partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 10:57:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  Read any good books lately?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Read any good books lately?  (Read 10260 times)
captain jep
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »

Has anyone read anything by Leonard Cohen?

I didnt know he'd written anything. Except poetry that is :-)

Do not go gently into that good night ...
captain jep
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »

for the geeks out there, Id recommend the John Sandford Kidd series. Kidd is a painter by inclination and a computer hacker/criminal by profession. The books are a great brew of thriller and computer tech. Any of them are good.

another thriller series I really like are the Barry Eisner Rain series. The hero John Rain is an assassin but one with principles. It's a bit like Dexter. Many of the books are set in Japan so they're fascinating for anyone interested in Japanese culture.

Do not go gently into that good night ...
flashdance
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »

for the geeks out there, Id recommend the John Sandford Kidd series. Kidd is a painter by inclination and a computer hacker/criminal by profession. The books are a great brew of thriller and computer tech. Any of them are good.

another thriller series I really like are the Barry Eisner Rain series. The hero John Rain is an assassin but one with principles. It's a bit like Dexter. Many of the books are set in Japan so they're fascinating for anyone interested in Japanese culture.

those John sanford Kidd series sound interesting. Will have to look those up Smiley

I'm still sitting on a load of books I've still not managed to get round to reading properly...

The Brief History of the Computer Demoscene
The Red Shoes
Tapworks
Digital Retro
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 03:50:36 AM »

If you haven't read "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire, do it!!  It's really fantastic.  Though I guess it's not for everyone, both of my parents read it and found it a little too...something....not sure what.  I don't think they liked the way the book looks at the characters' psychology.  Found it a bit slow, I think.  I guess it isn't much of an action book, but I enjoyed it very much (each of the zillion times I've read it).  Also love anything by Garth Nix, which is more fantasy based. 
Have you read any of his books other than Wicked?  My favourite of all of his releases is still Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
ThisIsNotMe
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

I haven't yet, but I've been keeping an eye out for them...they're not around in most bookshops around here; I might have to go into the city for Borders or something...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »

Have you read any of his books other than Wicked?  My favourite of all of his releases is still Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

just ordered that  Smiley

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai Più Senza! ~

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 08:55:10 AM »

Good books? Yes, The Weathermakers, (Tim Flannery), Aboriginal Australia (Bourke, Bourke and Edwards), A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson) and I'm waiting for the arrival of Heaven and Earth; Global Warming, the Missing Science by Ian Plimer

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

just ordered that  Smiley
Wonderful!  You'll have to let me know what you think. Smiley

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 11:00:06 AM »

I am ready a fabulous book right now called....

The Divine Matrix...bridging time, space, miracles and belief

by

Gregg Braden

There is a lot of information that can be used in dancing as well as in life. As you all know by now....I think they are one and the same. Wink  Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
chachacat
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

I just read my favorite author's last book. Donald E. Westlake passed on in January. Cry
It was wonderful, as always. It's called Get Real, but if you've never read his books, I'd recommend starting at the beginning of the series with Hot Rock.
FUNNY! And extremely well written comic caper gang.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »

I picked up "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson? in the airport on a whim last week (or was it two weeks ago..?) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Apparently, his second book, "The Girl Who Played with Fire" came out inbookstores yesterday.  I'm looking forward to picking it up before traveling this weekend. Smiley

----------------
Now playing: The Ames Brothers - Sentimental Me
via FoxyTunes

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »

to avoid; the Melancholy of Resistance

listening to an audiobook of The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner
(in the car as news too depressing)

and reading Intimacy & Solitude by Stephanie Dowrick.. highly recommended

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »

I'm having a clear out so good home wanted for the following:

Walden; Thoreau
Anansi Boys; Neil Gaiman
Scourge and Fire;Savanorola and Renaissance Italy; Lauro Martines (HB)
Flights of Love; Bernard Schlink
Eric Gill (biog) Fiona McArthy

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »

Read 3 books of Gregg Braden.....wow great books...he combined all four of my main teachers/mentors in my life into a few books.

Wonderful.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »

I wandered into Borders over lunch today.  First time in weeks I've been in a bookstore, which is an oddity.  I walked out with a dozen books.  Shocked

Addicted?  Me?  Never!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: