partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116386 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  How did you get into dancing
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: How did you get into dancing  (Read 4659 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: May 16, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »

Carrying on from the other thread. What made you start dancing.

Our dancing life started once we closed a 7 day a week business. My daughter was taught some dancing at school for her graduation and I mentioned to V that I would like to try dancing as I had followed it for many years. I did do it for a very short time when I was 13 and loved it, but got scared off (another story).

I tired to find the group that taught my daughter and eventually found them as she could not remember what they called themselves.

We went along on our first night and the dance that they were showing was a old time dance called Glengarry swing...and V said oh I am not doing that, I said that is find we just do the ones that you feel comfortable with.  Everyone was very friendly, helpful and encouraging...They taught so many dances in one evening I thought there is no way we are going to remember them all. So we then started to do two beginners classes in a week and we were off now three and half years later, we have just done our first competition.

Smiley

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:00:04 PM »

I was dragged kicking and screaming in to the world of ballroom dancing by my ex-girlfriend. She was a ballerina and always wanted to learn how to ballroom dance. So after we finished our VCE exams, we had all the free time in the world. That's when we decided (well mainly she decided, but i got dragged along) to start ballroom dancing. Then I found out that the university has a dancesport club, so I joined. Gradually I began to love it, the dancing, the people, the social scene and now the competitive side of dancesport with all its glamour.

Well I started when I was 18 and I've been dancing for 3 years now. Wish I had started earlier!
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:38:17 PM »

oooooooooooooo, my mother kicked my butt straight into a dance school when i was 9.

i always loved to dance. i was in a kids choir and we had some dance routines which i learned in a second, so my mother signed me in a dance school. i asked her - ''are you crazy, me dancing with a boy?Huh"
but after the first lesson i was already addicted. and since then i am dancing.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »

IWell I started when I was 18 and I've been dancing for 3 years now. Wish I had started earlier!

I don't think I have ever heard the opposite - wish I started later!!!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 07:19:26 AM »

I started many years ago when I visited a booth for a dance school at a craft fair!  I had never thought of dancing before that.  That led to about 8 years of playing at it.  Then during a period of personal turmoil and a move to Toronto I stopped for a while - I think it was that that built up an inner need.  In 2001 I started private lessons with a passion and have danced as much as I can ever since....

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »

The people mum was learning with started up a kids class, so she made us go along just to get them started. She dragged us all to the first lesson, and it really only took me 2 to get addicted.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »

IWell I started when I was 18 and I've been dancing for 3 years now. Wish I had started earlier!

I don't think I have ever heard the opposite - wish I started later!!!
So true...I did start at 13 and gave it a away   because I was frighten of boys...so I waited all those years before I went back to it. Bell better late than never

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:16:27 PM »

The people mum was learning with started up a kids class, so she made us go along just to get them started. She dragged us all to the first lesson, and it really only took me 2 to get addicted.

sometimes mums are OK...

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »

Sheesh ....... me... started ballet at 3 or 4 and stopped at 17. (married, kids all at that age  Roll Eyes) anyway for my 10th wedding anniversary hubby took me for salsa lesson at a studio. didn't care for the studio itself or the salsa, and hubby did not want to dance with me. he did it because he knows I love to dance.

fast forward 8 years later, laid off hubby asks me, "what is your passion? What do you love? Do what you love and the money will follow" SOOOOOOOOOO

(mind you I had over the course of 8 yrs been researching ballrooms and where to dance and Atlantic Ballroom kept popping up ...) so I tentatively took a step inside Atlantic and met petite vivacious Polina who promptly signed me up for group salsa lessons  Roll Eyes but I was bitten by that point and quicker than a new york second signed up for privates lessons and well here I am 2 years later ... hubby hates that I do it, I love it and well there is no going back.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »

Let's see....
In 1998, I was living in South Carolina and was looking around to find something to do while my BF was at school.  I signed up for a Carolina shag class, as he danced shag and I thought it was something we could do when he came back home.  The teacher told me I was a fast learner and invited me into a ballroom class to partner a guy who had signed up without a partner.  Because of that, I went to a few group lessons in a few bars, but didn't really pursue it as the BF wasn't into it.

When I moved here, I started looking around at where I could social dance; tried to join a couple of clubs, but they weren't super friendly to a single woman.  So, I dropped it again.

Then, a couple of years ago, a friend recommended a local studio with an inexpensive beginner package (she and her boyfriend were going to start lessons).  I called, talked with the owner, pretty much got a long with him and almost demanded he be the one to teach me.  He opened my eyes to dance and its intricacies, passions, and power.

Two years later, I am no longer with this instructor (although I will always be grateful for his patience) and I cannot imagine my life without the challenges and wonderment of dancing. 

Its taken me 10 years, but I am finally getting there!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »

Well, I started when I was 40.   Roll Eyes  I had no previous experience at all, other than some club dancing when I was a young adult.  And back then, every woman who observed me at it universally told me that I was terrible and incapable of dancing.  So for a while, I settled for slam dancing  Shocked, then I just gave it up altogether. 

So about nine years ago, my DW had been hinting at ballroom dance lessons.  I had no proper idea of what constituted ballroom dancing, and given my previous bad experiences with club dancing, I was not thrilled with the idea.  But I went along with it, and I gave her a "coupon" for dance lessons for Christmas.  Picked a studio at random out of the phone book and called to sign up for lessons. 

Much to my surprise, after the first couple of lessons, I really started to like it.  It took me a long time to figure out why.   Cheesy  But nine years later, here I am!
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »

Ex-girlfriend told me that she was used to dancing with men who were "good dancers"   Angry so we decided to take some ECS lessons together.  She's gone, my dancing stayed. 

She took a group lesson at my studio not long ago on a Saturday afternoon and I noticed SHE was struggling.  My, how times have changed...   Wink

Yes.  Quite.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »

Ex-girlfriend told me that she was used to dancing with men who were "good dancers"   Angry so we decided to take some ECS lessons together.  She's gone, my dancing stayed. 

She took a group lesson at my studio not long ago on a Saturday afternoon and I noticed SHE was struggling.  My, how times have changed...   Wink

well as they say what oes around comes around ..... including lack of manners. sigh ...

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »

Let's see....
In 1998, I was living in South Carolina and was looking around to find something to do while my BF was at school.  I signed up for a Carolina shag class, as he danced shag and I thought it was something we could do when he came back home.

*grin*

And let it be known, shag is NOT what you think it is! Cheesy

It's a form of swing that developed in South Carolina during the '30s and '40s while jitterbug was growing up North because it's just too darn hot and humid in SC during summer to do all that bouncing around!  Typically the top half of the body stays fairly still, but the feet move very fast.  Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhXdcR2b6k
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

You know you are a Southerner when you know the "real" meaning of shagging!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: