partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 02:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Music (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Classical music greats - what should the rest of us hear? And by whom?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Classical music greats - what should the rest of us hear? And by whom?  (Read 6755 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 06:46:29 AM »

Peer Gynt Suite

Swan Lake by Prokoviev

Night on a Bare Mountain by Mussorsky

Arbos; Tabula Rasa; Arvo Part

Spem in Alium Thomas Tallis

Stravinsky's Rites of Spring

Philip Glass: Einstein on the Beach

Steve Reich: Drumming and Different Trains

On the Dominant Divide by ? whassisname

( just to show I know music that isnt AT)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:49:36 AM by Bordertangoman » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 07:31:20 AM »

Peer Gynt Suite

Especially Solveig's Song and Death of Ase
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »

Peer Gynt Suite

Especially Solveig's Song and Death of Ase

and The Hall of the Mountain King

da -da-da da da-da-da, da, da, da

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »

in time.... suggest some faves - but I am not a copeland fan.... unless you are watching cowboy movies that is Smiley

When Copeland's name is mentioned, everyone thinks of Appalacian Spring or Billy the Kid.  For a different side of Copeland, try to dig up a copy of the Third Symphony, Lincoln Portrait, or especially Music for the Theatre.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »

What does everybody think of Pictures At an Exhibition?  I've heard the Mussorsky piano arrangement.  I've got a copy of the Cleveland Symphany performing the Ravel orchestral arrangment, and I once heard a performance of an orchestral arrangement by someone else (can't remember who).  And then I've also got the infamous Emerson, Lake & Palmer version.   Roll Eyes
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:58 PM »

I am listening to it on You Tube...very grand :-)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 01:48:38 AM »

For me, I'm partial to Tchaikovsky's ballet suites: The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake...

But then again, I started out as a classically trained ballet dancer.

see, I have a hard time with T's music - I have always strongly disliked the Nutcracker - seen it as a kid and adult several times and its just a jumble of people, noise, and a non-sensical story line.  The music certainly has its catchy bits but T is, well, unsatisfying.

Wait, I'm not done yet!

I love violin music (for obvious reasons).  The best violinist probably since Paganini (who was undoubtedly the genius since he revolutionized the instrument) was Heifetz.  So I have a few Heifetz CDs - and his playing is superlative - technically but it is harsh and hard - in everything except T.  It is gorgeous in his hands - and (IMO) the vehicle to his genius.  So now I'm divided on T.  On the one hand, he sounds like movie accompaniment music but on the other is ths richeness that I get from Heifetz.

OTOH (and its a big one) as dance music - if I could move to it - perhaps I would enjoy the rest of it much more.  Just never had a chance to try - but I do see why a ballet dancer would go bonkers for it - translated into movement....
I have no doubt that the draw to the music for me is because I have danced them...also, I have some fond childhood memories associated with The Nutcracker. 

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 08:41:29 AM »

What does everybody think of Pictures At an Exhibition?  I've heard the Mussorsky piano arrangement.  I've got a copy of the Cleveland Symphany performing the Ravel orchestral arrangment, and I once heard a performance of an orchestral arrangement by someone else (can't remember who).  And then I've also got the infamous Emerson, Lake & Palmer version.   Roll Eyes

The only Mussorsky I've heard is The Old Castle, from PaaE, and it was me playing it. Still, I quite like it.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »

John adams - that's it

ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »

bortkiewicz, blumenfeld, balakirev, bach, borrodin, chopin, czerny, copland, debussy, elgar, grieg, glinka, liszt lyapunov, mussorsky, moszkowski, pachabel, ponce, prokofiev, ravel, rachmaninoff, stravinsky, scriabin, and the list goes on

if you are looking for anything specific just ask

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 12:54:26 AM »

Any particular pieces by any of them?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 02:44:22 AM »

bortkiewicz, blumenfeld, balakirev, bach, borrodin, chopin, czerny, copland, debussy, elgar, grieg, glinka, liszt lyapunov, mussorsky, moszkowski, pachabel, ponce, prokofiev, ravel, rachmaninoff, stravinsky, scriabin, and the list goes on

if you are looking for anything specific just ask

Zac

I like them better one at a time Z Tongue
More important, which do YOU like best?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 05:27:21 AM »

sorry, i have a tendancy of doing that, i've played piano for 10 years!
some of my personal favourites which definately deserve a listen are:

Balakirev - Nocturne No.3
Chopin - Bercuse Op.57
Elgar - Cello Concerto, Piano Quartet/trios
Ravel - Miroirs Suite, La Valse,  Jeux Deau, Piano Trio
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concertos, Piano Quartet/Trios
Stravinsky - Firebird Suite
Scriabin - Etudes

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »

thanks - even better if you can find a version you recommend on utube we can listen to Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »

thanks - even better if you can find a version you recommend on utube we can listen to Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxh5VFin6r8

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: