partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  What do you have to pay for a Lesson
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Print
Author Topic: What do you have to pay for a Lesson  (Read 14786 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »

I agree there are some good honest coaches out there, and like yourself I notice it is usually the independants who don't have to toe the studio rules.  Two of the three we have will stay longer for us on a regular basis. 

I wish some of our visiting coaches had time for that... when they come here, they're usually on a pretty tight schedule due to the travel time, and they can't go over because the next time slot is filled.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »

Also possible the more popular coaches/instructors would like to teach more (different) students in a day, so the move to 45 minutes. A way to spread their knowledge to more people (as well as make more money). Could possibly teach 2-3 more students in a full day.

I wish that were the reason - but if it was wouldn't they also charge proportionately less per lesson? Wink 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »

Also possible the more popular coaches/instructors would like to teach more (different) students in a day, so the move to 45 minutes. A way to spread their knowledge to more people (as well as make more money). Could possibly teach 2-3 more students in a full day.

I wish that were the reason - but if it was wouldn't they also charge proportionately less per lesson? Wink 

My teachers went from 1 hour to 45 minute format 2-3 years ago. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think price went down. I think more like when went to 45 minutes they kept the same price instead of periodic price increase for hour format. They did mention that 45 minutes allowed for more (different) students per day. I think an advantage of having more students from teacher's perspective is more chance for participation by students in showcases and competitions, thus more money.

Similar things happen in other areas such as when less food packaged in box, jar or can, but still keeping same price. Seems like prices never go down for anything, more likely going up.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:31 AM »

My teachers went from 1 hour to 45 minute format 2-3 years ago. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think price went down. I think more like when went to 45 minutes they kept the same price instead of periodic price increase for hour format. They did mention that 45 minutes allowed for more (different) students per day. I think an advantage of having more students from teacher's perspective is more chance for participation by students in showcases and competitions, thus more money.

Similar things happen in other areas such as when less food packaged in box, jar or can, but still keeping same price. Seems like prices never go down for anything, more likely going up.

But thats a heck of a self-raise - 25% pay increase overnight!  I think the rates should have gone down, say 15%, to compensate.  The teacher would then have a respectable 10% increase.   

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »

In my case, can't complain. Cost of lessons is still less than half of many visiting coaches and I think quality is as good or better. Have to look at total picture and decide if worth the price.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »

It would be good to hear from a studio owner about the hidden cost we don't know. Insurance often is a killer for business and the cancelled lessons. here they dont charge if you dont turn up so that would reduce down their income for a week, so it is very fluid and not reliable.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »

It would be good to hear from a studio owner about the hidden cost we don't know. Insurance often is a killer for business and the cancelled lessons. here they dont charge if you dont turn up so that would reduce down their income for a week, so it is very fluid and not reliable.

I'll have to ask our instructor (who's also the studio owner) about insurance... I haven't heard her mention it lately.  I don't think cancellations are a big problem.  What is a problem for her is that many of her students do a lot of job-related travel, and so her workload varies from week to week depending on how many of her students are available for lessons.  She does have some students (including us sometimes) who will take extra hours if they're available.

One thing I know is a problem is utilities.  Electricity rates have gone up twice this year, and keeping a ballroom full of dancing couples cool during the summer in Alabama is no mean feat.  The building came with a bunch of crappy old air conditioners that cost an arm and a leg to run.  They could save money if they could replace them with newer, more efficient units, but there's the up-front cost.  I've been shown a couple of eye-popping electric bills, and we have cheap electricity here compared to most of North America.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »

Donna & Alan Shingler offer lesson at $120 an hr, and they are 2 hours away from where we live.

Hmm....very very tempted, but reality tells me that I'm still a poor uni student.  Sad
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #248 on: August 24, 2011, 05:07:05 AM »

Donna & Alan Shingler offer lesson at $120 an hr, and they are 2 hours away from where we live.

Hmm....very very tempted, but reality tells me that I'm still a poor uni student.  Sad

yes so you do it every few months and not every week. I believe Donna is better than Alan, but I think that depends on how you like the message

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #249 on: August 24, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »

yes so you do it every few months and not every week. I believe Donna is better than Alan, but I think that depends on how you like the message

exactly - you may find it differs if you are the lead or the follow Wink

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2011, 03:45:13 AM »

we are having lessons with Daryl Davenport tomorrow for NV, at least it is a week before a comp so hope we will be able to implement some of the things we are learning.

$90 per lesson Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »

we are having lessons with Daryl Davenport tomorrow for NV, at least it is a week before a comp so hope we will be able to implement some of the things we are learning.

$90 per lesson Roll Eyes
45 minutes?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »

$90 per lesson Roll Eyes
45 minutes?
yep...we don't do it often thank goodness.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2011, 04:30:04 AM »

$90 per lesson Roll Eyes

Hmm....didn't know he's that expensive.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »

$90 per lesson Roll Eyes

Hmm....didn't know he's that expensive.

I think the studio puts on their  cost

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: