partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 05:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Computer Tech stuff (Moderators: cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  help me buy a cell phone/PDA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: help me buy a cell phone/PDA  (Read 6679 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 08, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »

My contract on my cell phone has just expired YIPPEEE.  so now I can get something new.

I want to use it as a phone.

I want it to be reasonably simple (life is too short)

And I want ease at texting

what should I get? (and what should I avoid)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:10:24 PM »

What else will you use it for?

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »

I got an Apple last year. I am not a tech person by any stretch of the imagination but was really positively surprised how easy it was to use. I actually have come to really like my Apple.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:35:07 AM »

I also dont like phones with gadgets... I only use it to call. I will look to see what the prepaid phones have on offer. currently I use a motorola and I am happy with its features.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »

I got an Apple last year. I am not a tech person by any stretch of the imagination but was really positively surprised how easy it was to use. I actually have come to really like my Apple.

the only thing that i don't like with iphone is that you can accept multimedia messages.

i like blackberry storm.  Cool

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »

I'm every which way.  I like a phone to be a phone - so I was toying with getting a nice comfortable hand set with one of those slide out QWERTY keyboards.  I currently have a motorola but mine is so dumb - the volume keys stick out on the sides so you almost invariably turn the sound to off and miss calls. Drives me crazy.  Its also too thin to be easily turned on quickly for an incoming call - I miss more than I get.

OTOH I am tempted to also do email which means either an Iphone or a blackberry.  The former is sleek and simple with its touch-screen design - but text messaging friends have pointed out that its a bit irritating when you get good at it as you have to look at the screen to text - the pros like tactile keys.

and I have heard that the Iphone tries to be so much that its phone functions are a bit compromised.  However, that may have been just for what that particular owner wanted to do.  Another one goes flat awfully fast.

MK - any problems associated with the storm?  Here buying one means one has to go with a particular service provider (telus).  Do you have them down south and if so how good are they?  Also, how is it just as a phone - do all the buttons drive you crazy when trying to change a simple feature!

Anyone else have an Iphone or storm?  Any other ideas?

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »

I'm every which way.  I like a phone to be a phone - so I was toying with getting a nice comfortable hand set with one of those slide out QWERTY keyboards.  I currently have a motorola but mine is so dumb - the volume keys stick out on the sides so you almost invariably turn the sound to off and miss calls. Drives me crazy.  Its also too thin to be easily turned on quickly for an incoming call - I miss more than I get.

OTOH I am tempted to also do email which means either an Iphone or a blackberry.  The former is sleek and simple with its touch-screen design - but text messaging friends have pointed out that its a bit irritating when you get good at it as you have to look at the screen to text - the pros like tactile keys.

and I have heard that the Iphone tries to be so much that its phone functions are a bit compromised.  However, that may have been just for what that particular owner wanted to do.  Another one goes flat awfully fast.

MK - any problems associated with the storm?  Here buying one means one has to go with a particular service provider (telus).  Do you have them down south and if so how good are they?  Also, how is it just as a phone - do all the buttons drive you crazy when trying to change a simple feature!

Anyone else have an Iphone or storm?  Any other ideas?

here storm you can buy in verizon wirreles stores. but i know that you can buy also the one that is unlocked. i don't know the price. (i can find out)

my friend has it. and he likes it.

slavik has iphone and he is spending all the time playing games. when it comes to iphone, the battery is bad. you need to charge the phone almost every day.

i have pantech duo. http://www.pantechusa.com/web/guest/duo  and i don't like it at all. menu is bad. it looks cute, but it is a piece of s***.

i also like htc. good quality.

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »

thanks MK - thats really useful.  I wonder if I can get an unlocked storm here
I know what that means in terms of the phone - but whats the advantage?  I suppose you can just pay for service?

Does your provider charge for text messaging?  Here TELUS carries storm and they charge as does Bell canada Sad

malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »

thanks MK - thats really useful.  I wonder if I can get an unlocked storm here
I know what that means in terms of the phone - but whats the advantage?  I suppose you can just pay for service?

Does your provider charge for text messaging?  Here TELUS carries storm and they charge as does Bell canada Sad

check this http://www.worldunlocked.com/BLACKBERRY-STORM-p1822.html?gclid=CKXMkJyYspoCFQkzawodKBNJbg

when it comes to phones i like better unlocked. because when i am travelling somwhere i can just buy a prepaid card for cell phone and talk. i used to do that a lot in europe.

i have at&t here. and we pay $5 for 200 messages. and i can talk with anybody who is with at&t - for free. (this is why i am with carol for 1-2 hours on the phone  Cool )

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:25:02 AM »

I have the Blackberry curve, which I absolutely love.  I'd highly recommend it.

You can check mine out and see if you like it, if you want.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 04:32:31 AM »

did you get that from telus - or buy it independently or from some other SP?
thats the one with the real buttons, not the virtual ones right...

Also, how is it 'as a phone' - it looks a bit large...

LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »

I love my Samsung Blackjack.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »

did you get that from telus - or buy it independently or from some other SP?
thats the one with the real buttons, not the virtual ones right...

Also, how is it 'as a phone' - it looks a bit large...
I use Rogers, so I got it when I renewed my contract with them.  Telus sells the blackberry curve too though.

The curve is the one with the real buttons and, as a phone, I find that it's on par with the Morotola RAZR, which is what I had for this line prior to the bb, and what I still have as my US pay-as-you-go phone.  The signal strength is good, the voice quality is solid, the handheld is light, so the fact that it's a bit wider than a normal phone isn't really noticeable.  You're more than welcome to check it out if we meet up for coffee/lunch/dinner/social time next week.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »

cool.  Of course my IP is Bell currently so if I switch I won't get the resigning bonuses - and Bell doesn't do BB.  OTOH they charge excessivley for texting - I have rogers for my home computer hookup but maybe I could get a deal from them for switching....

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 01:07:28 AM »

Yes they do.  My mom is with Bell and she's got a BB.  I'm sure you can get a deal for bundling with Rogers though.  Either way, it's all about the same.  We get ripped off badly for wireless in Canada.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: