partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Funstuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  trophies, tokens, tapes.... where are YOUR prizes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: trophies, tokens, tapes.... where are YOUR prizes?  (Read 5731 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 15, 2009, 06:27:20 AM »

so you competed in 200 heats at the last competition - and you got 200 stickers ... or the tinny trophy collection etc where are they now? 
But any favorites?  Clever ideas for trophies? Trophy embarassments???

this topic springs from the 'is it an argument or a contradiction' thread..

I have a shelf in cubpoard where they accumulate at least 2 deep....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:22:27 AM »

we have started to collect ribbons, certificates and a couple of medals, currently they are sitting in a cupboard, but  a friend jokingly said we will have to make a display cabinet....Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:49:16 AM »

Why not proudly? 

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »

I have a few ribbons hung over my curtain rail, but mostly I just get certificats, and because I'm pretty much the only one in my division I get lots. They go on a shelf in my room but it's no big deal if a few get lost.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »

Why not proudly? 

Oh they have been out on display....the next lot will be on display, bit like birthday cards. they stay there for a few weeks and get moved till the next lot Cheesy

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »

I sold most of my trophies to a local trophy shop in London. I got enough more together for a lesson and a pair of shoes Tongue Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »

I sold most of my trophies to a local trophy shop in London. I got enough more together for a lesson and a pair of shoes Tongue Grin

lol. my mother will kill me if i did what you did.

i have all my trophies and certificates and medals. my mother hang them on the wall. (how many - i don't know, around 30-40. they gave us trophies and medal only on the major, big competitions)  Cool

i have somewhere a picture.  Tongue

but what i don't like is that my mother likes to show to our family and friends my first competition.  Roll Eyes Tongue

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »

Funny, my mother would have killed me if I hadn't done it. It was going to cost me an extra 2000 pounds if I was to move them to the US with all my stuff as I would have move up into the next price category. My mother said that would be a waste of money because on things that would end in a box up on the loft. My mother asked me, if I really needed things to remember what I had done. If that was the case then I should work on developing a better memory and not keep the things around the made my memory lazy.

Edward Teller
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »

Funny, my mother would have killed me if I hadn't done it. It was going to cost me an extra 2000 pounds if I was to move them to the US with all my stuff as I would have move up into the next price category. My mother said that would be a waste of money because on things that would end in a box up on the loft. My mother asked me, if I really needed things to remember what I had done. If that was the case then I should work on developing a better memory and not keep the things around the made my memory lazy.

my mother still have them all. and she can keep them.  Grin

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:04:28 PM »

My dance room, is where I keep my dance ones.  Wall trophies, regular trophies, medals and trophies with disks and some certificates.  They have begun to take over but really they are dust collectors.  In the long run the first ones and my dad's ones are the most meaningful.  The important thing is not the trophy but the experience and that you accomplished it together with your partner.  Perhaps we have to look at the trophy as not what place it is but what it represent.  For some the trophy shows that you can overcome your nerves or an injury and get out there anyway.  For others it's a reward for hard work.  Others, the ability to work with another person as a partnership.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 02:33:21 AM »

Please tell me you kept one or two - perhaps for when the memory is not so acute and one needs a reminder?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 02:48:01 AM »

Please tell me you kept one or two - perhaps for when the memory is not so acute and one needs a reminder?

I had an obscene amount of trophies. Most of them I wouldn’t have out in public view anyway. There was some nice once that I donated to the school I used to go to. When I was an amateur there used to be a competition in Austria that lasted for 10 days. There was a competition every night and every night we won two trophies. We had to buy an extra suitcase to fit them all in and pay overweight to the airline to bring them back. There was one year that we danced about 60 competitions and that brought home a few trophies. We could have set up a trophy shop with the amount of trophies we had but I wanted to move to the US so having a shop in London was just not in the cards. 

I did keep two of them   Tongue    but don't tell my mother. Grin

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 02:55:17 AM »

We wont tell our lips are sealed  Lips sealed

Dance Forum
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »

I had an obscene amount of trophies. Most of them I wouldn’t have out in public view anyway. There was some nice once that I donated to the school I used to go to. When I was an amateur there used to be a competition in Austria that lasted for 10 days. There was a competition every night and every night we won two trophies. We had to buy an extra suitcase to fit them all in and pay overweight to the airline to bring them back. There was one year that we danced about 60 competitions and that brought home a few trophies. We could have set up a trophy shop with the amount of trophies we had but I wanted to move to the US so having a shop in London was just not in the cards. 

once, when i moved to a new apartment, my father came to visit and he saw my medals and trophies and asked - is this all yours?? (he is a soccer coach so he also had medals.)  Tongue

i left also couple of trophies in the ex- studio.

last year my mother sent me my diplomas (i needed her for papers) and i payed shipping more than $200. and it was only papers in side.  Undecided

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

Let me think....

Most of my trophies are stacked rather neatly (relative to the rest of the room) in my book shelf. Some of the larger ones won't fit in my book shelf, so I put them in the lounge (yea those are the ones that i want to show off LOL). Ribbons are sort of just shoved away somewhere, along with medals and certificates. I found 2 medals in my shoe bag today, and they smell like shoes, so they can stay there. LoL One of my trophie is the shape of a wine/champagn glass....so naturally I drank out of it.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: