partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Expression
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Expression  (Read 7457 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »

"Hold on to what you know." 

Benny Tolmeyer used to say that all the time.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »

But where is the line between focusing on the technique, which I am still learning, and letting go?  This is what I suppose I am struggling wih right now.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »

But where is the line between focusing on the technique, which I am still learning, and letting go?  This is what I suppose I am struggling wih right now.

When you are doing things in slow motion or in “practice hold” then you are allowed to think and go through technique. When you are in “dance hold” then you "dance". You think about technique and then once you are ready for the test drive, then you let go. If the test drive was a success then you were ready to let go of the technique. If the test drive didn’t work then you go back to doing it in slow motion, “practice hold’ and focus on technique again, until you do the next test drive.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

...but don't be afraid to let it go Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »

...but don't be afraid to let it go Wink

He actually only said it to very few people. He said it often to those few people to remind us of the path we were on (RB truth) Wink. He only said it to the ones he felt that knew the insights and the truth.

Edward Teller
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »

I was amazed that all of this came together for me, the biggest thing the most important thing, was listening totally to my partners body, letting him flow around and through me, what he was "telling" me non verbally, how his body was interpreting the music and translating that message to me.

emeralddancer, this was an AMAZING post!  Loved reading it!  You're at a whole different level: the only person who described what you did (but nowhere near as romantically as you did) was my coach.  I would love to dance with you someday... in the hopes of experiencing even a fraction of what you described.  

LOL thank you for the lovely compliment. Though it is still a work in progress. Would love the opportunity to dance with you as well!!!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:30 PM »

Imagine in the middle of your dancing there is the eye of a storm; a moment of stillness;silence when you find that you will see from the inside what you need to show others on the outside

Love this

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »

being in the moment and feeling the music, good music can inspire you to show great emotion.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »

When you are doing things in slow motion or in “practice hold” then you are allowed to think and go through technique. When you are in “dance hold” then you "dance". You think about technique and then once you are ready for the test drive, then you let go. If the test drive was a success then you were ready to let go of the technique. If the test drive didn’t work then you go back to doing it in slow motion, “practice hold’ and focus on technique again, until you do the next test drive.

Dora-Satya Veda

I see now.  We are starting to work more during a practice hold so I can see and feel how I am supposed to be moving. 

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Sarosh
pre-bronze

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 10:06:08 AM »

I think one becomes expressive through imagery and playing.  Kids are expressive for that reason.  They have great imaginations and their sole desire is to explore and play.  Get pictures in your mind about what the steps mean to you.  Then, you will start to discover  some interesting things.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

I think one becomes expressive through imagery and playing.  Kids are expressive for that reason.  They have great imaginations and their sole desire is to explore and play.  Get pictures in your mind about what the steps mean to you.  Then, you will start to discover  some interesting things.

I totally agree here. I was always told to think of dancing like playing (airplane, falling down, swing set and many more games). We learn with no judgment, when we are kids. Get in a child's mindset and you are going to learn much faster. Use games and toys to see and feel what you need to do in dancing. Dance with a light heart and child’s mind.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »

when you totally involved with your dancing, feel the music, the joy of dancing would be showing

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »

when you totally involved with your dancing, feel the music, the joy of dancing would be showing

Yes, I have to totally agree on that point. The feelings and expressions will come from within, when you get totally involved in the dance.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »

Amazing the negative reactions I got when I suggested that some time ago.   The answer was that you have to look happy always so it was safer to fake it.  MY response is that if you have to fake it it won't look like happyness anyway...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »

If you fake a happy look you create tension in the face. That tension is then very likely to move to other parts of the body. If the tension moves to other parts of the body, you could end up doing things that are technically bad as a result of the tension.  Sad

I was never told to smile by any of my teachers or even told to attempt to show a happy face. It was made clear to me that the emotions should come from within and that judges can see the fake expression, if you do that. Because of my teachers never telling me to fake a happy face, I have never told a student to do a happy face. I tell then to look within and let the expression, if they have any, show. When the dancing starts feeling good, then that feeling will soon show without great effort. Cheesy

I think this is one great reason to keep things simple and RBed Wink. It is easier to be happy when you are with a light heart and in a child's mindset.  Grin Cheesy Grin

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: