partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Preparation
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Preparation  (Read 6312 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »

and how does your partner and the audience feel Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »

and how does your partner and the audience feel Roll Eyes

Well, in my case, my partner is my DW, so if I've got something, she's going to come down with it eventually anyway.   Cheesy
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »

heh

I do agree with Zacc though, that at least physically, tends to help me feel better.  The dancing generally suffers though.  As does partner, but pros always suffer from putitng up with me.  Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »

thats why they are pros and you pay them Smiley 

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »

Now next weekend is Seattle Regional, we'll fly, so guess I have to do a final check of my makeup inventory, dress, shoes, etc.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »

that means we have at least 6 PDOers competing on the same weekend!  Thats enough for a post-comp virtual party/wake (depending on outcome Wink).

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »

yes we are one that will be away interstate next week. so it will be quite on the posting front and since it is a Masters event I wont see the regular crew there...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »

I have listed all the help that was complied in this thread....taken out the general conversation.

I have a "routine" to follow that has developed over the years. And here it is:

•   eat pasta the night before
•   find the ballroom--find on deck area and look at the ballroom
•   do not go into the ballroom the night before you dance
   1. it saps your energy
   2. if it is a lower level than what you dance, it is a poor visual for you to go to sleep with
   3. stretch--and take a hot bath
•   put all of your clothes out--pressed dress, stockings, shoes
•   have your "ballroom bag" set (the only thing missing is the spare make-up)

In the morning
•   find a way to quiet your mind---your work is done--it will be what it is
eat protein and a good breakfast
•   call your coach/mom to just check in
•   have hair and make-up done at least 1 1/2  -  2 hours before you are to be in the ballroom
•   warm your legs and body up
•   turn your cell phone off.
•   go to the ballroom WITH DP--if possible--it makes a connection before you get to the ballroom

•   I have a 'comp-kit'.  It has my makeup, jewellery hair spray, decoration etc.  All in one large bag - if necessary I have duplicated makeup items so that it is complete and i don't have to scramble.  The idea is to minimize the things you need to think about when you have time (that is not near a competition)

•   Local comps I do my makeup at home but stick the kit in the car for possible fix-ups.

•   One other thing I thought of: Always take inventory of your laundry situation a few days before you have to depart.  That way, if you have to send anything to the cleaners, you have time. 

•   And: The main thing that guys usually forget (if they dance standard/smooth) is cuff links and studs.  I've had the experience of having to run out and hunt down a set of studs an hour before my first heat.   

EDIT: one other thing to remember: collar stays.

•   One carry-on bag for me and one for my DP. 

•   This way everything has been checked off after last comp and packed back in the bags for the next so it is ready to grab it and go.  He has his carry-on plus one bag for latin clothes and one for standard and I have the same.  I also have a photocopied checklist to make sure that everything is present and accounted for.  It has a space on the bottom where I can write notes like clean Kittius's litter box, put out food and water for him, check that everything is unplugged or turned off and doors locked etc.

Some things I do more or less consistently

1. I check my costumes after I used them. Wash them if needed, fix the stones, or anything else. I just give them a quick visual check before the comp. When I do so, I put the jewellery I will use with the costume in the dance bag. I also pack my competition shoes at the same time.

2. I start getting fake tan several days before.

3. I pack my makeup bag. As I do so, I decide which makeup I am going to use. It depends, for example, if I will be wearing two dresses on the same day, I might have to chose makeup which goes with both.

4. I pack other dance-related items such as fishnets, clear bands for court shoes, satin pillowcases.

5. I pack other clothing I need - i.e. if I am sleeping on my up-do for a couple of nights, I will pack shirts with buttons etc.

6. I stock up on power bars.

7. I usually get into the ballroom about an hour before I have to dance. I stretch and warm up there.
We have a 'dance bag'. In it we have hair brushes, hairspray, hair bands, clips, safety pins, sewing kit, spare shoes, I think at one stage we had spare bra straps, and tights. This is for the whole family.
Makeup goes separately. I have my own little makeup bag with concealer, foundation, blush, eye shadow, and mascara. It has lip gloss in it and sometimes eyeliner, but I don't use either. My sisters either borrow a little bit of my makeup or go without. They don't really use it much (even less than me, which I didn't think possible)

The night before I make sure I have the appropriate dress and underwear ready (there's nothing like running around on comp morning because you can't find an appropriate bra for your dress...sister did that last time), attempt to get a good night's sleep, and try to make sure everything is in an easy place to find.
On the morning of the comp I give myself plenty of time to get ready. Shower and then wandering around in a dressing gown for an hour or so while I help prepare munchies. 3/4 of an hour before we leave I do my hair, 1/2 an hour before I do my makeup, and right before I go I put on my dress.

At the comp I find DP and cling to him until our first event, shaking partly from cold and partly from nerves the whole time. Then after that I'm fine.
I have a special bag that only has comp stuff in it that is always ready to go.
I make sure it is rekitted after every comp so I don't have to worry.  I have our registrations cards, scissors, sewing kit, lots of safety pins, pain killers, some face washers to mop up perspiration, hand wash gel, strapping tape, an elastic bandage and a cold and hot pack that you activate if needed.
 It also has a couple of biros and highlighters in different colours (especially if my kids are dancing so I can keep track of their events).  It also has a small emergency makeup kit which I have never used.
Then all I have to do is throw in whatever lipstick I am wearing.  I also take a packet of glucose lollies (jelly beans) and some high protein bars.  I usually also cut up some fruit and vegies into sticks to munch on during the day. – mummsie

I have a fully stocked dance bag, and i'm always really early to the ballroom (in my experience they are rarely on time) normal stuff like that .... but instead of pasta the night before, I ALWAYS have primerib  I mean by the night before comp any extra dieting just doesn't make sense and protein is good for you!! ( yes i can rationalize  anything  )

Window cleaner is great for cleaning patent leather shoes.   

My first coach alway told me if I was flying to a comp to never check what I needed for the competition - if the airline loses your luggage you wouldn't be able to compete! I've always followed that rule. 

I also make sure that I am in the ballroom and ready to go at least an hour before we are scheduled - large comps can run early and can reschedule up to 30 early without notification.  So to make sure I have enough time, I count backwards from our scheduled time 1 hour to be in the ballroom and 2 hours for hair and makeup.  I also do my false eyelashes first, when I am the least nervous, as steady hands are always a plus! 

I always used to carry a little pair of folding scissors in my sewing kit, too, but with all the security regulations they have now ........sigh. (I put them in the suitcase now and that is allowed)

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »

Thats fantastic Q - very useful. 
I on the other hand, leave everything to the last minute and PANIC!!!
Smiley

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »

Thats fantastic Q - very useful. 
I on the other hand, leave everything to the last minute and PANIC!!!
Smiley

I am sure you are not alone  Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »

I'm like you Q.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »

I'm somewhere in between "leave everything til the last minute" and "have a highly detailed to-do list". Also, my packing procedure depends on the mode of transportation. If I am driving, I have this approach "if this is dance related, I am taking it". That results in entire makeup collection and all my dresses & shoes coming with me. If I am flying, then the approach is "can I make through the competition without this item?"

If I am there the night before, I usually find out where the ballroom is, but don't go inside, unless I have a ticket for that night. If I do have a ticket, and I have friends dancing I will go inside to support them, even if it is a lower level. I can always counter that visual with some world champions videos stored in my ipod. I I don't do my own hair, so I either have it done at home (bobby pins set off security alarm, btw, and they call a female officer to feel you up), or do it at the competition, often the night before. That means no hot steamy bath before I compete.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2010, 09:03:58 PM »

Recently I have to add one more item to my checklist - not to forget to clean my makeup brushes after use them. I don't use those flimsy cotton tipped applicators, I prefer brushes for eye makeup. It could be gross if forget to clean the brushes; In fact, after I got nearly drunk after Holiday Dance Classic, I did forgot to clean my makeup brushes:( I realized forgot cleaning makeup brushes at Christmas Eve very last minute when I needed them for doing makeup for my christmas Eve Studio show:( cleaned them very last minute before use, I manage to rush thru makeup, but still last min cleaning brushes ate into my warm up time, not a good thing, will have to remember to clean them immediately after each use.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2010, 09:11:58 PM »

... could end up with some rather interesting effects Shocked

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »

oh yeah disaster panda eyes possibly due to unclean brushes with mixed colors:(

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: