partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:31:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool - Report from DSV
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool - Report from DSV  (Read 6113 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 02:49:26 AM »

Hey DSV.  Hope you are having a good time over there.  If you can remember to ask for info from the hair people I would appreciate it. 
You are going to be one very tired person when you get back but I'm sure it's worth it.  We have to do a group trip over there some day.

I will be tired when the week is over. I have done this for almost 3 decades and it still surprises me every time how tired one can get. I do survive every year and that is the main point.  Wink Grin

I will talk to the hair people tomorrow. Today is going to be very hectic with all the kids and grandkids that I have dancing. Not to worry it is on the list of things that I need to get done while here this week.  Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »

This is on my list to that I am compiling for you Dora. I can not wait, what an experience it will be!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »

I can almost feel it across this ocean what you are writing.  Grin

My best to you, the kids and grandkids! What an exciting time.

I can not wait til you get back ... MAJOR phone call! Hugs and miss you much!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 02:59:50 AM »

This is on my list to that I am compiling for you Dora. I can not wait, what an experience it will be!

We will be happy to have you here ED. If you do have a passion for dancing, then it is an experience that one should give to oneself at once in a lifetime.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 03:06:12 AM »

I can almost feel it across this ocean what you are writing.  Grin

My best to you, the kids and grandkids! What an exciting time.

I can not wait til you get back ... MAJOR phone call! Hugs and miss you much!

If you couldn't come to Blackpool, I will try to bring Blackpool to you. Wink

Thank you, we all look forward to having you all here to cheer them on next year. They are getting excited and a little nervous all of them.  Grin

I will be back for one day on Sunday and then I have another business trip. So you need to call Sunday or the Thursday after that. I look forward to your call and hearing about your wonderful experiences.  Smiley

Hugs to you and miss you too Grin

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 05:35:16 AM »

Had me bacon, eggs, toast, wee bit of juice and cup a tea. I will be off to the Wintergardens for the day. I might not be able to post anything until tonight. Till later then…    Wink Grin

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 06:54:27 AM »

what a great idea R - we can take over an entire large B&B Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »

I look forward to hearing about some of the dancing, I tried to look at the website but found it confusing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

DPO: are you looking at the blackpool site or dancesportinfo?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

I know you have alot to do there so whenever time permits.  Glad to hear you are having a good time.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »

Well, I am back from my first day of dancing.

I drove to Imperial Hotel and left some PDO flyers at the American practice room. Had a little talk to one of my good friends that has a vendor stand next to the practice room. From there I went to get my English phone. I then decided to pick up my tickets and go meet another friend. He needed to pick up his ticket so we walked back to the Wintergardens to pick up his ticket. All things here are an easy walk away. We then meet with some other friends at on of the restaurants just a short walk from the front entrance. We talked for a little bit and then I left to go see the first round of the Rising Star Professional Standard. I meet with all my kids and they were as ready as they could get. There were a lot of not so good couples dancing in the first round making it difficult for the better dancers to move. One of my couples had to pull out because of an incident to her ankle. It was a little easier after the first cut. The American couple did a good showing. Some of the couples were happy with what they had done but thought they could have gone further. Other couples were totally upset with their result. It was basically a totally normal year when it comes to Blackpool. Another thing that is very typical of Blackpool, is the change to meet good friends, former students and acquaintances that you haven’t seen for a year and sometimes many years. It would take anywhere from 10 minutes to 20 minutes just to get from one side of the hall to the other because of stopping to talk to people you hadn’t see for such a long time. I would leave the couples in time enough to both talk and get back to my seat.

It was 7 rounds from first round to the final. The couple that won was my favorite from the first round. I liked their ease of movement and their very soft style of dance. I was fortunate enough to sit between my dance sister (my former dance mother) and one of my dance husbands on the first row in the final. So I really had a change to see the couples that made the final.

Now I am sitting here back in my hotel room with a cup of tea and giving you all my report for the day. This is a short version of what all happened today. I have tried to condense it, so you don’t have to read for hours.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:29 AM »

lovely - my pro and partner did not make the quarters so I know they are going to be somewhat disappointed - but it seemed an enormous field - was this typical for rising star pro?  I hope hey are in the pros as well...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05:54 AM »

lovely - my pro and partner did not make the quarters so I know they are going to be somewhat disappointed - but it seemed an enormous field - was this typical for rising star pro?  I hope hey are in the pros as well...

Actually the first two rounds had several, what I would call Pro/Am couples dancing. To me it was not one of the strong years. The newly turned amateurs didn’t danced, which is lowering the quality. I sat there from round one to the last round and must say I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the dancing. Well the lectures on Saturday and Sunday had several lecturers complain about the same thing. I am sorry that your pro didn’t do so well. I must say I had a hard time finding him and I knew who I was looking for. So it is understandable that the judges didn’t see him. I thought he could have make maybe one more round, but if the judges don’t see you they can’t mark you. There is a very special technique to dancing Blackpool and unfortunately I saw many couple yesterday that didn’t understand how to dance this competition. I guess they will learn with time.

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 05:13:20 AM »

I had my breakfast and as I was sitting there one of the judges came up to me to say hello. He told me that he was very disappointed with the quality of dancing and the manners of the competitors. He only judged the evening rounds and didn’t see the poor quality of the dancing in the first rounds. I guess the lack of quality is the talk of the town here, this week.

I will now be heading over to the Wintergardens. I will be driving to the Imperial to check on the flyers there and then take the shuttle into the Wintergardens. I am going to watch several of my grandkids today. I have some that are dancing latin and some in the youth standard. I am hopefully also going to meet Medira later this evening. I will give my report later tonight when I get back to my hotel room.

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 07:34:30 AM »

Thanks for the update.. Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »