

Marcus Hilton told all couples to remember the 3 R’s (respect for self, respect for others and responsible for your actions). He did call up a few couples to remind them in person of these rules to be followed on the floor. I must say his words did work. There was better floor craft in both the latin and the standard today then yesterday. That is the sign of a great chairman (one that is able to create a environment where everybody can participate fair and square). His does a great job as being the chairman of judges. He impressed me last year and this year he is doing just as an impressive job. 

Great day with great dancing!

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »

The Spanish Hall where the lectures are, are quit frankly falling apart. I remember one year watching the lectures and it raining on us (we might as have been sitting outside). The place has lacked upkeep for many years. I have a feeling that it has been neglected for so long that it might be in total disrepair. There has been no updating of things for many years.

Some people PM'ed about the condition of the hall and the peoples rudeness. I do need to explain something about Blackpool that you will only know when you have been here a couple of times and participated in the traditions of Blackpool. It is the only competition that I know of, that has this unique setup. It is difficult to understand if you haven’t experienced it, but let me try to give a little bit of an explanation why it is such a special week here and why we all long for coming back to Blackpool year after year.

In a funny way it feels like coming home after a long trip abroad. We all come home to meet, not for Christmas or Thanks Giving but for Blackpool. During the year we all go to our respective countries and really work in our own little worlds. Blackpool is where the years work and trial are tested and compared. We come home to the people that know us very, very well. They have witnessed and we shared our ups and downs. They know our strengths and our weaknesses. We have all experienced great disappointments and great successes here. We have all cried and laughed here. There is a strong sense of connection with the people, which you competed against, took lessons from or just saw every year. The B&B’s, the hotels, the apartments, the entrance, the restaurants, the bar and the ballroom can best be explained as the feeling of putting on the old worn-out sweater, the favorite t-shirt and the pair of old comfortable shoes. It is like coming home to great memories (we laugh at the sad once and smile at the good once) and warm fuzzy feeling. We all talk about the eggs, the bacon, the beans and the fried toast. We all hated the breakfast and yet, when we come here, we have to have it. We sit around the little B&B’s after the competitions with sandwiched and talk about the day’s events and of the times gone by. We were thrown together in great parties and all night talk/discussions. We have all experienced having too little food, too much food, too little to drink and too much to drink here. Once you have been here and joined the families/groups and parties then you can participate in the feeling of the place, we all hate and love all at the same time. Blackpool has a very special place in the hearts of all that have been here a couple of times. It is a total love/hate relationship. We need to come here to just make sure nothing has changed and the comforting things is, for the most part nothing has changed. It is the same color carpets, chairs, wall colors, smell, music, floor, people that were here last year or 20 years ago. It is like times stand/stood still here but we (the people) all got a year or some years older. You know where people stay and where they sit. It is hard to explain, you have just got to come to experience it.

I hope this give you all a little more understanding about the magic of Blackpool.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »

I totally understand.
It must be like when my family kept going back to the same shabby hotel year after year for vacation, although I think we could have gone elsewhere.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

I totally understand.
It must be like when my family kept going back to the same shabby hotel year after year for vacation, although I think we could have gone elsewhere.

Sounds like you totally understand the essence of Blackpool. Grin

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

I cannot wait to be there!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: