partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116442 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Nervousness at comps
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Nervousness at comps  (Read 8797 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »

well that is being insensitive. you are a partnership after all and whoever gets nervous needs to be supported by the other partner, you are not going to dance your best otherwise....

I find it very brave of people to get up and put themselves out there where they get nervous..

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:12 AM »

Not sure I agree Zac: I have always performed much better with a partner that was supportive and casual and did not focus on outcome than with one that was obsessed with placings.  To say you can't do much about it is to basically say its not your concern.  It is.  A successful partnership of any kind is one where you work on challenges - all challenges - together, not just on the obvious ones.  I feel so sorry for people where the partner ignores thier needs or, worse, who are told 'its your problem, fix it'.  And yes, that has happened to me.

I never said anything about the outcome, just the fact that because of the high level she is starting at for her first registered competition means she is going to be SUPER nervous. I don't think SW would be putting pressure on is parter about results for their first competition together (i must not be being very clear tonight, everyone seems to be misinterpreting my words).....

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »

Not sure I agree Zac: I have always performed much better with a partner that was supportive and casual and did not focus on outcome than with one that was obsessed with placings.  To say you can't do much about it is to basically say its not your concern.  It is.  A successful partnership of any kind is one where you work on challenges - all challenges - together, not just on the obvious ones.  I feel so sorry for people where the partner ignores thier needs or, worse, who are told 'its your problem, fix it'.  And yes, that has happened to me.

I never said anything about the outcome, just the fact that because of the high level she is starting at for her first registered competition means she is going to be SUPER nervous. I don't think SW would be putting pressure on is parter about results for their first competition together (i must not be being very clear tonight, everyone seems to be misinterpreting my words).....

Zac

oh  I have that often too  Roll Eyes what I think is clear is about as clear as mud  Shocked

Dance Forum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2010, 01:07:24 PM »

I dunno, I kind of agree with Zac.  You can tell your partner until you're blue in the face that placements don't matter, it's all for fun, etc., but until she realizes that for herself, it won't sink in.  That said, having a good attitude about it all will help her realize that, but you can't make her less nervous just by talking to her.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »

I dunno, I kind of agree with Zac.  You can tell your partner until you're blue in the face that placements don't matter, it's all for fun, etc., but until she realizes that for herself, it won't sink in.  That said, having a good attitude about it all will help her realize that, but you can't make her less nervous just by talking to her.

Perhaps (though I don't agree for me) - but you sure can make her more nervous and if thats the case its best to make sure that if she is nervous none of that is due to you.

If my partners had said to me that:
a) to them I was the best woman dancer on the floor
b) that this competition was just for fun - we can get serious later
c) that I followed so well that they were not concerned in the slightest whether we competed at bronze or open

etc

I would have been a LOT less nervous.  And I think there are few women who would not...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

That's what I was trying to say--you can encourage your partner to be less nervous, but you can't *make* them be less nervous.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »

I think its a bit more than that, you can do more than encourage - the fact is that a lot of nervousness can be traced to the partner - unintentional pressure due to expectations.  The thing to do is to be sure that any nervousness in your partner was not generated by you.  And vice versa of course!

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2010, 07:20:43 AM »

I am suddenly nervous (not usual for me, experience of competitions n=2  Roll Eyes ) about next competition based on the fact that there are only 3 couples at my level.  There is no where to hide!!  What do people normally do when there are few participants?? I so wish I hadn't looked at the heat lists!

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:50 AM »

Ah, I think I am the world expert on this now... Tongue

First, they will probably run two (or more) heats together so you are unlikely to be only 2 coupldes.  They seem to love to put challenges out with us - junior championships may be the worst - not only are they tiny (and we are both very tall) they move like lightning so you never know where they will be.

The crucial crucial thing to do in ALL comps is to say to your partner - 'lets have fun'.  Somehow, saying it really helps you to do that - I mean why else are you there?

The next crucial thing (which I am still learning) is that ITS OK TO MAKE MISTAKES.  Watch the top level couples, very very few dance without errors - what they are really good at is recovering from them so that they are not obvious.  The worst thing to do is to scowl (or worse yell at your partner)  or any other indication of your error.  One or two judges may see the slip, ALL of them will see you acknowledging it.  But thats not my main point - if you realize that your routines and steps are not an end, but only a plan and that in the real world of dancing 'things happen' you can turn the competition into an adventure where the winner is the person with the most fortitude.

Go get them - and HAVE FUN!!! Cheesy

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »

The crucial crucial thing to do in ALL comps is to say to your partner - 'lets have fun'.  Somehow, saying it really helps you to do that - I mean why else are you there?

The next crucial thing (which I am still learning) is that ITS OK TO MAKE MISTAKES.  Watch the top level couples, very very few dance without errors - what they are really good at is recovering from them so that they are not obvious.

I thought this needed to be bolded and repeated. We read it, and say, "Yes, I know you're right.", and then don't do it. DO IT!

I, too, say almost everyday, "It's not how well you dance; it's how well you cover". Before a show, I had a Broadway director tell us once, "Everyone has butterflies. The trick is to get them to fly in formation".   Cheesy

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »

The crucial crucial thing to do in ALL comps is to say to your partner - 'lets have fun'.  Somehow, saying it really helps you to do that - I mean why else are you there?

The next crucial thing (which I am still learning) is that ITS OK TO MAKE MISTAKES.  Watch the top level couples, very very few dance without errors - what they are really good at is recovering from them so that they are not obvious.

I thought this needed to be bolded and repeated. We read it, and say, "Yes, I know you're right.", and then don't do it. DO IT!

I, too, say almost everyday, "It's not how well you dance; it's how well you cover". Before a show, I had a Broadway director tell us once,

"Everyone has butterflies. The trick is to get them to fly in formation".   Cheesy

well, that quote is priceless. 

OTOH I usually have mixed snakes Tongue

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »

Thanks Smiley  I like to quote about butterflies  Cool

Dance like you're going to fall over
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2010, 03:58:08 AM »

and how about no nerves no form....if you go on without and fear are you being too complacent..it is finding the balance between having enough nerve and no nerves. Cool

I believe that practice and going into as many comps as you can afford help

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2010, 03:59:52 AM »

I believe that practice and going into as many comps as you can afford help
for me its essential... as long as i am on the horse I'm not afraid of it Cheesy

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2010, 05:38:47 AM »

and how about no nerves no form....if you go on without and fear are you being too complacent..it is finding the balance between having enough nerve and no nerves.

During that same conversation (the Broadway director whom I mentioned before), he also said [to the dancers], 'If you are not nervous... I am".

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: