partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Your social dancing last weekend
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Print
Author Topic: Your social dancing last weekend  (Read 35319 times)
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2011, 02:02:41 AM »

Just got back from a wonderful night at the Country Western Social Club dance in Atlanta, which I am happy to report is now TWICE a month!  Grin

My two-step is gradually improving and I'm actually starting to really enjoy West Coast Swing in a way I never did before. It helps that I had MANY wonderful and encouraging partners, got lots of compliments on my timing and rhythm, and my leading too. Sure made for a fun night, especially the last Cha-Cha of the night with an amazing partner!

One of the organizers said he saw me doing a lot of good stuff out there on the floor, which amazed me, as I have NOT had a lot of experience with WCS or Two-Step. When I told him I had only been doing those 2 dances not even a year yet, he was shocked.

One lady I danced with several times said she really enjoyed watching me do WCS too! That floored me, again as I am so new to that whole realm.

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2011, 04:10:15 AM »

Country two step - the very definition of fun dancing!!  I think its impossible to be in a bad mood while you are doing it..
Sounds like the social scene is treating you well BP

But tell me, how well do penguins and bears get on ayway?  They don't have much chance to meet in nature...  Maybe thats why there are penguins in antarctica (I mean what if polar bears got there?)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »

Country two step - the very definition of fun dancing!!  I think its impossible to be in a bad mood while you are doing it..
Sounds like the social scene is treating you well BP

But tell me, how well do penguins and bears get on anyway?  They don't have much chance to meet in nature...  Maybe thats why there are penguins in Antarctica (I mean what if polar bears got there?)

Grin  Two Step really is growing on me for sure!

In an alternate reality/bizarro universe, they just might have some dialog. It's interesting that in real life, certain species of penguin are at the South Pole and Polar Bears are at the North Pole and northern Canada.

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #453 on: August 14, 2011, 09:17:30 AM »

went to a friends 60th birthday social.  It was a pleasant evening......music was ordinary. the person doing the music uses very old fashion music. And they did dances I dont know, with so many people on the floor freestyle  was difficult.. But the dances we did do we enjoyed.... I hope I get the love back for social dancing once I finish competing.... but going back to being small and slow on the floor is not appealing Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #454 on: August 14, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »

went to a friends 60th birthday social.  It was a pleasant evening......music was ordinary. the person doing the music uses very old fashion music. And they did dances I dont know, with so many people on the floor freestyle  was difficult.. But the dances we did do we enjoyed.... I hope I get the love back for social dancing once I finish competing.... but going back to being small and slow on the floor is not appealing Roll Eyes

I think the best strategy would be to do a style that was totally different - three step, minuette, mazurka ... anything.  Then the small scale wouldn't be so, well, restrictive...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #455 on: August 16, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »

One of these days I need to learn some two-step.  It's on my list; I'm just not sure when I'm going to get to it. 

Our social dancing was less than satisfactory last weekend.  Several months ago the DW and I interrupted the work we were doing on rebuilding our connection, and last Friday, all the old problems were back: no momentum in waltz or FT, and a general lack of balance and polish anywhere in smooth.  And then I had another partner (not my DW) who was very rude to me.  We wound up leaving early. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #456 on: August 16, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »

One of these days I need to learn some two-step.  It's on my list; I'm just not sure when I'm going to get to it. 

Don't do it all on one stride - fit in a little one step here and a little one step there and pretty soon you will have saved enough for a two step.

And don't hesitate to call when you need some more advice Grin

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #457 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »

On those rare occasions when they allow me to deejay, I have been known to introduce a two-step thusly: "Thou shalt not do the three-step, nor shalt thou do the one-step unless thou doest proceed directly to the two-step.  Five is right out!"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #458 on: August 17, 2011, 05:30:54 AM »

On those rare occasions when they allow me to deejay, I have been known to introduce a two-step thusly: "Thou shalt not do the three-step, nor shalt thou do the one-step unless thou doest proceed directly to the two-step.  Five is right out!"

Smiley

However, the 0-step is still optional

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #459 on: August 17, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »

we dont do the two step here so not sure what that is

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #460 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »

hold your partner and bounce from one foot to the other while going round and round and down the floor.  HOOOWWWDDYYY!! you are doing the two step ... or was that the polka?  I forget.... Grin

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #461 on: August 17, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »

hold your partner and bounce from one foot to the other while going round and round and down the floor.  HOOOWWWDDYYY!! you are doing the two step ... or was that the polka?  I forget.... Grin

must get dizzy! Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #462 on: August 18, 2011, 11:12:41 PM »

must get dizzy! Shocked
thats half the fun Smiley

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »

Went to a WCS party last night.  First one I've been to.  It was a lot of fun!   Cheesy  I was afraid I'd get bored doing the same dance all night.  I didn't really; it was actually quite enjoyable, although I could stand to learn a few new steps.  What was a treat was watching some really good WCS dancers.  On the typical Friday night at our studio, I'm about the best WCS lead on the floor other than the instructors.  Not so last night... I spent time in between dances watching some other couples who were very good.  And there were a lot of people I've not met before.  Lots of new partners!   Cool
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #464 on: August 29, 2011, 03:57:16 AM »

sounds fun.  My weekend dancing has deteriorated to a 2 hr practice each sunday morning Undecided  Actually, it is a bit social as the same two teachers and their student couple come at the end so we've all become rather chatty.  Still, not exactly what you think of as social dancing!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: