partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116439 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  What do you have to pay for a Lesson
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Print
Author Topic: What do you have to pay for a Lesson  (Read 14800 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #255 on: May 02, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »

So people here are mostly studying at independent studios that charge per lesson rather than packages?  Also, since it seems that many of the active participants here are not from the US (where there are a few big name franchise studios that have a certain price structure) let me just ask.  what is included in the price of lessons?  Just the lesson?  Group classes?  Parties?  And are long term contracts common where you are?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »

we have both options here and the chain schools have mixed membership....there re pros and cons of course. as I truly believe that one has to try for at lest 8 weeks before you can make  a decision whether to continue or not.

Sometimes it is best to try another school as their approach may suit you more, we all learn differently.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2013, 07:28:48 AM »

So people here are mostly studying at independent studios that charge per lesson rather than packages?  Also, since it seems that many of the active participants here are not from the US (where there are a few big name franchise studios that have a certain price structure) let me just ask.  what is included in the price of lessons?  Just the lesson?  Group classes?  Parties?  And are long term contracts common where you are?

All (or almost none) of the above.  I think many PDOodlers (but by no means all) take lessons from independent coaches since we want to maximize our training, rather than social, dollars.   I've done it all in the past though - and joining a studio with a package is a great way to get started and to meet other dancers at your level.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »

Yes. I agree that studios with a package deal can be a great place to start-- for both new dance students and teachers, but that's probably a different thread.  Wink

Thanks.  As I go back through and read some of the posts in this thread, I'll know how to compare apples to apples, now. Around here, costs depend on the dance genre (Ballroom tends to be more expensive, swing tends to be less expensive, for example) and the quality of the teacher, but average $60 - $85 for a 45 minute lesson.  Visiting coaches cost more.  Most teachers do not insist on packages, but many offer a discount if you buy a block of lessons up front.

Franchise studios offer a package deal that includes private lessons, group lessons and practice parties, with plenty of opportunities to spend more money on showcases, internal competitions, etc, if you want.  Grin

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2013, 04:48:36 AM »

but pick yuour studio carefully the package is only good for as long as tehy stay in business (there can be a lot of turnover)

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »

True.  Of course, there are quite a few studios that have been offering packages for decades, and I think it' still a good idea to choose your packages carefully.

IMO, those studio packages that include group classes reach a point of diminishing return, once you start taking a certain number of private lessons per week.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2013, 04:59:38 AM »

IMO, those studio packages that include group classes reach a point of diminishing return, once you start taking a certain number of private lessons per week.

for sure...
then they become a practise studio for what you learned in the private lesson

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2013, 05:22:11 AM »

for sure...
then they become a practise studio for what you learned in the private lesson

And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that, as long as you understand what you're getting for your money.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »

I guess I should have pointed out that I was talking about the actual dollars and cents calculation.

At a franchise studio I used to attend, lessons were sold in packages.  If you took a certain number of lessons per week, unlimited group lessons and parties were included.  But the studio only offered one party per week and IIRC ten group lessons.

So, if you took the minimum number of group lessons to access unlimited groups and parties, you were getting a much better "deal" than someone who took five or six or more lessons per week. (If you calculated things out dollar for dollar.)

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »

I guess I should have pointed out that I was talking about the actual dollars and cents calculation.

At a franchise studio I used to attend, lessons were sold in packages.  If you took a certain number of lessons per week, unlimited group lessons and parties were included.  But the studio only offered one party per week and IIRC ten group lessons.

So, if you took the minimum number of group lessons to access unlimited groups and parties, you were getting a much better "deal" than someone who took five or six or more lessons per week. (If you calculated things out dollar for dollar.)
but lessons should be counted in quality not time n'est pas? 

I would get more from one hour with a top teacher than 100 hrs from a franchise newbie

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »

currently we pay $65 per hour with our local coach and $90 for 45 with visiting coaches. The visiting coaches come about every 8 weeks. If we go interstate it is $70.00 ph minimum. but we right down everything after a lesson so we can remember what is required. and refer back to it.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2013, 03:31:00 AM »

I wonder if 65$ is the same inAustralia as it is here?  Its hard to compare - the only way I know is to look at common items.  A good one is candy bars!  Here an average Mars/Snickers/Cadbury's bar is about $1.5.  How much are they in Melbourne?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

I wonder if 65$ is the same inAustralia as it is here?  Its hard to compare - the only way I know is to look at common items.  A good one is candy bars!  Here an average Mars/Snickers/Cadbury's bar is about $1.5.  How much are they in Melbourne?

depends where you buy it at the supermarket it is about 90 cents at a 24 hour shop or similar it is 1.50-2.00

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2013, 04:04:42 AM »

...then your lessons are generally cheaper than here - typically 70-100 - but its possible to get them cheaper but not at championship level I think.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »

I agree ee, the one hour quality lesson beats out the 10 hours of quantity with not much quality lesson.  In the end what may seem like the expensive option is really the cheaper.  Studio or teacher what you have to watch out for is that you don't stay longer than you should.  Once you realize you are just spinning your wheels it's time to move on.  Sometimes we become too loyal and don't move on when we should.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: