partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 04:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  Read any good books lately?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Read any good books lately?  (Read 11346 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 05:48:04 AM »

don't mean to be fascetious but masters of what? 

Why don't you read one of them and find out. Wink
ah, masters of teasing eh? Cheesy

I'm a lousy reader - most of my reading is work stuff ... I like to hang out with the other team Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »

Write It When I'm Gone - Gerald Ford/Thomas DeFrank

Fever The Life and Music of Miss Peggy Lee by Peter Richmond
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:05:41 AM by Burgess Penguin » Logged

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »

I am listening to an audiobook of Proust's Swanns Way on tape 5 of 14.

reading Finding Flow by Mihaly Cs...something ...csikszentmihalyi

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 12:05:02 AM »

Currently reading The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan / Brandon Sanderson
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »

Is it any good?
I stopped at...3? I think. Because I couldn't get hold of the rest of the series and they're all such doorstops.

Doorstops don't put me off, but having to re-read them because I waited too long to get the next book...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 01:06:12 PM »

The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson another nordic masterpiece.

"Anyone familiar with Jansson knows it would be unwise to dismiss her or patronise her work on any grounds. Her books for children are complex, subtle, psychologically tricky, funny and unnerving; their morality, though never compromised, is never simple. Thus her transition to adult fiction involved no great change. Her everyday Swedes are quite as strange as trolls, and her Swedish village in winter is as beautiful and dangerous as any forest of fantasy.

If a transformation has taken place, it is in the nature of her writing. The language is more than ever spare, lean, taut, minimalist. These adjectives describe a good deal of modern narrative prose – the modishly anorectic style, well suited to thrillers, police procedurals and the existential noir, but very limited in range. Jansson's range, though effortlessly controlled, is great. Her spare exactness can express not only tension and stress but deeply felt emotion, expansion, relaxation and peace. Her description is unhurried, accurate and vivid, an artist's vision. Her style is not at all "poetic" – quite the contrary. It is prose of the very highest order; it is pure prose. Through its quiet clarity we see unreachable depths, threatening darkness, promised treasures. The sentences are beautiful in structure, movement and cadence. They have inevitable rightness. And this is a translation! Thomas Teal deserves to have his name on the title page with Jansson's: he has worked the true translator's miracle.

I wish I could quote whole pages, but a paragraph must do:

If it got really cold, it didn't make sense to go on working. The shed wasn't insulated, and the stove was barely able to warm it enough to keep their hands from stiffening. They locked it up and went home. But on the seaward side where the boats were launched, the doors had a latch that was easy to open. Mats would go out on the ice with his cod hook and when no one was in sight he'd go into the boat shed. Sometimes he'd go on with his work, usually details so trivial that no one noticed they'd been done. But most times he just sat quietly in the peaceful snowlight. He never felt cold.

The main characters are Anna Aemalin, a successful illustrator of children's books, and Katri, whose only love and ambition is for the younger brother left in her care, Mats, a shy, slow, gentle fellow. Then there are honest Liljeberg the boat-builder, the wise Madame Nygard, the malicious storekeeper, a little horde of village children, and Katri's dog. Nameless, silent and yellow-eyed, the dog is yellow-eyed Katri's creature. And she flatters herself on her own wolfish superiority to other people: "My dog and I despise them. We're hidden in our own secret life, concealed in our innermost wildness."

No one in the village seems to be married, and the relationship that will form between the two solitary women, Katri and Anna, is not sexual, though it is intensely passionate, fiercely unstable, destructive and transformative. Anna, far wealthier than Katri, keeps her parents' house piously unchanged, and illustrates little books for which the publisher provides the words. Her paintings are marvellously truthful depictions of the forest floor, patterns of leaf, twig, moss, lichen . . . to which she adds the cute bunnies of the publisher's texts. She spends much time answering letters from her child readers, and none in looking after her business interests. She sleeps, sleeps all winter until spring comes and she can see the living ground and paint it.

Wolfish young Katri, determined to provide security for her brother, and also the fishing boat that is his one heart's desire, fakes a robbery of Anna's house in order to make her afraid to live alone, and pushes her way into Anna's service and confidence. Before long she appears to be in full control and has thrown out all the old furniture and the comfortable lies that let Anna sleep. But Anna, awake now, is not the bunny-rabbit she seemed, any more than Katri is truly the wolf. The unfolding of their story through vivid contrast and interplay of truthfulness and deceit, purity and complexity, ice and thaw, winter and spring, makes the most beautiful and satisfying novel I have read this year."

the Guardian

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 01:20:10 AM »

Is it any good?
I stopped at...3? I think. Because I couldn't get hold of the rest of the series and they're all such doorstops.

Doorstops don't put me off, but having to re-read them because I waited too long to get the next book...

Yeah, I'm loving it!
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 01:19:51 AM »

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Excellent book and follows the adventures of Robert Langdon from The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.  This will probably be the next movie made.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 05:28:11 AM »

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Very good book, did highly enjoy reading that one

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »

I can't recommend a book as i have not read one for ages. I just dont have the time or the attention span to start one Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »

Perhaps I'll write the three-word book - for people like you and me Q to say that we read a book 'yesterday'

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2010, 01:25:37 AM »

Perhaps I'll write the three-word book - for people like you and me Q to say that we read a book 'yesterday'

Yes a book that is as long as an article in a magazine, my reading material while on the loo!  Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:38 AM »

Homer's Odyssey
A fearless Feline Tale, Or, How I learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat

by Gwen Cooper

If you are an animal lover and have a pet you love dearly you will like this book.  It is a true story and makes us realize how amazing animals really are and how much we can learn from them. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 10:44:16 PM »

The Bear Comes Home by Rafi Zabor

Hilarious and deep novel about a freakishly gifted bear who plays alto sax, lives in New York and his continuing misadventures in the pursuit of truth, beauty, art, perfection and love.

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: