partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Unlearning
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Unlearning  (Read 4111 times)
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »

One thing that bugs me is that the math doesn't work out: when I first spoke of unlearning in my previous posts I realized that I had to unlearn about 90% of what I knew.  After my latest bout of coaching two weekends ago, I realize that I have to unlearn about another 90%.  So that's 180% I have "unlearned" this year!!!   Undecided
But the question then becomes...how much have you learned this year?

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »

This topic couldn't have come back up at a better time!  The advice I had given earlier on "unlearning" is something I COMPLETELY forgot to do this time around.  My partner was also trying to "unlearn" instead of just "learning" the new way of doing things.  It was good to read the older posts and realize that I really need to stop unlearning and just start "learning".  One thing that bugs me is that the math doesn't work out: when I first spoke of unlearning in my previous posts I realized that I had to unlearn about 90% of what I knew.  After my latest bout of coaching two weekends ago, I realize that I have to unlearn about another 90%.  So that's 180% I have "unlearned" this year!!!   Undecided

If you unlearn 180% then I figure you just learned 80% Wink

Either that or you really ARE back to walking!  But maybe thats the point....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »

Either that or you really ARE back to walking!  But maybe thats the point....

That would be a great place to start Wink

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:19 AM »

I'm actually at a point where dancing feels better than walking.  DSV, I know you mentioned why dancing often feels better and more effortless than walking.  I don't remember the exact reason.  Can you refresh my memory?  I can dance for three hours without getting tired, but I get tired after walking for more than 35 minutes.  I know this because 35 minutes is how long it takes for me to walk from the place that changes the oil in my car to my office, and I'm pretty tired after the walk (and the walk is 90% through a mall with smooth floors, so no mountains or hills).   
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »

I'm actually at a point where dancing feels better than walking.  DSV, I know you mentioned why dancing often feels better and more effortless than walking.  I don't remember the exact reason.  Can you refresh my memory?  I can dance for three hours without getting tired, but I get tired after walking for more than 35 minutes.  I know this because 35 minutes is how long it takes for me to walk from the place that changes the oil in my car to my office, and I'm pretty tired after the walk (and the walk is 90% through a mall with smooth floors, so no mountains or hills).  

Yes, of course I will be happy to remind you of the reason why it is easier to dance, then it is to walk "normally" down the road.  Cheesy

I do however think this should be moved to the falling topic as that is what it is related to.

DSV
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:16:57 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »

I want to bring up an old subject regarding the man's frame. Since we are talking about unlearning old habits, I can honestly state that mine is over a decade old and that a daily dose of "work for pay" labour constantly reinforces the same old problems. I want to ask the ladies what they expect in a  man's frame. From males far more experienced than myself I would ask how they go about preparing their frame at the moment of competition. I work on frame with a female instructor every lesson. I lose my frame most often during rotation.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »

Stable, not stiff would sum it up.  I hold my own frame (I do not need yours to lean on) but I want one that is stable so that i can very clearly feel the lead.  Its more so now as we have minimized the body contact so I need that frame communication.  It should also be fully extended out by expansion of the shoulder blades..

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »

I would ask, Elisedance, since the concepts you talk about re frame are what I am only starting to understand, do you come by your understanding because of your pro instructor or from practice with your amateur partner.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 09:20:26 PM »

definitely from my pro... (AM has been out for almost 4 weeks Sad )

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »

I lose my frame most often during rotation.

Boy do I ever have that problem.  My shoulders go off in random directions on their own.   Roll Eyes

Here's something I'm having to unlearn.  When we started dancing, my DW, bless her, was a thumb-grabber.  I developed the habit, whenever I lead a turn, of closing my hand so that my thumb was out of harm's way.  Well, the silver group instructor has made comments to me several weeks in a row now about my turn leads being vague, and since my DW hasn't gone after my thumb in years now, I guess it's time to unlearn that habit.  Palm open, palm open, darn it...  Angry
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2009, 03:56:17 AM »

we could have a whole topic on thumb grabbing Cheesy  Ironically its something I've just had to learn - its like the steering stick on an aeroplane... cept the stick is driving the plane that is...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2009, 05:13:53 AM »

Hmm.  I've always been taught to go for the first finger or two, not the thumb.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2009, 06:45:35 AM »

you grip the fingers? 

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »

I lose my frame most often during rotation.
Boy do I ever have that problem.  My shoulders go off in random directions on their own.   Roll Eyes

There's an old trick that we used to use during certain drills when I was in ballet.  I wonder if it would work here too.  Get into frame and place a piece of tape (about 3" long) along the space between your shoulder blades.  If your frame starts to slip, you'll feel the tape, which is a little mental tweak to remind you to keep things in place.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »

Thats cute M.  I wonder if we can adapt that for the other bits of anatomy too - like keeping the pelvis back etc

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: