partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  What do you have to pay for a Lesson
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Print
Author Topic: What do you have to pay for a Lesson  (Read 15131 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »

I'm so happy for your Mummsie! I can already see so much improvement with your new vogue! I'm really excited to see what the new coach does with your ballroom. It's so great that you've refound that zest for dancing.

thanks Macca - I know you have been after me for ages to move on but until we had this opportunity, it was very hard.  we did some waltz basics yesterday to start getting ready with it - OMG what a different feel just in change steps and natural turns  Grin 

We have friends thatg need to move schools but I am not sure if the  will do so. there teachers are also going away shortly and hope they will take that opportunity to try something else.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »

Still $12 per group, although there are discount cards available if one buys in bulk.  $71 per lesson for privates (and that's discounted b/c we buy a package).

Yes.  Quite.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »

Here its $85 and up for 45minutes Shocked

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »

Is 45-minute lessons becoming the norm in most areas?  When we have visiting coaches, they are done in 45-minute slots, but none of the regular instructors around here would ever be able to get away with that. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:06 AM »

Is 45-minute lessons becoming the norm in most areas?  When we have visiting coaches, they are done in 45-minute slots, but none of the regular instructors around here would ever be able to get away with that.  
Lessons used to be 60 minutes.  Then the teachers argued for a 10 minute break between students.  Which seems reasonable.  Then it became 15 minutes - and then mysteriously the teachers decided they didn't need a break at all and scheduled the lessons at 45 minute intervals!

So 45 minutes is the new hour! Undecided

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »

we find that visiting coaches do 45 minutes but the local one do an hour....We have a visiting coach this week. here for our comp, so will see how that effects our dancing. In the past we have never been able to incorporate the new bits...so at least now we can have something to work with once they are gone.

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2011, 10:05:37 PM »

Yeah, local instructors here still do an hour, minus a few minutes for coffee and bathroom break.  Scheduling seems to be changing, though: It used to be that everyone started lessons on the hour, but a lot of instructors are shifting to starting on the half-hour.  Which is a bit awkward if you want to do a private and a group, since all the studios here still have their groups on the hour.   Huh
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »

Our local coach does the 1hr, and sometimes a bit more. She just loves to talk about all the lovely food she made on the weekend.  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »

Our local coach does the 1hr, and sometimes a bit more. She just loves to talk about all the lovely food she made on the weekend.  Tongue

Sign of a great coach - the extra time that is (oh, and freebie food scores too...)

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

We pay $75.00 for an hour for three of our teachers and the fourth travels quite a distance and charges us $110.00 for an hour.  One of our past teachers was $85 for an hour then all of a sudden it became 45 min.  We told her that if it wasn't an hour we could no longer do lessons with her.  She told us that since we had to drive so far to get to her she would leave ours at an hour.  45 minutes is not enough time.  The instructors are getting greedy or following the market trend of putting the price up and making the product smaller.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2011, 05:39:26 AM »

We pay $75.00 for an hour for three of our teachers and the fourth travels quite a distance and charges us $110.00 for an hour.  One of our past teachers was $85 for an hour then all of a sudden it became 45 min.  We told her that if it wasn't an hour we could no longer do lessons with her.  She told us that since we had to drive so far to get to her she would leave ours at an hour.  45 minutes is not enough time.  The instructors are getting greedy or following the market trend of putting the price up and making the product smaller.

I believe the rationale for the '<60 minute hour' was that lessons used to be scheduled on the hour and the instructors then said (reasonably) that they needed a few minutes to get ready for the next clien - so it became 50 or 55 minutes with the lessons remaining on the hour.  Seeing a good thing the instructors (or was it the studios) then started the next lesson earlier - dropping the inter-lesson break.  At that point it was greed - reduce it to 45 minutes and you can fit in an extra hour a day.  If you have a full day thats a 20% pay hike!

What I've noticed, however, is that (independent) instructors that are enjoying the lesson - that is they feel you are working hard and responding well and also feel a strong teacher-student relationship - very often go over to the full hour anyway.  Thus, the 45 minutes is not written in stone but is the lower limit of a lesson.  Least thats the case with the coaches I will work with Wink 

On that note I'd just like to put in a spontaneouis big "Thank You" to those coaches who are generous with not only their time but also their knowledge - there are some darling ones out there Cheesy .

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »

Our local coaches do hour lessons the visiting coaches do 45 minutes..... and charge more....we have a few visiting coaches but still think our own coach has a lot to offer

Dance Forum
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »

Also possible the more popular coaches/instructors would like to teach more (different) students in a day, so the move to 45 minutes. A way to spread their knowledge to more people (as well as make more money). Could possibly teach 2-3 more students in a full day.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

When visiting those of us out in the hinterlands, visiting coaches have to figure travel time into their budget.  Unless you live within a few hours' drive (and fortunately, we have some coaches that do), you can't do Huntsville, Alabama as a day trip; if you flew in and you wanted to get hojme the same day, you'd only have a few hours between arrival and departure.  So there's an overnight stay involved.  Our studio owners try to keep the expense down for visiting coaches by providing food and board at their house, but it's still a big hunk of time out of their teaching schedule to travel here and back.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

What I've noticed, however, is that (independent) instructors that are enjoying the lesson - that is they feel you are working hard and responding well and also feel a strong teacher-student relationship - very often go over to the full hour anyway.  Thus, the 45 minutes is not written in stone but is the lower limit of a lesson.  Least thats the case with the coaches I will work with Wink 

I agree there are some good honest coaches out there, and like yourself I notice it is usually the independants who don't have to toe the studio rules.  Two of the three we have will stay longer for us on a regular basis.  We usually have to tell them okay it is time for them to take a break or stop.  We don't want to take advantage of them.  In return if we know that they have a bunch of students in a row we tell them to take a break on our time or if they want to go out and have a cancer stick we will just warm up.  If we know they have to get to another studio or go somewhere we will stop early for them so they don't have to rush.

With the horses I am the same way when teaching.  If I have a student that puts in the time and interest I will go over by even an hour to help them out.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: