partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Expression
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Expression  (Read 6220 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »

Imagine in the middle of your dancing there is the eye of a storm; a moment of stillness;silence when you find that you will see from the inside what you need to show others on the outside

Its a good thought and once in awhile I almost can find it.  However, when I do that, I usually overbalance or step out of V. Waltz or something to cause the dancing to end.  I am not that advanced!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »

do you practise alone?  I wish they taught us from the outset that if you can't dance by yourself you can't really dance wiht someone else.  If you do that then you get the confidence to dance through...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »

Its a good thought and once in awhile I almost can find it.  However, when I do that, I usually overbalance or step out of V. Waltz or something to cause the dancing to end.  I am not that advanced!

Elisedance is right, the first thing to be able to do is to dance it yourself.  At the risk of going off on a slight tangent, I'll be the first here to admit that what we're talking about is not advanced.  It's actually making things much easier.  It's actually so easy that I had trouble coming to terms with how easy it was.  I had a LOT of trouble with that.  I couldn't reconcile how complex I thought it all was versus how easy it really was in comparison.  There's another one of Bruce Lee's quotes which I think summarizes the dance teacher's biggest challenge:  "it is simple in its execution, although not so simple to explain". 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:53:29 PM by Some guy » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »

"it is simple in its execution, although not so simple to explain".

This is so true and what makes a great teacher, how they can articulate what needs to be done to people differently so they understand it as not everyone learns in the same way.

Bit like raising children  Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 05:16:09 AM »

wow BTM - love it.  And I have a lot of storms to have eyes in !

but beware of teacups!

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »

The Panther

His gaze, going past those bars, has got so misted?
with tiredness, it can take in nothing more.
?He feels as though a thousand bars existed,
?and no more world beyond them than before.

??Those supply powerful paddings, turning there
?in tiniest of circles, well might be
?the dance of forces round a center where
?some mighty will stands paralyticly.?

?Just now and then the pupils' noiseless shutter
?is lifted. - Then an image will indart,
?down through the limbs' intensive stillness flutter,
?and end its being in the heart.

[Rainer Maria Rilke]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAvANPIPkw

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »

In that video clip where they were doing the basic rumba the gentleman said one thing I found very important: "Hold on to what you know."  My Latin coach always works hard on getting the best technique for herself and lord love her, she is always trying to get me reach her level.  So when I'm working with her I'm always striving for that which will be, always just a little bit pre-occupied with getting things right.  It's hard to be IN the dance when you're worried ABOUT the dance.   Now recently my AT partner is working on her Rumba, and I was practicing with her.  Oh my goodness, it was pure fun.  I didn't have to worry about advanced figures or off beat syncopation, just down to the ground basic technique and flow.  I'm feeling the music, the music is pushing me and it's moving through me into her.  There's no trouble with getting expression when that's happening.  Well all that exposition is simply to say sometimes I feel I'm being pushed and pushed and pushed to stretch myself and I do realize you need to do that but sometimes it's really good to remember what you know, you know?   Smiley  Sometimes you gotta stop and smell the roses.   Grin
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »

It's hard to be IN the dance when you're worried ABOUT the dance.

This is so true...and when you are worried, the expression part is not happening...I am slowly getting comfortable enough to remember to smile (not in all dances yet) and using the body more to express the dance.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »

It's hard to be IN the dance when you're worried ABOUT the dance.

This is so true...and when you are worried, the expression part is not happening...I am slowly getting comfortable enough to remember to smile (not in all dances yet) and using the body more to express the dance.

That's right, when you constantly have "am I doing this right?", or worse, "I hope I won't mess this up" thought running in your head, expression goes down the drain.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »

[I thought this video might be apt for this.  It's Bryan Watson and Carman dancing BASIC rumba.  I never new basics could be so expressive and beautiful.  My eyes were a little more moist than I care to admit after watching it.  Bryan mentions one of the great dance teachers who has passed away.  Dora-Satya Veda here on PDO learned from the same teacher. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye5Gd2pv6wg&feature=rec-HM-r2

This is video proof that there's a HUGE difference between "doing" the technique and "expressing" the technique.  Like Bruce Lee says, if we cling blindly to technique you will be restriced by its limitations.

Thank you for posting that link SG.

Dora-Satya Veda

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:28:08 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »

...there's a HUGE difference between "doing" the technique and "expressing" the technique.  Like Bruce Lee says, if we cling blindly to technique you will be restriced by its limitations.

nothing much to add - I just wanted to quote that incase anyone missed it as I think it bears acutely on the whole left-brain/right-brain discussion.
(I suppose I did add something after all Smiley)

Nothing to add either....

You all are touching me deeply. I know my teacher would be touched as well if he saw this.

Dora-Satya Veda
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:27:42 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »

For those of us who have yet to master it, we hang on to what we have in our toolbox fiercely!

You will be amazed how well you will do, once you let go. I promise you will survive and survive well.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »

and you become your own biggest enemy....
one has to learn to let go and the sooner you start the better.  without it you simply can not do 'in the moment'dancing.

the absolute key is to learn that its OK to make mistakes, indeed, as in most skills we learn some mistakes simply have to be made, you have to get past them so just do them earlier!

Wow...I am so happy and impressed how you understand these great insights. Thank you for speaking them out loud. My teacher would be not only smiling, he would be applauding as well. You have come so far. It is surely wonderful to read. Thank you fro not keeping it to yourself and continue this the cover up of this great secret.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »

Imagine in the middle of your dancing there is the eye of a storm; a moment of stillness;silence when you find that you will see from the inside what you need to show others on the outside

Wow, what a wonderful way to describe it. Thank you BTM

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

It's actually making things much easier.  It's actually so easy that I had trouble coming to terms with how easy it was.  I had a LOT of trouble with that.  I couldn't reconcile how complex I thought it all was versus how easy it really was in comparison.  There's another one of Bruce Lee's quotes which I think summarizes the dance teacher's biggest challenge:  "it is simple in its execution, although not so simple to explain". 

You are so right SG.

If you still find dancing a mystery or difficult then please read and reread this many times. You need to be willing to accept the truth before you will know the truth.

It is so easy that it borders the ridiculously easy.  That is one of the biggest problems. It is so easy that people don’t want to believe you (the teacher). Bruce Lee basically sums it up. I often find people saying that it is easy for me to say, it is easy as I am already able to do it. It is so easy that all can get to do, what the great dancer, do if they would only accept the way top dancers think. Thinking and accepting the way a top dancer think is one of the biggest challenges there is in dancing.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: