partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Use of hands in smooth
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Use of hands in smooth  (Read 1271 times)
skipper
Bronze

« on: May 16, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »

As a lady, does anyone have some great ideas or excersiss for the use/display of hands? So many of the ladies I dance with have all had dance training as a young kids----
That kind of elegance is very foreign to me!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »

not sure if you hold your hands the same as we do in new vogue. Our coach says we have to think we are holding a squash ball between our thumb and  middle finger,

also feather the arm so it is not straight it should have a slight bend.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:06:26 AM »

Extend those shape from your body all the way down to your finger nails.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:10:02 AM »

sorry I missed this; still learning how to navigate the boards. the ball in the fingers trtick is  a good one, but is sort of placing the period at the start of the sentence. do this...sit comfortably resting teh arm and hand on a side table or desk, etc. when completely relaxed, lift the arm as if it is being raised by a string at the wrist (like a marionette). you might have to do this several times until the arm and hand are lifted, yet perfectly relaxed. notice he shape of the wrist and the hand. the wrist has tone because this is where the lift is coming from. the hand is shaped "naturally" with the fingers resting downward. notice the positions of the thumb and mid fingers. now, you might understand that if you were holding a ball between these 2 fingers, a certain tone would be applied to the hand as well.

when moving the arms in dance, always dance the hands -at the wrists- and the arms will follow. hope this helps.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:41:25 AM »

when moving the arms in dance, always dance the hands -at the wrists- and the arms will follow. hope this helps.

I disagree with this.....I think the shape should come from the body. The shape of the body THEN extends through to the arm, wrist and finally hand and finger.
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »

i watched the other day a video about arms. and i heard the same thing that my teachers thought me.

arm always finishes your movement. i found it very easy to practice arms in rumba cucarachas, even if you are a smooth dancer. movements are the same.

make a step to the side moving your center (your arm can be close to your center), when you are moving your arm, your elbow should go first, than wrist than hand and fingers.  Wink

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »

I think the arm movements become second nature when you feel comfortable with the foundation of the dance. In the beginning you are stilted and as you learn more you become more fluid....

Dance Forum
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »

I think the arm movements become second nature when you feel comfortable with the foundation of the dance. In the beginning you are stilted and as you learn more you become more fluid....

Depends. As you become more aware of how the arms and hand works as an extension of the body flight (see Swing Waltz), then it becomes second nature enough to happen fairly naturally.

One other thing to remember is, when moving the arms, to have a mental image of moving the arm through water. there should be an invisible resistance to any arm movement that will give it the look of being "thick"

Arm movements in Latin are a different beast entirely.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »

Yes I am pretending to do my arm movemeents through water or doing tai chi.

Latin we only do socially and that would be too much to bear trying to get that up to a good standard.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »

Think tree branches in wind.
The larger branches move, which takes the small ones with them, enabling the smaller branches to move more in the wind.
But if the larger branches don't move at all and the small ones do, they are mostly likely going to snap in the wind.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 02:29:34 AM »

that sounds like a very Confucius saying :-)

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 02:42:01 AM »

that sounds like a very Confucius saying :-)

Works for us  Grin
We did major tree in the Lucille Waltz last night! Look forward to more tonight.

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »

In addition, something that a choreographer once told me was to let the movement flow through your arms, your wrists, your hands, your fingers...and out beyond the tips of your fingers, to the far reaches of the room.  Most people think as far as their hands, which leaves the fingers forgotten, which can give some unfinished looking lines.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »

I think hairball.
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »

I think hairball.
I don't get that----
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »