partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:14:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Nervousness at comps
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Nervousness at comps  (Read 8873 times)
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »

Have competition soon, am suddenly extremely nervous and it is the fault of the totally fabulous latin dress I acquired....  reason being that the dress deserves someone totally fab to dance in it & I am so not at that level..I don't want to let the dress down!!!  Roll Eyes  I should've stuck with the practice wear and it would all have been just fine Huh
Then you would not be dancing "out of the box"!!  Let this dress give you the look and confidence you have!
Enjoy!!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »

I find that I lift when I wear my danc eoutfit...I feel so special, I am sure you will feel the same....when you are out on the floor Beleive in what you have learnt and go out and see=ll it to the best of your ability. HAVE FUN

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2010, 04:02:28 AM »

Thank you all  Smiley  It is the first time that I have worn a 'proper' dance dress & I guess dancing in practice wear is what I am used to anyway so it always just seemed like another day at the studio but with extra make-up and somewhat more tanned.  Ah well, am looking forward to it now  Grin  Thanks again!

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2010, 04:43:40 AM »

Have competition soon, am suddenly extremely nervous and it is the fault of the totally fabulous latin dress I acquired....  reason being that the dress deserves someone totally fab to dance in it & I am so not at that level..I don't want to let the dress down!!!  Roll Eyes  I should've stuck with the practice wear and it would all have been just fine Huh
I agree with DSV. 

Its easy to feel the mismatch - but its equally easy to feel a match.  The fact is that good equipment - be it a dress, tools for carpentry or (in my case) a classic violin can by themselves only make your performance better.  Thats not to say we can't be intimidated by it - by as you say, the feeling that you are unworthy. 

A violinist I know had a chance to play on what is soon to be the most expensive violin in the world - its a del Gesu (yes, his were actually better than Strads) coming up for auction and estimated at $18,000,000.  But from all accounts she faced with the instrument in her arms she could not play it.  Clearly the violin wasn't bad and she is an excellent player - but there was something broken in the dynamic of the moment.  I suspect she was intimidated by the instrument (she played a strad immediately after).

What you have to do is 'make the dress yours' so that it does not feel alien.  I suggest you wear it round the house - even put on some makeup so that it is not incongrous and wear practice shoes.  Get used to its feel and its look - catch yourself in the mirror and note how beautiful you look in it.  Enjoy it and fantasize in it - imagine dancing with whoever is your particular idol or just with a great guy at a social and everyone looking at you and admiring you.  Try it out in the studio - better still if you can get your pro to do a dress rehersal.  What you will find is that people will comment on how beautiful it is and how lovely you look in it but NOONE will tell you that you look out of place.  And the reason for that is that, as said above: great tools can ONLY make you better.

You go play your violin - all you have to do first is make friends with it Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »

Great analogy.  Let me try another one: it's like driving a powerful race car.  First time out, you may spin out a few times.  But the car will teach you to be a better driver.  Even the spinouts will teach you something.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:08 AM »

I have to copy this here - its from a poster on a violin forum but is so simple and applies so strongly to dealing with performance anxiety (and any stress situation):

The most important thing is to focus, in any performance, the mind on what you want, never on what you don't. 

I need to write that on the back of my eyeballs ... Shocked Grin

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2011, 03:52:14 AM »

So true by the way thought I would bump it up....

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2011, 04:06:47 AM »

Pleased to report that I don't seem to get nervous anymore, least not to the point where it affects my dancing negatively.  Wow, I'm very proud to write those words!

samina
Silver

« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »

that's a big deal, elise..... congrats on creating that experience for yourself. Smiley

now you can focus on the dancing!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »

indeed! it is a big step as I find that a lot of people find that paralysing..

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »

Is it possible to be subconsciously nervous when you don't really feel it yourself?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »

Is it possible to be subconsciously nervous when you don't really feel it yourself?

i wondered that myself. I generally don't get nervous but sometimes the first event is not my best and why that is I dont know...I think it is most probably the desire to do your very best so you don't relax

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »

thats a great question - and I think my partner may have exactly that.  He always says that he is never nervous and yet he may do the oddest thing on the first few steps... OTOH maybe its me Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:14 AM »

I think you need to visualise that you are not nervous and that all will go well. we can often talk ourselves into these things.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »

I think you need to visualise that you are not nervous and that all will go well. we can often talk ourselves into these things.

er, if you could do that you wouldn't have a problem to cure Undecided 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: