partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 12:06:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Crash and burn
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Crash and burn  (Read 2916 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: May 13, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »

Ever experienced a train wreck during a comp heat?  Post it here!   Cheesy

Last year, an instructor and I were dancing a solo in a comp where I had on a jacket and a fake shirt collar and sleeves.  At one point I was supposed to rip out the sleeves and collar, and then remove and toss off the jacket.  The sleeves were held in with two-sided tape, which unfortunately stuck to the inside of the jacket sleeve when I pulled the fake sleeves out.  Then the jacket stuck to my shirt and wouldn't come off.   Angry  This was the same dance in which my partner was supposed to do a slide; somehow she didn't get herself turned quite right and wound up with a floor burn on her rear end.   Shocked
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »

Cheesy Wardrobe malfunction! 

Can't think of any epic performance issues yet.  That means only one thing: the worst is yet to come!!! Undecided
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »

Me neither yet. but I have done it where my steps are not correct and look at my partner like I am a deer in the headlights! I must stop doing that.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »

I think most women end up with at least one 'I got my heel stuck in the hem of my dress' story. 

Mine was at my last comp during the QS and my heel got stuck behind the metal tape that serves to spread the hem right at the beginning of the heat - of course I felt like I looked totally idiotic and then realized we were approaching the nightmare scatter chasse side and there was no way I could do it.  So I managed to get my partner to hold off for a moment while I discretely shook the heel free.  Fortunately it came off and I was proud of how I had pulled it off without notice.

then came the video - and amazingly al the time I danced wiht the heel impaled in the skirt I looked fine where as when I shook it off it looked totally rediculous..  I don't know where the judges were looking cause we won the heat Huh
we need a topic on 'the art of competing' to complement this one....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »

Boy do I know the feeling of the heel in the skirt.  In the jive my heel got caugt up in my dress.  All I could do was hop on one foot to the music for a few bars until I could get it loose and hope the judges didn't notice I only had one leg.  I think I did not only a great stork impression but kept time to the music to boot.  If that could win me something I don't know what should.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »

You both have done well, not to injure yourselves. I know of people that have fallen over and broken or cracked limbs (mostly arms) due to mishaps like that...

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

In smooth waltz @ Emerald Ball about 6 years ago, I hit an explosion line. When I got to Tango, my teacher kept looking at my chest and raising his eyebrows. I just couldn't get it till I looked down and saw my dress was UNDONE!

I signaled with one finger "just a minute" to John DePalma--he was laughing. I excused myself from the floor, pinned it closed, and continued to dance!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:29 AM »

In smooth waltz @ Emerald Ball about 6 years ago, I hit an explosion line. When I got to Tango, my teacher kept looking at my chest and raising his eyebrows. I just couldn't get it till I looked down and saw my dress was UNDONE!

I signaled with one finger "just a minute" to John DePalma--he was laughing. I excused myself from the floor, pinned it closed, and continued to dance!

done with Style

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:46:20 AM »

I was in a social dance where one heel caught in the side of my other shoe. went down and nearly drag the guy I was dancing with on top of me and I can tell you he was not little.

another time heel gave way and nearly did the splits, acutally hurt my knee that time it was black and blue

Danger sport this dancing! Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 06:05:43 AM »

and - how did you do? 
bet you got all the judges attention Wink

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »

I was in a social dance where one heel caught in the side of my other shoe. went down and nearly drag the guy I was dancing with on top of me and I can tell you he was not little.

As long as you did a nice hand flourish or pointed the toes on the way down all is good.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »

...and splints are, I believe, in fashion this year....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 07:01:23 AM »

As long as you did a nice hand flourish or pointed the toes on the way down all is good.

OF COURSE  Shocked

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »

Heat: intermediate silver waltz.  The heat has just begun and we're dancing down a long wall, and as we get to the halfway point, my partner whispers to me, "Isn't this heat a split floor?"   Shocked  I realize that I have no idea if it is or not!   Embarrassed  So I abruptly rotate a twinkle, and we proceed to cut across the middle of the floor.  Turns out it isn't a split floor.   Roll Eyes  We won that heat, but I had to endure ribbing from David Hamilton (who was judging) about it.   Cheesy
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:50 AM »

Heat: intermediate silver waltz.  The heat has just begun and we're dancing down a long wall, and as we get to the halfway point, my partner whispers to me, "Isn't this heat a split floor?"   Shocked  I realize that I have no idea if it is or not!   Embarrassed  So I abruptly rotate a twinkle, and we proceed to cut across the middle of the floor.  Turns out it isn't a split floor.   Roll Eyes  We won that heat, but I had to endure ribbing from David Hamilton (who was judging) about it.   Cheesy

At least it ended well Smiley despite the ribbing

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: