partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Social Dancing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Social Dancing  (Read 13892 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:11:28 AM »

Had  a conversation with some other comp dances last night who are making their way into NV, the trouble with that is that you don't seem to remember the dances as well.

I recommended that they go social dancing so they can consolidate the dances into memory, but their comment was that they don't like social dances, and I understand as sometimes when there are way too many on the dance floor it can be a nightmare. But I still think that is a good way to learn the dances...what do others think.?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »

I think it's an excellent idea.

Tonight we learnt two new dances. Far from perfected, but we know the steps.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »

I recommended that they go social dancing so they can consolidate the dances into memory, but their comment was that they don't like social dances, and I understand as sometimes when there are way too many on the dance floor it can be a nightmare. But I still think that is a good way to learn the dances...what do others think.?

Since we don't dance NV here, I'd have to draw an analogy to something else.  Line dancing seems to be a good comparison because line dances are all sequenced.  A lot of line dances are learned by people just getting into the middle of it and moving with the crowd until they get it.  Some of the country dance halls have group classes the hour before the dancing starts where they teach some of the line dance sequences, but then you still have to get it all into muscle memory.  From my own experience, the best way to get anything choreographed firmly into your head is to just do it over and over again, and of course that's exactly what happens with line dances at the country socials.

(Line dances sometimes have callers too, so in that respect they are unlike NV.  But people who already know the dance ignore the caller.)

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »

NV is something different again to ine dancing as that is done seperately with out a partner. NV is modern steps done over a pattern of 16-32 bars. Sometimes the holds are different , open hold (more side by side) or closed...in ballroom hold. so you are always partner dancing.

I find that comp dancers who do this style that don't social dance take longer to remember the patterns.  although on the flip side, those tht learn from soical dancing learn bad habits that they then have to relearn the correct way.

Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22:02 PM »

just my 2 cents worth.  I have never really been into social dancing and there is no way I could ever get Gary to set foot in a social dance.  He just doesn't.  But I guess it would help to learn the patterns.  My first ever NV dance I learnt was the Barclay Blues, I went with a girlfriend to a social dance class and that was the dance I learnt - she talked me into going to the advanced end first up. Grin  I just got up and followed the person behind and in front. 
Some of us social dance and some don't.  I don't think it really mattered to us in helping to remember them - Gary still has trouble remembering dances like Charmaine and Merilyn if we have to get up and do them.   Grin mummsie
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 03:11:15 AM »

yes...I love the social dancing so we can catch up with friends...otherwise I dont see anyone.... and all our friends dance and go out dancing each week-end...it just becomes a lifestyle and part of my exercise regime  Tongue

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 03:13:12 AM »

by DVS
One of my teachers used to say that to become a great dancer, you need to be a great social dancer with a great top line and a great presentation.

after making my post I found this post on another thread perfect follower

Dance Forum
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 08:03:32 PM »

by DVS
One of my teachers used to say that to become a great dancer, you need to be a great social dancer with a great top line and a great presentation.

Everytime I tried to have a great top line and presentation in social dancing I was told to 'chill out, this is not a comp' in that exact wordings.

So I don't now.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »

yes, thats about it...
Thats why I go social dancing with a competitor Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 02:29:31 AM »

by DVS

Everytime I tried to have a great top line and presentation in social dancing I was told to 'chill out, this is not a comp' in that exact wordings.

So I don't now.

Nothing wrong with keeping your frame, as long as you don't knock anyone else out with an elbow. When things get crowded DP and I drop one or both arms, but keep the same body shape.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 02:45:37 AM »

by DVS

So I don't now.

Nothing wrong with keeping your frame, as long as you don't knock anyone else out with an elbow. When things get crowded DP and I drop one or both arms, but keep the same body shape.
[If I understood correctly, I think DGD was referring to her dance partners, not the other couples...]

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »

You can hold shape and not hold out your elbows...but my love of social dancing is waining at the moment, I only go to places now that wont be crowded. Undecided

Dance Forum
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »

by DVS

So I don't now.

[If I understood correctly, I think DGD was referring to her dance partners, not the other couples...]

Yes actually that was what I meant.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

Ok then. I misinterpreted it.

I've had quite a few guys go all 'Well, who's being fancy' when I keep a basic frame and don't bend over like the rest of the women.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »

I've had quite a few guys go all 'Well, who's being fancy' when I keep a basic frame and don't bend over like the rest of the women.
but thats not necessarily negative is it?  they might be impressed....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: