partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 11:30:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool - Report from DSV
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool - Report from DSV  (Read 5202 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »

I'm wondering if some of the competitors take the "attitude" they project on the dance floor and make it part of their persona off the dance floor.  I simply refuse to believe dance is attracting so many rude and unkind people.

I do think you are totally right on that one. I did talk to several security guards. They all said that this has been the worst Blackpool ever when it comes to having to keeping things in check. They have had a hard time keeping the aisles clear. They have had to break up fights between male competitors between dances. They have also had to enter vein in partnerships where ladies were being abused by their male partners. It has been a very violent year. The violence is an issue that need to be stopped as soon as possible.

I am sure it is going to be much better next year.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

thanks also for distributing all those flyers for us - lets hope we get some 'bites'.

You are very welcome. I am sure some are going to bite. I checked today and all 200 flyers are gone.

I am so longing to be there, what an awful shame it will be if it is moved before I see it! 

I have talked to different people about the issue of the future of the British Open. The Wintergardens it self is a registered landmark. That means they can’t tear it down unless in it is in such disrepair that economically it is impossible to restore or if the building becomes a danger to be within or around. Well, what I have see there has been very little or maybe even no upkeep done to the Wintergardens for years. I think the only way we could really find out would be if we were able to read the mind of the owner. I think for now it will be here next year again. Now, if things change and I hear about it I will post it here on PDO.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »

Off the floor is where I felt the brunt of the rudeness.  Especially in the on-deck area: people will just shove right past you or spray hair-spray on themselves without a care in the world as to who stood around them; they would just glare at everyone around them like it was their fault for being in the line of fire.  My partner and I were shoved and pushed around like never before.  That in and of itself was enough to put us off of attending Nationals again.  However, now that I know what to expect, we won't be too bothered by it next time around.  Mind you, this was between heats, so it wasn't like we were in the way of anybody trying to get on the dance floor.  We were appalled at how rude they were.  I couldn't understand why because whenever I said, "excuse me" to get past someone, they seemed to understand just fine and step out of the way!  I didn't need to shove/push/glare.  I noticed that at the pre-champ levels, people were MUCH nicer.  It was at the champ levels that I encountered most of the hostility.  I was particular disturbed by the fact that it was mainly the younger dancers that were so rude.  The older dancers were much more courteous and civilized. 

I am sad to say that is a tendency world wide. I am not sure what to do about it but something does need to be done.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

Like usual I got up around 8am. I had my bacon, eggs, toast and tea. I drove over to the Imperial to teach for a lesson. Then I took the shuttle over to the Wintergardens and watch the qualifying round of the amateur standard. I sat and watched the entire session. Every single heat couples were called up by the chairman of judges to get a reprimand on floor craft. It was really nice to have the chairman actually try to nip the bad floor craft in the rare end, so to speak. I must say that was a big improvement to the other years. After the round was finished in went to meet a friend at Starbucks. We had some coffee and tea. We then went to have dinner together and sad and talked until 6pm. I caught the last shuttle back to the Imperial Hotel and drove back to my hotel to change. We meet again an hour later and watched to Open Professional latin. I thought all the couples had improved a lot since last year. It was great to watch. There was a great atmosphere in the hall all night. Sorry... I will have to continue tomorrow. I am just to tired to write another word right now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:07:04 AM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2009, 05:12:53 AM »

I am sorry I just crashed yesterday. I have only had 4 hours of sleep every night since Sunday. My body just decided it really wanted to sleep and I couldn’t finish what I started writing on last night. 

Continued on Wednesday nights adventures.

It really was a great night Wednesday with lots of great dancing and exciting moments. I must say that the quality overall had improved a lot since last year.

After the competition there we were a small group on American and Canadian judges that got together for a little get together at the Imperial Hotel. We talked about the weeks events. We all left at 4am to go to our respective hotels. I was a really enjoyable evening.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:44 AM »

Thursday

Got up at my usual 8am! I when to have my traditional breakfast. I then drove over to the Imperial Hotel and taught a lesson. After the lesson I took the shuttle over to the Wintergardens to watch the second qualifying round. It is really nice to see the great grooming that all couples have nowadays. Again in this round couples were call up to Brian for a reprimand on the floor craft. It was not in every heat but about 4 times in each dance of 7 heats. I thought that was a lot better but it shouldn’t really be necessary at all. After that round, which finished around 1pm, I went and had a light lunch with students and we talked until about 3:20pm. At 3:30 I meet with some other students for early dinner. We talked until about 5:00pm. We went back to the Wintergardens where they practiced for a little bit. After having watched them for a little while I then walk out to catch the shuttle back to the Imperial Hotel. My dear friend and dance husband came walking towards me as I was about to board the bus. We agreed to meet at his B&B at 7:00pm. I got back to my hotel and changed and drove back to his B&B. We had a drink and walked over to the Wintergardens. We watched the round dancing and I was disappointed to see there were no Americans in that round. I guess the dancers needs to go home and work even harder then before if they want to make a mark on the amateur standard division. Then it was time for the exhibition. One couple had to pull out because of an injury that happened during rehearsal. There were two American judges in this division, our wonderful Rufus Dustin and the beautiful Wendy Johnson. It was clear that the couple were nervous (which is totally understandable) but all of them got through their routines with only very small glitches. After a little break the amateur competition continued. It was a great shame that that one of the German couple a contender for the final had to with draw because of a twisted ankle. There have been a lot of injuries here this week. If you decide to come next year make sure you condition yourself to dance this very different competition. The dancing were not one of the very best years that I have seen but it was a fairly level field of quality. There were a few couples that were standing out for me. They looked like they were taking a different approach to the dancing. I have a feeling that if they continue to develop their style they will make a big impact on the future of dancing. There was a lot of talk about these couples among some of the judges. After the competition was done we (my dance husband) and I went back to his B&B and had a drink with the proprietors. They are wonderful people and really taking care of their guest. We were then joined by some of the other guests and talked for a little bit. It was an early evening so I got back to my hotel around 1:30am. I tried to post the days events but fell asleep over the computer. I feel much better rested today and will have a little nap and pack before today events.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »

lovely blog DSV Smiley  lets hope the pros really shine today to make up for the rising star competition!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2009, 08:27:02 AM »

lovely blog DSV Smiley  lets hope the pros really shine today to make up for the rising star competition!

I am sure they will be great tonight.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »

I got up later today; it was a little past 9:00am, when I got up. This is the last day of having my English breakfast so I took my time today. I sat and enjoyed to moment and the sound of dancers talking all around me. I started packing. It is in a way sad that the week is already over but at the same time I am ready to go home. I drove into Imperial Hotel for the last time this year. I was supposed to meet somebody there but they didn’t turn up. I sat on a couch waiting for them and a very nice young man came over and we talked while he was waiting for his tail suit to be fixed. We sat there for about 45 minutes and then I went back to my hotel to have lunch and continue packing. I will have to get ready for tonight’s event by in about an hours time. I really so look forward to seeing my couples dance now that they are tired and can dance more efficient.
I will try to get back with more tonight or tomorrow. I am not sure about the internet connection in Heathrow. If not then I will write when I am back home.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »

satisfying dance viewing - and safe travels Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »

Thanks for bringing us with you on your journey... Grin we appreciate your insight. Enjoy your final day. and safe journey home

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »

It was wonderful reading about your adventures DSV.  Thank you SO MUCH for taking the trouble to do that for us. 
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »

I've really enjoyed reading of your experience.  Thank you so very much.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
dancer86
pre-bronze

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2009, 06:48:08 AM »

Dear DSV, I too have really enjoyed your blogs. It made me feel so much more a part of Blackpool. I had a few Aussie friends dancing who have been texting me and keeping me up to date. I also kept a close eye on the dancepsortinfo website for all the results.  Thank you once again DSV. Your comments were great.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »

Thank you all for you wonderful comments. It was fun to talk about the happening in Blackpool this last week.

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: