partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:41:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Nervousness at comps
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Nervousness at comps  (Read 8876 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2010, 06:38:50 AM »

it is good that you have some, keeps you on your toes....I do think there is such a things as healthy nerves

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »

then I'm the healthiest on the planet Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »

then I'm the healthiest on the planet Cheesy

well you are the lucky one then Shocked

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:13 PM »

One suggestion I'd like to add to this thread is, on top of whatever else you do to cope when the nerves come up, you can also add a *physical* layer to your toolbox. Do *crunches* (or whatever your favorite version of abdominal exercises are). Do them before you get dressed for the comp, until your abs are utterly exhausted and you break a sweat.

The energy center in your center is the 3rd chakra, where you experience both your sense of power as well as a sense of peace from *being exactly in the right place that you belong*. If you don't have that sense of belonging, that sense of safety, you will feel anywhere from mild to extreme hypervigilance, stress, and nerves.

The crunches help to release a tremendous amount of energy, especially while you are breathing. Remember to draw your navel to the back of your spine as you do it, and to exhale as deeply as possible while you're exercising.

When the muscles are exhausted, relax a bit, then get ready as usual.

I have never known this to not enhance a feeling of calm after the butterflies have hit, even if they are acute. But it's important to really give it all you have in order to get the best results.

Just one more thing to keep in mind for when you really need help. Smiley
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2010, 09:23:55 PM »

I also think jumping up and down on the spot or acting silly in general helps with the nerves.  Roll Eyes Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »

I also think jumping up and down on the spot or acting silly in general helps with the nerves.  Roll Eyes Tongue
I like this option Cheesy
OTOH I act silly all the time - maybe thats why DP has nerves Undecided

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »

and I have a piece of chocolate that helps... Shocked I mean a piece not a whole block  Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2010, 02:53:45 AM »

and I have a piece of chocolate that helps... Shocked I mean a piece not a whole block  Tongue
maybe you should go for the dark-brown in the next dress? Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »

maybe you should go for the dark-brown in the next dress? Roll Eyes

yes well I did think of brown.. but I can wear a gown protector have yet to get chocolate on my dress  Shocked

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »

all this talk about chocolate... lol... ee, do you get enough fat in your diet? your nerves will be totally strung out if you don't. the chocolate may have the fat you crave, actually. just a thought. Smiley
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »

all this talk about chocolate... lol... ee, do you get enough fat in your diet? your nerves will be totally strung out if you don't. the chocolate may have the fat you crave, actually. just a thought. Smiley

love to have an excuse that I need fat to help my nerves Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »

thats all I need, another excuse to eat chocolate Cheesy
I don't eat a lot of fat - but I always cook with olive oil in the evening - and I do eat (mostly low0fat) meat so I probably do not need to go on the high-chocolate diet (shoot...)

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

Adding more hairspray seems to work with butterflies ( - to me they are not nerves, more excitement at what am about to do.)  Focuses the mind on something else plus eventually your hairstyle really won't move, possibly for several days!!!

For me nerves = must pass verbal exams,  verbal presentations at meetings etc etc etc feel sick & want to stay in bed Smiley  I guess one is good nerves (dancing, doing something I love & want to do, without a compulsory outcome) & other bad nerves.

Dance like you're going to fall over
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2010, 04:09:51 AM »

Have competition soon, am suddenly extremely nervous and it is the fault of the totally fabulous latin dress I acquired....  reason being that the dress deserves someone totally fab to dance in it & I am so not at that level..I don't want to let the dress down!!!  Roll Eyes  I should've stuck with the practice wear and it would all have been just fine Huh

Dance like you're going to fall over
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »

Have competition soon, am suddenly extremely nervous and it is the fault of the totally fabulous latin dress I acquired....  reason being that the dress deserves someone totally fab to dance in it & I am so not at that level..I don't want to let the dress down!!!  Roll Eyes  I should've stuck with the practice wear and it would all have been just fine Huh

You are blaming a fabulous dress on your nervousness? I am sure the lady that danced in the dress before left some good energy in the dress. It sounds like the reason you bought the dress is for two reasons. One reason is that the dress is fabulous and the other reason is that you admire the lady that wore the dress before. If this true then you actually have the perfect reason to wear the dress. Use your mind to see the lady that used to own the dress. If you can find the lady in the dress on youtube then it would be easier to get an image in your mind of her. Once you have a clear picture in your mind then imagine you having the same body but with your face on the body (you must have a similar body as you wouldn’t be able to fit the dress if you didn’t). Now copy what you see. You also have to remember to sell what you have now. There was a time where the lady you bought the dress from was where you are now so she knows the path to great dancing. I am sure you are going to shine and look great in the dress. Remember you didn’t buy the dress to have it hang in your closet but because the dress made you feel good.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: