partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  What do you have to pay for a Lesson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Print
Author Topic: What do you have to pay for a Lesson  (Read 14961 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: May 20, 2009, 07:21:34 AM »

It was mentioned on another thread about the cost of lessons, that they are getting very expensive that people are starting to find another sport.  I suppose it also depends on how far you are wanting to go with your dancing. All sports cost money, but is it becoming cost prohibitive.

On our local scene. Private lessons cost about $55.00 per hour you can get interstate coaches in that cost more. Group classes are around $12.00 a lesson per person for an Hour.

What is happening in your neck of the woods.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:36:04 AM »

Going rate around here is $75/hour (US), although some instructors will cut you a break if you take a lot of lessons with them.  Top-tier coaching usually runs $125/hour.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »

This really is something that varies so much by regions, pros, etc ....

My studio top pros are like $85.00 for 45 minutes and up
Studios in DC many of the pros are charging $95 for 45 minutes and up
I am sure - NJ and NY are even a bit more pricey

But again ALL depends on region, whether current competing and winning pros, past champions, etc ...

Some are just simply ridiculous too ... amazing at how some charge with no "titles" (either as a pro or Pro/AM)

Also some pros charging is varied by each student. I know a few that charges each of their students differently ... depending on when they came to them, how long, etc ....

Another thing, I have noticed pros are also increasing their private lesson fees.

BUT ......... most of the studios around here are independent so .........

Group lessons tend to run $50 for 4 weeks (kids) and $60 (I think) for 4 weeks for adults

But also "private" groups can be arranged with whatever instructor as well and "fees" negotiated too. LOL

Meh .... it is all relative.

Parties/Socials also vary:
reg socials anywhere from $12 to $15
benefits/showcases anywhere from $20 to $30 and up (again depends on the event)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »

The 2 studios I've been to in the area cost about the same:  $80 per private lesson.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »

Western suburbs of Chicago:

Group classes, 50 minutes long are $12
Private lessons, 50 minutes long are $60 each
Private lessons 25 minutes long are $30 each

My studio will give you a break if you buy privates in 4-packs or more and they offer a $130 per month all you can take group class card.  If you take one class at $12, any additional class that same day is $6.

Friday night socials are free if you've taken any kind of class or lesson during the week.

I always buy the $130 monthly and take about 10 group classes per week.  I supplement with short private lessons or 50 minute private lessons if I'm prepping for a showcase.

Yes.  Quite.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »

Groups at our studio are $10, unless you buy a studio membership; then they are free.  The Friday night social is also free to members.  The membership varies by year depending on how well the studio is doing, but in general, if you take two groups or one group and the social a week, you're coming out ahead.  Members also get discounts on certain things, such as our studio's annual comp.  They offer some student discounts too.

I know of a place in town that offers a group and a two-hour social, all for $5.  The group class is huge and the quality of the instruction isn't very good, but for people who are short on cash, it at least gets them started and out on the floor.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »

It depends. I usually write two checks when I pay for the lesson - one to my teacher (he charges around $60, but he is the best one in the area. I know that less experienced ones charge less) - and the second one for the floor fee. So my lessons are anywhere between $68 and $75. Group classes are usually $10 and visiting coaches are somewhere around $95 an hour. There was one visitor who charged $160, but very few people booked with here AFAIK, because they felt it was too expensive.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »

My DP and I pay $100 an hour for latin and standard.  Lower level instructors or ones that are not as popular may run from $55 to $75 an hour.  A few instructors cost $150.00 or more an hour but they are not as common. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 05:44:21 AM »

ditto R.  but we go to the same places Smiley

Visiting coaches are always more - 125-150 45 minutes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
StageKat
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:02:52 AM »

Oh dear oh dear... I really can't read these types of threads....
I pay... a lot. And if my pro wasn't ABSOLUTELY the best one for me I'd have moved on ages ago...

To have a coach in... we get some of the best in the US and Canada... that goes for $200-$250 per session I believe.

Sadly... or maybe as a consolation for myself... while my home studio is expensive... it's not the most expensive in my area... and it's got the numbers to back up it's expense.

Ballroom Dancing Changed My Life... It's as Simple as That.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »

very interesting to see the differences, We would need two good incomes to pay for some of those prices...Not saying that the people who charge them are not worth the money...But you have to find the best you can on your budget.

Thanks for sharing everyone so far.

Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »

Oh dear oh dear... I really can't read these types of threads....
I pay... a lot. And if my pro wasn't ABSOLUTELY the best one for me I'd have moved on ages ago...

To have a coach in... we get some of the best in the US and Canada... that goes for $200-$250 per session I believe.

Sadly... or maybe as a consolation for myself... while my home studio is expensive... it's not the most expensive in my area... and it's got the numbers to back up it's expense.

Aren't you in Chicago, SK?  I would think in a larger city like Chi-town would have more expensive everything!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »

I know the cost of rent would up the price of things dramatically....but there are more people unlike a smaller place. It is a numbers game. And getting dancing customers is not an exact science   Shocked

Dance Forum
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »

I love to see this.

I can say that we are in the cheaper range.   Grin $118 for a private lesson, but in that you get also either group class or party for free.

I payed much more. my lessons were in range from $200 - $300.  Tongue

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 12:58:02 PM »

Do you charge per lesson or must one pay for a package?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: