partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2015, 10:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116893 Posts in 1873 Topics by 224 Members
Latest Member: Hobby Dancer
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Your social dancing last weekend
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Print
Author Topic: Your social dancing last weekend  (Read 40563 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »

Stayed home tonight.  The dance venue I've been going to on Fridays has dwindled down to maybe 5 people in attendance so it's time to make a change.  BUT the good news is I tried a new place on Thursday evening and found they're having a showcase, open dancing in between presentations, and dinner on Sunday - so I'm going to that.  What a great way to celebrate the full moon and summer!
wow, can we all come? Roll Eyes  I hope it works for you.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cha
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #496 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

The showcase was lovely - and the food was actually good!  They had open dancing between acts of showcase dancers and I managed to get a dance in.

What I really liked about the showcase was the variety of levels - from beginners to experienced dancers.   Everyone felt good about themselves and their dancing - which is fabulous!
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #497 on: June 27, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »

It is wonderful.  Smiley  I love evenings like that. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #498 on: January 24, 2014, 05:22:06 AM »

The showcase was lovely - and the food was actually good!  They had open dancing between acts of showcase dancers and I managed to get a dance in.

What I really liked about the showcase was the variety of levels - from beginners to experienced dancers.   Everyone felt good about themselves and their dancing - which is fabulous!
Its such a great alternative to competition where its so much more about what you do well than what you do badly. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2014, 01:05:30 AM »

off to an Australia Day Cabaret tonight, have done social dancing for three weeks in a row. The only down side is the places we have been going to are getting very busy so we don't get to style the way we use to, but we use it for Stamina training

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »

off to an Australia Day Cabaret tonight, have done social dancing for three weeks in a row. The only down side is the places we have been going to are getting very busy so we don't get to style the way we use to, but we use it for Stamina training
why not use if for having fun Tongue Wink 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #501 on: January 25, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »

why not use if for having fun Tongue Wink 

Fun! yes I do remember that. Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2014, 10:24:55 PM »

Cheesy

Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2015, 12:49:48 AM »

This weekend was very illuminating from the perspective of how much difference music makes for social dancers and their gatherings. Went to one social on Saturday and it was a thin crowd, part of the problem I think lay in the music selection, SAME EXACT PLAYLIST they were using 10 years ago. Seen this happen with another dance and because of the same reason (verified this with several other dancers who used to go) that the music was boring, generic cookie cutter music. Eventually, nobody went anymore.

I wound up DJ-ing again last Sunday, by and large it went over really well and did my darndest to avoid things that were played to death. One thing that didn't fly was a fast swing bordering on Quickstep tune, the beat didn't come through quite clear enough (room acoustics played a part in it, live room with a lot of hard surfaces), lesson learned. Other thing was a few too many fast Waltzes (other lesson learned), outside of that, the dancers liked the idea of some very different music than what had been previously served up, doing it again in a couple weeks and doing a Cha Cha lesson too. A work in progress, and even in the midst of it (thanks to my laptop), I got to join in the party and test out some of the songs myself. Gotta say, some Steely Dan tunes make some pretty nice West Coast Swing.

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #504 on: June 15, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »

This weekend was very illuminating from the perspective of how much difference music makes for social dancers and their gatherings. Went to one social on Saturday and it was a thin crowd, part of the problem I think lay in the music selection, SAME EXACT PLAYLIST they were using 10 years ago. Seen this happen with another dance and because of the same reason (verified this with several other dancers who used to go) that the music was boring, generic cookie cutter music. Eventually, nobody went anymore.

I wound up DJ-ing again last Sunday, by and large it went over really well and did my darndest to avoid things that were played to death. One thing that didn't fly was a fast swing bordering on Quickstep tune, the beat didn't come through quite clear enough (room acoustics played a part in it, live room with a lot of hard surfaces), lesson learned. Other thing was a few too many fast Waltzes (other lesson learned), outside of that, the dancers liked the idea of some very different music than what had been previously served up, doing it again in a couple weeks and doing a Cha Cha lesson too. A work in progress, and even in the midst of it (thanks to my laptop), I got to join in the party and test out some of the songs myself. Gotta say, some Steely Dan tunes make some pretty nice West Coast Swing.

Cara Emerald has some great swing tunes including quicksteps ( I think her name is with a C)

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #505 on: June 15, 2015, 01:36:59 AM »

I think providers get lazy, they should have several different play lists and bring them out at different times, nothing worse that getting up and sure enough you hear the same waltz or tango etc. Especially if it is organ-grinder music  Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #506 on: June 16, 2015, 12:32:18 AM »

I think providers get lazy, they should have several different play lists and bring them out at different times, nothing worse that getting up and sure enough you hear the same waltz or tango etc. Especially if it is organ-grinder music  Roll Eyes

LMAO!!! Organ-grinder music!   Grin   Cheesy   Tongue   You're right, laziness and complacency run rampant in some circles, sad to say.

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #507 on: June 16, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »

Didn't we have a DJ or dance music topic once?  Maybe should resuscitate!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: