partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:43:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool - Report from DSV
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool - Report from DSV  (Read 6181 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« on: May 24, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »

I am going to report on many things from my trip. I will probable not see the results so somebody else will have to report on that. I will be keeping an eye on the couples that was noted to be kept an eye on in the other topic. I will try to report it in such a way that those of you who didn’t make it this year will still get somewhat a feel for what is happening. .

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:08 AM »

Friday Evening:
I got into London late Friday evening. I checked into the airport hotel and I went to bed pretty much straight away. I wanted to get up early to go shopping in London. I watched a little TV and went to bed.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:56:10 AM »

Saturday

Got up around 8am and got myself over to the car rental office. I had to take a bus from the hotel back to the airport and then catch a bus to the car rental office. It took me about an hour to get there. I got my car (a Ford for the American). It was a good size car with plenty of room in the trunk. I drove to Norbury to Check out my old bank and bank account. From there I drove to Croydon for shopping. I arrived in Croydon (south of London) about 11am and ready for shopping. There were a few changes to the streets around the parking structure. I got a parking space after waiting a few minutes to get in. It was very busy in the mall. I went to Marks and Sparks (Marks & Spencer) first. IMHO, they have the best sweater (jumpers), socks and lingerie in the world. I stock up every year as if I am never coming back.  Wink I filled two bags of clothing and moved onto Superdrug for hairspray and gel (shock wave). I filled to basket with hairspray, spray gel and gel and went up to the cashier. She rang it all up only to tell me that they couldn’t take my American credit cards as they don’t have the little chip in them as the British cards does. I then had to apologies and went over to Boots to ask if the took American credit card. They did and I again went to fill up my basket. I paid with my American credit card and went back to the car to unload. I then went back to the mall for another stroll around. There were a few new shops since last year but all in all about the same. I left Croydon about 3pm to go back to the hotel. I stopped at Sainsbury on the way back to pick up some food, drink and snacks. I bought a French baguette and some pate…..I love their pate. I got back to the hotel about 5pm and watched TV while eating my treat. It was about 10pm when I went to bed.

PS. I had totally forgotten about the problem many British people have with their 3rd finger. It must be hurting as it is almost always sticking up. It is a shame that they haven’t had doctors look at that epidemic.  Wink Grin

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:55:35 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:05:09 AM »

Sunday:

Got up around 7am and was totally ready for the drive to Blackpool. I packed the car and was on my way at about 8:30am. I had a little problem fitting all my goods into my suit case that I had bought the day before. The trip up from London was pretty much the same as normal. There was a lot of road works around Birmingham and a big accident just south of Manchester. I got to Blackpool around 1pm. My room wasn’t ready so I sat in the lobby reading for about an hour waiting for the room. After about 40 minutes the room was ready and I checked in. I am now sitting in the room giving you this report. I will check in later with a report for the rest of the day.

Edward Teller
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »

i look forward to read more. this is awesome.  Grin

my friend is in blackpool, watching. i am so  Angry that i can't be there.

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

Look forward to read more too!

Enjoy your stay there! Are you competing?
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »

Look forward to read more too!

Enjoy your stay there! Are you competing?

I will do my best to report as I find out and see things to report.

I am not competing. I have been retired almost 2 decades. I do have some eight couples (16 kids) competing and I think 6 grandkids. I will be busy taking care of them but I am sure I will still have time to do some reporting.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »

I did find one result from yesterday.
The US won the team match and Italy was second.

What a change from a few years back.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »

wow

so lovely to hear your reports, I'm already transported.

Don't worry about results - dancesportinfo is keeping almost hourly checks on them.  We already have the finals in senior standard and junior latin and many of the early heats in the other events have already happened.

I'm most interested in the professional rising star standard (for obvious reason Wink)

Look forward to hearing more DSV ....
hope your children and their kids are doing great!

ee

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »

OK, I am back reporting from this Sunday evening.

I took the car and drove to the Imperial Hotel. I parked the car there and took the shuttle into the Wintergardens. I was very surprised with the long drive and the shuttle parked by the side entrance. The shuttle is normally parked by the front entrance. I was to meet some Taiwanese students at the usual Chinese restaurant. As I walk towards the restaurant I soon found out why the shuttle was parking at the side entrance. They have torn up the whole street in front of the main entrance. There was no traffic going past the front entrance in any way or form. Actually they had torn up the next two streets past the post office as well. I just turn the corner when my student game walking towards me. The restaurant was temporally moved to another location. We then walked to the other location and the way meeting many friends from all over the world. We had a nice dinner and as we left the restaurant many were waiting to come in to eat. They were very busy. I think most of China was waiting outside. We walked back to their hotel on Albert Road (the road next to Wintergardens is called Adelaide Street or Road, the 2nd street parallel to Wintergardens is called Albert Road). I then walked back to the Imperial Hotel. It was a beautiful sunny evening and just a little fresh breeze from the ocean. It was nice to walk a little before having to spend most of next week in the ballroom. I meet some former students on the way from the Czech Republic. We talked for while. Then on the parking lot I met some dancer from New York. We talked a little. That is the thing about Blackpool. Every time you go somewhere it always take a lot of time as you meet friends that you haven’t seen for a while and you have a whole year to catch up on. I finally got in my car and drove back to my hotel. I will be able to have an early evening as probable the only one for most of the week so it is early to bed and getting ready for tomorrows adventures.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »

wow

so lovely to hear your reports, I'm already transported.

Don't worry about results - dancesportinfo is keeping almost hourly checks on them.  We already have the finals in senior standard and junior latin and many of the early heats in the other events have already happened.

I'm most interested in the professional rising star standard (for obvious reason Wink)

Look forward to hearing more DSV ....
hope your children and their kids are doing great!

ee

I used to have to do a report like this for my mother. It is fun to get to do it again.

I will keep an eye on your pro tomorrow. I will then report tomorrow after the competition for you.

I am sure the kids and grandkids are going to be just fine. Some are here for the first time and are just in aura about it all, others are real veterans like me. It is really fun to see the new kids as they see and experience it all for the first time.

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

Next year, I am going to be there.  That is a promse to myself!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »

Looking forward to having you join us here......

Is it on your list??
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:29:13 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »

It is.
I think I'm going to put on the list that I go at least every other year.  It sounds like such a wonderful experience!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »

Hey DSV.  Hope you are having a good time over there.  If you can remember to ask for info from the hair people I would appreciate it. 
You are going to be one very tired person when you get back but I'm sure it's worth it.  We have to do a group trip over there some day.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: