partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:45:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Cost of going to a pro-am comp
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cost of going to a pro-am comp  (Read 2894 times)
dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »

Yet, here in Canada, on more than one occasion in the past year, I have seen Pro-AM couples show up at comps and enter only the scholarship events.  No single entries, not even 3 dance championships. 

True, it isn't stated anywhere in writing on these particular competitions' literature, websites or the entry forms that a minimum number of entries are required in order to compete in scholarship. 

Yet they take 1st place and the prize money, thereby winning more than they spent to enter the competition (excluding of course all other expenses).

Shame on the organizers for allowing it.

If you aren't on your way out to dance then you are going the wrong way...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »

I don't understand why you object?  I think thats how it should be - why should one have to pay in more than one collects?  I've never heard that for any other kind of competition - even lotteries you can get more out than the number of tickets you buy...

One might say the opposite - what kind of fool would enter a competition where they are guaranteed to make a loss?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »

Then we are all foolish - besides look at my ID name    Smiley

If you aren't on your way out to dance then you are going the wrong way...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

I agree we all are - if the competition is to make money.  Of course, its not - we do it primarily to show that we can dance better than the other competitors so the prize is only a small factor.  However, other people who do competitions for gain might well think of us as foolish (which is what I meant).

Still, I don't see anything wrong with a competition where if one won one came out ahead... after all, thats what all the pros are doing Wink

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 03:10:12 PM »

I usually pay - entries, my expenses, share of pro's expenses, his daily fee. I usually do 2 sets of single dances, and a scholarship for each style I enter + dancesport series event if it is offered. When I do 2 styles, that usually comes out to about $2000. I keep my scholarship wins, if I get any.
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »

I usually pay - entries, my expenses, share of pro's expenses, his daily fee. I usually do 2 sets of single dances, and a scholarship for each style I enter + dancesport series event if it is offered. When I do 2 styles, that usually comes out to about $2000. I keep my scholarship wins, if I get any.

I'm hearing ya, ttd.  You know the money is going back into dance anyway as addicted as we are. 

I've heard that some competitions don't allow people to only register for scholarships and nothing else, La Classique coming to mind but I could be wrong.  This isn't altruistic; they simply want to make sure they make some of their money back before they give it out, if you'll excuse the odd grammar.  Sorta like Vegas where the house always wins.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »

I'm hearing ya, ttd.  You know the money is going back into dance anyway as addicted as we are. 

I've heard that some competitions don't allow people to only register for scholarships and nothing else, La Classique coming to mind but I could be wrong.  This isn't altruistic; they simply want to make sure they make some of their money back before they give it out, if you'll excuse the odd grammar.  Sorta like Vegas where the house always wins.
I think OSB is one competition which allows you to enter just the scholarship, but they're also very big and they do not offer closed scholarships, just the open ones. Also, I heard that some people (especially at higher levels) do not bother doing their single dances, even if they're required to register for them and just do the scholarship (thus it looks as if they did not have to enter the singles, but in fact they just did not show up for them), but personally I would not do that, I would use them as warm up (but on other hand I might, if I were in a situation when scholarship and single dances are in different sessions).
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 10:04:34 PM »

I am glad we don't  dance in that way. local comps cost between $15-30 to enter interstate comps are dearer $60-120 but that is the same if you were going to watch we pay no more. We don't pay for our coach to go, we go with out them or they are their judging. I would have to re-evaluate my comp aspirations, I just would not be able to afford it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »

You are fortunate QPO - you have a partner that dances.  Think of it instead two ways:
First, if the choice was do pro/am or don't compete at all (I know it doesn't have to but it generally also means don't learn dance at the highest levels).

Second, what if you wanted to dance at the highest level and money was not a restriction?  I mean at a level that your partner (bless him) could not achieve even if he took infinite lessons?  The existence of pro/am adds to teh dance opportunities, it takes nothing away.  Indeed, because of all the cash (which is admitedly crazy) it means that there are far more competitions that amateur couples can attend.

Thus, for dancesport, I think pro/am is a total plus/plus.  Indeed, I think you are going to see a gradual emergence of NAmerican partner dancing becaues of the increased opportunities afforded by pro/am. 

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »

I am glad we don't  dance in that way. local comps cost between $15-30 to enter interstate comps are dearer $60-120 but that is the same if you were going to watch we pay no more. We don't pay for our coach to go, we go with out them or they are their judging. I would have to re-evaluate my comp aspirations, I just would not be able to afford it.

You do have a small pro-am field in Australia, though. And they sometimes travel to US to compete. How much do those dancers pay for competition?

There was a pro-am couple from Australia at the last competition I went to. I know what her entry costs were based on the events she did, and how much the hotel cost at that competition. I have no idea how much she had to pay for airfare and how much her teacher charger her to dance with him, but I imagine the airfare was much more than my own transportation expenses for that comp.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »

When I competed Pro-Am with my pro in Toronto, he would charge a reasonable fee for each single dance entry and a slightly larger per-dance fee for championship and scholarship events, with the assumption that the field would usually be large enough that there would be at least a semi.  In addition to that, there was a daily flat fee.  It was my choice what entries I wanted to do and how much I wanted to spend.

I never did any traveling competitions with him, though we were considering La Classique one year, just before I got shipped off to the US for work, and his fee structure was the same, the only additional cost was a share in his hotel and train ticket, split with the other students who were going.  He's been retired from pro competition for quite a few years now, so there was never that consideration.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »

sounds like a really reasonable pro M...

I agree entirely on the single dance vs multidance price difference - I see the former as a warm up and the latter as the competition since often the singles are uncontested.  I also think that the cost structure should be different at different advancement levels - and agree on teh single though I'm not sure how!  Anyone have any comments?

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »

That was a big part of the reason why I enjoyed working with him so much.  He was quite reasonable and fair.  That, and we got along amazingly well - fast friends. Smiley  It made me sad when I got back to Toronto after my last engagement and realized that I had progressed to the point where I would need to find someone more advanced.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »

You do have a small pro-am field in Australia, though. And they sometimes travel to US to compete. How much do those dancers pay for competition?

There was a pro-am couple from Australia at the last competition I went to. I know what her entry costs were based on the events she did, and how much the hotel cost at that competition. I have no idea how much she had to pay for airfare and how much her teacher charger her to dance with him, but I imagine the airfare was much more than my own transportation expenses for that comp.
I want to bump this up, because I am really interested to hear from our Aussie posters about pro-am down under.
cshorte
Newcomer

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »

wow sounds like this can get pretty complicated
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: