partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 03:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Preparation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Preparation  (Read 6098 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »

I have a 'comp-kit'.  It has my makeup, jewelry hair spray, decoration etc.  All in one large bag - if necessary I have duplicated makeup items so that it is complete and i don't have to scramble.  The idea is to minimize the things you need to think about when you have time (that is not near a competition)

Local comps I do my makeup at home but stick the kit in the car for possible fixups. 

Same here.  One carry-on bag for me and one for my DP.  This way everything has been checked off after last comp and packed back in the bags for the next so it is ready to grab it and go.  He has his carry-on plus one bag for latin clothes and one for standard and I have the same.  I also have a photocopied checklist to make sure that everything is present and accounted for.  It has a space on the bottom where I can write notes like clean Kittius's litter box, put out food and water for him, check that everything is unplugged or turned off and doors locked etc.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »

really great ideas. checklist is a great idea. Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »

Iused to have a checklist....

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »

I do not have a "set" routine, it depends on whether I am getting there the night before, or driving on the same day.

Some things I do more or less consistently

1. I check my costumes after I used them. Wash them if needed, fix the stones, or anything else. I just give them a quick visual check before the comp. When I do so, I put the jewelry I will use with the costume in the dance bag. I also pack my competition shoes at the same time.

2. I start getting fake tan several days before.

3. I pack my makeup bag. As I do so, I decide which makeup I am going to use. It depends, for example, if I will be wearing two dresses on the same day, I might have to chose makeup which goes with both.

4. I pack other dance-related items such as fishnets, clear bands for court shoes, satin pillowcases.

5. I pack other clothing I need - i.e. if I am sleeping on my updo for a couple of nights, I will pack shirts with buttons etc.

6. I stock up on power bars.

7. I usually get into the ballroom about an hour before I have to dance. I stretch and warm up there.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »

great ideas and I am compiling them to put on one thread....(I will do it on the week-end)

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

most important thing to remember:

you are doing this to have fun....

[its also the easiest thing of all to forget]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »

I have a 'comp-kit'.  It has my makeup, jewelry hair spray, decoration etc.  All in one large bag - if necessary I have duplicated makeup items so that it is complete and i don't have to scramble.  The idea is to minimize the things you need to think about when you have time (that is not near a competition)

Local comps I do my makeup at home but stick the kit in the car for possible fixups. 

Same here.  One carry-on bag for me and one for my DP.  This way everything has been checked off after last comp and packed back in the bags for the next so it is ready to grab it and go.  He has his carry-on plus one bag for latin clothes and one for standard and I have the same.  I also have a photocopied checklist to make sure that everything is present and accounted for.  It has a space on the bottom where I can write notes like clean Kittius's litter box, put out food and water for him, check that everything is unplugged or turned off and doors locked etc.

Doing both latin and standard - that makes you two pros at comp prep!!
maybe you want to run a column on that Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »

I think just certifiably insane.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 12:24:43 AM »

most important thing to remember:

you are doing this to have fun....

[its also the easiest thing of all to forget]

Of course!!!! if it is not fun you have to wonder why you would do so  Tongue

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 01:10:10 AM »

I think the word sadist comes to mind.   Grin

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11:14 AM »

I think the word sadist comes to mind.   Grin

well then there are lots of us then. Cool

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »

We have a 'dance bag'. In it we have hair brushes, hairspray, hair bands, clips, safety pins, sewing kit, spare shoes, I think at one stage we had spare bra straps, and tights. This is for the whole family.
Makeup goes separately. I have my own little makeup bag with concealer, foundation, blush, eyeshadow, and mascara. It has lip gloss in it and sometimes eyeliner, but I don't use either. My sisters either borrow a little bit of my makeup or go without. They don't really use it much (even less than me, which I didn't think possible)

The night before I make sure I have the appropriate dress and underwear ready (there's nothing like running around on comp morning because you can't find an appropriate bra for your dress...sister did that last time), attempt to get a good night's sleep, and try to make sure everything is in an easy place to find.
On the morning of the comp I give myself plenty of time to get ready. Shower and then wandering around in a dressing gown for an hour or so while I help prepare munchies. 3/4 of an hour before we leave I do my hair, 1/2 an hour before I do my makeup, and right before I go I put on my dress.

At the comp I find DP and cling to him until our first event, shaking partly from cold and partly from nerves the whole time. Then after that I'm fine.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »

I have a special bag that only has comp stuff in it that is always ready to go.  I make sure it is rekitted after every comp so I don't have to worry.  I have our registrations cards, scissors, sewing kit, lots of safety pins, pain killers, some face washers to mop up perspiration, hand wash gel, strapping tape, an elastic bandage and a cold and hot pack that you activate if needed.  It also has a couple of biros and highlighters in different colours (especially if my kids are dancing so I can keep track of their events).  It also has a small emergency makeup kit which I have never used. Then all I have to do is throw in whatever lipstick I am wearing.  I also take a packet of glucose lollies (jelly beans) and some high protein bars.  I usually also cut up some fruit and vegies into sticks to munch on during the day. - mummsie
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 07:10:28 AM »

I've' got a comp this weekend - first in 3 monthds  - come to think of it, I wonder where all my stuff is!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »

I have a special bag that only has comp stuff in it that is always ready to go.  I make sure it is rekitted after every comp so I don't have to worry.  I have our registrations cards, scissors, sewing kit, lots of safety pins, pain killers, some face washers to mop up perspiration, hand wash gel, strapping tape, an elastic bandage and a cold and hot pack that you activate if needed.  It also has a couple of biros and highlighters in different colours (especially if my kids are dancing so I can keep track of their events).  It also has a small emergency makeup kit which I have never used. Then all I have to do is throw in whatever lipstick I am wearing.  I also take a packet of glucose lollies (jelly beans) and some high protein bars.  I usually also cut up some fruit and vegies into sticks to munch on during the day. - mummsie

I also have something almost Identical....The last two times I have made soup to take with us in a thermos also. I just dont want to eat rubbish it defeats the purpose

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: