partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 09:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Pick me - please?..... Pretty please??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Pick me - please?..... Pretty please??  (Read 7122 times)
Beachbum
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »

hey, BB - will you dance wiht me Wink
PS, before you answer, - I'm going to be in Chicago in November... Smiley

You know where to find me.

..........SHE knows where to find me too.  (Should I move this to the "Love stinks" thread?   Cheesy)

hey, I hope I don't deserve that too...
what did I do?

If you have to ask, there's no point in me explaining it.   Cry  <sob, whimper>

( Wink Just feel like poking sticks into various cages today and noting the reaction...  Kiss   Great sport!)

Yes.  Quite.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »

grrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

[better be a little careful...]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »

hey, BB - will you dance wiht me Wink
PS, before you answer, - I'm going to be in Chicago in November... Smiley

You know where to find me.

..........SHE knows where to find me too.  (Should I move this to the "Love stinks" thread?   Cheesy)

hey, I hope I don't deserve that too...
what did I do?

If you have to ask, there's no point in me explaining it.   Cry  <sob, whimper>

( Wink Just feel like poking sticks into various cages today and noting the reaction...  Kiss   Great sport!)

Sigh.  No poking sticks here! 
Let's all play nice boys and girls!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
David Bailey
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »

If you are a gentle-man like me, you wont mind being asked, but  a man following  the milonguero codigos will say no.
That's because those particular codigos are stupid; or at least, inapplicable to many locations.
StageKat
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »

Well let's see... at my own studio for a social party... I get asked the fair amount of times most nights...(sometimes it's a complete bust) At my studio we have two groups of social dancers ..those that dance with anyone...and those couples that only dance with each other. Those couples are pretty much left alone and are only split up if one of their instructors asks them to dance. On the odd occasion because I am in the safety of my home studio I may ask a wife "Can I borrow your husband for this dance?" but it's pretty rare. 

Out dancing socially in a club or something.... well that's a whole other ball game... I'm a complete social leper when it comes to guys I don't know asking me to dance...unless I bring a lead or two in with the group I'm going out with I'll hang around the edge of the dance floor all night without one invitation.   I'm not quite at the point yet (I'm almost there I can feel it) where I'll ask the guy for a dance. Once that happens... look out!  Grin

Ballroom Dancing Changed My Life... It's as Simple as That.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 09:17:10 AM »

its interesting how different the Australian dancing "social" scene is to the rest of the world, from what i have experienced, anyone asks anyone, if they dont know, then you teach them. There are only a slight few who say that they will only dance if the man asks them, but they are far and few between

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »

Personally I'm a lkittle shy of asking a man I don't know, but that could be because they are all a lot older than me. If I go out social dancing I usually stick to my partner or, if he doesn't want ti dance a particular one, I ask one of the other young men.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »

its interesting how different the Australian dancing "social" scene is to the rest of the world, from what i have experienced, anyone asks anyone, if they dont know, then you teach them. There are only a slight few who say that they will only dance if the man asks them, but they are far and few between

Zac

That has been my experience also most of the time. I have been to a few dances thought where the older women (60+) are left sitting there as the older men want to dance with younger women...grrrr

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 12:35:09 AM »

That has been my experience also most of the time. I have been to a few dances thought where the older women (60+) are left sitting there as the older men want to dance with younger women...grrrr

Somewhat in defense of those guys, I will say that sometimes those are women who were shown a few social foxtrot steps 40 years ago, and they haven't had a lesson since.   Roll Eyes  The only thing more frustrating than dancing with a follower who doesn't know how to move or follow is dancing with such a follower who also happens to think she's great because she's been doing the same three foxtrot steps for decades.   Roll Eyes

But yeah, what QPO mentioned does happen.  And no, it is neither fair nor a good idea for a leader who really wants to expand his leading skills.  There are some older women at our studio who are fine dancers, much better than most of the younger ones.  I wouldn't dream of going to the studio on Friday night and not asking them at least once.  I will mention that there also exists the flip side of this -- people who will criticize an older man if he ever asks a younger woman to dance. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »

I can understand that too, the women I am thinking off are their regularly and have kept up-to-date with the dances that are available...I think as we get older we become invisible

So on that basis when I get older I am going to have bright red hair so they cant miss me Shocked

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 01:33:19 AM »

But yeah, what QPO mentioned does happen.  And no, it is neither fair nor a good idea for a leader who really wants to expand his leading skills.  There are some older women at our studio who are fine dancers, much better than most of the younger ones.  I wouldn't dream of going to the studio on Friday night and not asking them at least once.  I will mention that there also exists the flip side of this -- people who will criticize an older man if he ever asks a younger woman to dance. 

Good for you....if everyone did that everyone would get a dance :-) and those that criticize are being judgmental...

Dance Forum
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »

I dance with the older men more than the younger as I find the older men far more considerate.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »

I dance with the older men more than the younger as I find the older men far more considerate.

One of the tragedies of modern society is that young men these days don't get any instruction on gentlemanly manners.  (And the young ladies don't demand it because they don't know about it either.)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »

One of the tragedies of modern society is that young men these days don't get any instruction on gentlemanly manners.  (And the young ladies don't demand it because they don't know about it either.)

let's vote

All in favor of etiquette lessons for both sexes say   Aye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »

let's vote

All in favor of etiquette lessons for both sexes say   Aye!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got both hands up!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: