partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116386 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Traditional Ballroom Dancing circa 1934
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Traditional Ballroom Dancing circa 1934  (Read 1173 times)
pruthe
Bronze

« on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »

Didn't know if anyone else had seen this, but I was looking around YouTube and ran across following video about Ballroom dance in the timeframe of about 1934.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86RkyFDZuY0

Apparently this video was part of a documentary called "Dance Britannia" which was shown on the BBC in 2008. The following is a link that gives an overview of this show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/dance_britannia.shtml

There is another web page that has some information about a dancer named Timothy Palmer, which also gives some background on YouTube clip above.

http://www.sunkris.net/timothy_palmer.htm

Watching the video clip was very interesting. The dancers seemed to be very focussed on technique. A comment was made in video that emphasis is not on having fun, but getting things right. Another comment was made about this new dance from America called Swing. I know DSV had discussed previously one of the schools of thought being Traditional, this being the first school of thought developed. So maybe this video shows some of the technique of that style.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:39 PM »

Great information pruthe. Smiley Thank you for doing the research.

Yes, at one time it was mentioned that the lady should lean back from her waist a sign of the "Traditional School of Thought". They are great examples of the start of ballroom dancing.

Thank you for finding it.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

Dance Britannia is not available on DVD, but you can access it via the Telegraph website, just an easy google search.  I'll view it tonight, I think. 

Thank you so much, pruthe!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »

The Telegraph link is a link to the BBC iPlayer web site. Unfortunately, viewing not available for people outside of UK. I'd really like to see that show, but apparently cannot. Oh well.

Thanks.

pruthe

A.S.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »

The Telegraph link is a link to the BBC iPlayer web site. Unfortunately, viewing not available for people outside of UK. I'd really like to see that show, but apparently cannot. Oh well.

Thanks.

pruthe

I will see what I can do when I am in Blackpool. I am sure I can find somebody that can help me get access.

Edward Teller
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »

I will see what I can do when I am in Blackpool. I am sure I can find somebody that can help me get access.

DSV,

Hopefully, you can get access to view. Maybe can learn more about Traditional SoT.

Thanks.

pruthe

A.S.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

that would be awesome, DSV!  I wonder if any of our UK members could help out, too?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »

I have a DVD of Richard Porter presenting "Dancing Through the Decades" at Blackpool in 2007 and its a hoot.  We had a good laugh at the outfits and the dancing of the day.  Of course some day they will be laughing at our era.  He did a great job as did the dancers involved.  I can see how it is much more athletic now then back then, expecially latin.  I can also understand why men, well , um, were made fun of if they danced, again, especially in the latin. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 12:01:09 AM »

That was so fascinating to watch I really enjoyed and will now see if I can find more.  The psition  and hold have really changed as well as dress styling. Footwork looks different as does the size of the steps.

It shows how much it has evolved...which is should

Thanks for starting the thread

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »

i love the history of ballroom dancing!  I feel that when I know the history, it makes it easier to understand hw we got to where we are.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »

i love the history of ballroom dancing!  I feel that when I know the history, it makes it easier to understand hw we got to where we are.

You sound exactly like my main teacher. He always said that, if you were to know where you were going, you should understand where you came from. His passion for history got me to start looking into the history. his passion became my passion so now I also love the history of dance. I also found that knowing the history help my dancing in a big way.

Edward Teller
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »

That is exactly how I feel.
How can we understand the present if we ignore the past?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 11:59:41 PM »

As with everything in life and it explains alot of what we do now...I love it...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »

Awesome find with the video, pruthe.  Thanks!   There's now a History of Bathroom Dance FB page that has some fascinating photos. Mostly still photos.But still.  It's interesting to see how far ballroom dance has evolved.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: