partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool - Report from DSV
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool - Report from DSV  (Read 5188 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »

I meet Medira today in the ballroom Smiley. It sounded like she had an awesome trip to France. I am sure she will tell you all about it. I think she took more pictures of her trip then I have take in my entire life.

She was amazed about being in Blackpool. She loved the Wintergardens, the dancing and the atmosphere here. I am hoping she will participate in this topic as soon as she can get internet access. We just meet but she talked to me like w had known each other for years. She fit right in with the idea of Blackpool. I can’t wait to meet her again tomorrow. She is fun Grin.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04:31 AM »

I wonder if this is a result of the general impoliteness of society or the drive to succeed at any cost on the part of the competitors?

I am not sure why it is. One can reach the top and still have basic manners.

My mother always says “Nobody is too big to be polite some are too small”.

I wish I had the answer but I don’t know why people feel it is necessary to be impolite to get what you want. I just don’t know Huh Undecided Huh

My mother - in -law used to remind my husband all the time:
"The higher up the tree the monkey climbs, the more is ass shows."
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 04:20:10 AM »

that is an interesting expression.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »

yes thanks DSV - say hi to medira from us all when you see her Smiley

perhaps we can have a thread on competition presentation technique here - I just started one on watching dancers which might work...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 08:14:53 AM »

yes it would be great to hear what has changed from last year, what is vouge with styling and clothing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »

Oh, yes, please!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »

yes thanks DSV - say hi to medira from us all when you see her Smiley

I am sure I will see her tonight. I will say hello from you all when I see her.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »

I have been here for so many years that I can't really separate one year from the next. One year runs into the next. The years are more tied together with the champions at the time. I can separate dance generations but not year for year. I really don’t remember what they wore last year and therefore can’t tell you what is different. You should really have one of the dress maker’s comments on this aspect. When it comes to fashion of dancing, I can only think of that in terms of dance generations rather then from year to year. I can’t really say there is a new trend that they are doing this year that they didn’t do last year. There is a difference between the dancers holding the titles from the previous champion. Dancing at a high level is more about the individual couple’s interpretation of dancing rather then a fashion thing. It becomes fashion because many lower level couples copy the top couples, instead of looking within and find out who and what they are about and then use the format of ballroom dancing to show that.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »

Perhaps when Ballroom Dancing turned the corner to become a "sport" politeness forgot to turn with it.   

That might be the answer....as I said before I really don't know. I thought "sportsmanship" was a term in sports about being polite but I am not native English speaking and have actually never look up the word. I will do that when I get home. Maybe my understanding of that word is totally wrong.

I think this is something that needs to be fixed at a grass-roots level.  This time at Nationals, I could count on one hand the polite couples.  Everyone was rude and pushy, completely not the environment I expected from a major competition.  I guess it was more felt there because there was so many of us in a relatively small space.  

I have seen many coaches "train" their students to be, for the lack of a better phrase, "asset-holes" (that should get it through the profanity filter!).  I have been told many many times that I need to be a jerk, from the on-deck area all the way until I walk out of the competition hall.  They said if you're "nice" then everyone will assume you're a bad dancer and the judges will have no respect for you.  I personally think this is bolshoi (sic) because dancing is supposed to be about expressing who you are as a person and the dancing should speak for itself.  I know I'm probably trying to live in some sort of dance utopia but Gandhi said something to the effect of, "be the change you want to see in the world".  I believe that if I'm nice and polite, then there's one less asset-hole to worry about.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:29:17 PM by Some guy » Logged
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »

I know I'm probably trying to live in some sort of dance utopia but Gandhi said something to the effect of, "be the change you want to see in the world".  I believe that if I'm nice and polite, then there's one less asset-hole to worry about.   Cheesy

Stick with it.  I feel exactly the same way so between us we now have two less asset-holes in the world.  We shall prevail !

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »

Hey that makes 3 of us ... or rather 4 because I know Dream and I are SOOOOOOOO not asset-holes.

we are the nice people. And I agree in order to effect change, one must start with oneself regardless if it is not the "popular" thing to do.

SG ... I must admit I know you pick up on the "feelings" and "undercurrents" or rather energy of people ... but my experience at Nationals really was quite the opposite with the few exceptions (and I mean few, thankfully). I found most to be genuinely nice, courteous and helpful, from the competitors, coaches, judges and pros (I have to admit too that I had a buffer with my mentor/mom there to help). Honestly with that much talent that was there this year ... I was amazed at the kindness. (but then again, and we discussed this, I am not usually so good at energies of people around me unless it is tangible that I could actually cut it with a knife)

Now on floor craft of some of the couples .... well .... that definitely needed to be worked on!  Cheesy Wink

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »

Thanks, Emmy!  I like to think of myself as a non "asset-hole".

I'm wondering if some of the competitors take the "attitude" they project on the dance floor and make it part of their persona off the dance floor.  I simply refuse to believe dance is attracting so many rude and unkind people.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »

thanks again for the updates DSV - you may have noticed that some of the posts have not been appearing in the right order here - for a while the post counter was down about 350 posts and I was quite worried.  Also, the boards were not refreshing correctly - I contacted the internet service provider - and I think we are back on track.

thanks also for distributing all those flyers for us - lets hope we get some 'bites'.

I am so longing to be there, what an awful shame it will be if it is moved before I see it!  Actually to be accurate I probably did see Wintergardens when I was a kid but I can't remember it at all.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »

SG ... I must admit I know you pick up on the "feelings" and "undercurrents" or rather energy of people ... but my experience at Nationals really was quite the opposite with the few exceptions (and I mean few, thankfully). I found most to be genuinely nice, courteous and helpful, from the competitors, coaches, judges and pros (I have to admit too that I had a buffer with my mentor/mom there to help). Honestly with that much talent that was there this year ... I was amazed at the kindness. (but then again, and we discussed this, I am not usually so good at energies of people around me unless it is tangible that I could actually cut it with a knife)

Now on floor craft of some of the couples .... well .... that definitely needed to be worked on!  Cheesy Wink

Off the floor is where I felt the brunt of the rudeness.  Especially in the on-deck area: people will just shove right past you or spray hair-spray on themselves without a care in the world as to who stood around them; they would just glare at everyone around them like it was their fault for being in the line of fire.  My partner and I were shoved and pushed around like never before.  That in and of itself was enough to put us off of attending Nationals again.  However, now that I know what to expect, we won't be too bothered by it next time around.  Mind you, this was between heats, so it wasn't like we were in the way of anybody trying to get on the dance floor.  We were appalled at how rude they were.  I couldn't understand why because whenever I said, "excuse me" to get past someone, they seemed to understand just fine and step out of the way!  I didn't need to shove/push/glare.  I noticed that at the pre-champ levels, people were MUCH nicer.  It was at the champ levels that I encountered most of the hostility.  I was particular disturbed by the fact that it was mainly the younger dancers that were so rude.  The older dancers were much more courteous and civilized. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:52:25 PM by Some guy » Logged
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »

Off the floor is where I felt the brunt of the rudeness.  Especially in the on-deck area: people will just shove right past you or spray hair-spray on themselves without a care in the world as to who stood around them; they would just glare at everyone around them like it was their fault for being in the line of fire.  My partner and I were shoved and pushed around like never before.  That in and of itself was enough to put us off of attending Nationals again.  However, now that I know what to expect, we won't be too bothered by it next time around.  Mind you, this was between heats, so it wasn't like we were in the way of anybody trying to get on the dance floor.  We were appalled at how rude they were.  I couldn't understand why because whenever I said, "excuse me" to get past someone, they seemed to understand just fine and step out of the way!  I didn't need to shove/push/glare.  I noticed that at the pre-champ levels, people were MUCH nicer.  It was at the champ levels that I encountered most of the hostility.  I was particular disturbed by the fact that it was mainly the younger dancers that were so rude.  The older dancers were much more courteous and civilized. 

WOW oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very different perspective and I am floored!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: