partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 11:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Social Dancing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Social Dancing  (Read 13768 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2010, 07:23:49 AM »

Maybe its time you organized your own... Rent a hall, and get all the competition dancers in the area to split the cost) - I did exactly that many years ago at a couple of locations.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2010, 07:32:05 AM »

we are working on that. going to a meeting on Sunday and putting a proposal to them Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »

Great!

I hope you'll call it "PDOodle Dance'

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Great!

I hope you'll call it "PDOodle Dance'

well they will wonder what the heck is that..well some of them will as others know I am involved with PDO, they are unfortuantely not interneters Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:21 AM »

..so maybe we need a written version just for them Cheesy

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »

..so maybe we need a written version just for them Cheesy

Ok one day we will have a PDO magazine Shocked

Dance Forum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »

Moving over from the beginner's lead dilemma thread, as it's particularly appropriate for me right now...

That to me is "social dancing".  Everything is still correct, just not maximized to it's maximum stride.  Your lead is correct, your movement is correct, your technique, frame, posture, everything is nice and correct.  When you start to break speed records, that's what I like to call "competitive dancing". 
That's what social dancing should be. That's however not what it is in reality, and honestly I highly doubt that average social dancers care. Maybe it's a jaded view, but I sincerely think it's true. I've heard enough people say "we don't really want to get too technical". And since the customer is always right...

At my studio, we've got 2 main socials--the big one on Saturday nights (that C and Ginger have been to as well), but also a more casual one on Sunday afternoons that's more geared towards lower-level dancers.  For a long time my pro was in charge of the Sunday dances, which included teaching the class beforehand.  Well, I just found out that he was recently removed from hosting the Sunday dances because too many people complained that he was getting "too technical" in the classes.

It just burns me up. Angry My pro's one of the best at the studio and they just refuse to listen to him, don't want to know how to dance well...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 11:39:01 PM »

I think that really belongs in the thread about level of social dance scene. It almost seems like it takes some critical mass to bring it up.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »

The thing is, on Saturday nights the level is actually reasonably high--it's just on Sunday afternoons that the social-only crowd shows up and none of the competitive dancers go.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 06:26:49 AM »

The thing is, on Saturday nights the level is actually reasonably high--it's just on Sunday afternoons that the social-only crowd shows up and none of the competitive dancers go.

We have similar issues, you find that like minded dances veer to the same school. The city is not that big and in the end you there are only so many schools. Some are for social only, where people are trying to find life partners and others where the focus is more on the dancing. Each has its place, you just have to find the one that suits you.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »

Well this was a bit weird - but a lot of fun!  I happened to be out the west end of town (to buy a crib Smiley ) and thought I would go to usual Wed practise place (30-and-up) to get a little dance motion in to this body.  This is a place where a few couples practise on a full-sized floor - there are no singles there.  After about half an hour after I got there a guy walked who was tall, skiny, with long grey hair that was in a cute pony tail.  So he walks up to me without any kind of introduction and starts to dance salsa with me- it was weird because it felt like we had planned to dance together, or even as if we were partners. 

Now this is where the story is supposed to be that he was a great dancer who was looking for a championship partner (I wish).  But no, he was a mid-level social dancer and from what I could glean he was there to practise a routine he had learned in rumba and my purpose in life was to be his practise pigeon!  It was actually a lot of fun and he taught me a lot about following latin - hand pressure stuff that I had forgotton or maybe never learned.  We actually did fine - until a waltz came on and I asked him to do standard.  Well, then he started to instruct me there also and apparently I don't have a clue how to dance waltz.  At that point I thought I had better tell him about my own experience (this had never come up) - but he was totally non-plussed and explained that 'competitor types' wre not very good at following him! 

Now this was an argument I couldn't counter - after all, its the woman's role to follow whatever the guy throws at her - which I admitted to him - and dutifully followed.  What I did was close my eyes and go into total follow mode.  I listened to every movement in his body, the forward hint, the rise the fall, the brush - even the breath and Lo (I'm very proud to say) we managed a whole long side without stopping.  BoS rules!!  And I really enjoyed it. 

After about a total of 90 minutes dancing he suddenly declared that he had to leave and went just as mysteriously!!  Who was that unmasked, ponytailed man??

Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »

Well, you came out the richer for the experience and he came out with nothing in that you learned to be able to dance with someone regardless of their experience but, since he thinks he already knows everything, he was not open for learning things from you back so became the poorer for it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 05:49:06 AM »

Well, you came out the richer for the experience and he came out with nothing in that you learned to be able to dance with someone regardless of their experience but, since he thinks he already knows everything, he was not open for learning things from you back so became the poorer for it.

I think thats about right - I also had a fun evening!

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »

Great story!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »

Great story!

And tonight we try again....

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: