partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116403 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Should your dance partner also be your life partner?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Should your dance partner also be your life partner?  (Read 5579 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »

Do you have the same problem as here - not enough leads?

oh I think this will be universal, I have no Idea why men wont dance...I am on a recruiting drive...even trying to get my father on the floor.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2009, 05:16:38 AM »

It's not 'manly' to dance. Who knows why they think that.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »

If only they would realize that women love men that can dance......

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2009, 06:57:13 AM »

Its the mars/venus thing.  We assume that men want to get together with women.  Well they do but they want the physical closeness/interaction but not really the romantic one.  Dance is definitely romance first, physical very much second. 

Now if you suggested that we take up, say, jello wresting together every man you knew would be jumping in....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »

Its the mars/venus thing.  We assume that men want to get together with women.  Well they do but they want the physical closeness/interaction but not really the romantic one.  Dance is definitely romance first, physical very much second. 

Now if you suggested that we take up, say, jello wresting together every man you knew would be jumping in....

I prefer dancing over jello wrestling!  Wink
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2009, 07:35:23 AM »

I believe that you are in the minority.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »

I believe that you are in the minority.

But you believe me! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:14 AM »

yes, indeed - you've gone beyond the general male limited vision on this one Wink

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »

Sometimes I wonder if that's a good thing or bad thing....maybe life (read love) would be easier if I'm just a typical male like everyone else out there? But what type of person would it make me if I just go for the easy option every time...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »

We make our choices - you can be typical and have a typical life or you can be different.....
I think you know which box I fit (or rather don't fit) in...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »

It's cool to be "different"...maybe my future other half is "different" herself.  Roll Eyes
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2009, 09:30:07 PM »

I hear you SW.  I questioned that many a time: wondering why I can't just be a regular guy... until I ended up with a wife who's one in 6-billion.  In other words, you're right: stay different, and you'll attract someone truly unique and special.  

I myself have had quite a bit of success getting guys to take up dancing, and I find that it's not really that dancing doesn't appeal to them: most of them are just really really afraid of making a complete fool of themselves in front of hot girls.  Most of their egos can't handle it.  In their eyes, ballroom dancing "chicks" are way "hotter" than the average "chick" (I deal with late 20s to early 30s men, so forgive the lingo).  I've spoken to a few of them about it and what terrifies them even more is that women who dance are on a completely higher level of "hotness" because they are intelligent, driven, and have above average social etiquette!  These are not my words, these are their words.  The guys I talk to are not lacking in social skills themselves, but they perceive ballroom dancing women to be "prim and proper" (their words again) which in their minds means requiring additional sprucing up and etiquette training in order to approach.

When I show them a few Youtube videos they're usually hooked on the prospect of dancing.  However, getting them to come into a studio and try it is a totally different thing.  I think it's so far out of their comfort zone that it terrifies them.  They think I'm the bravest guy on the planet!

One of the interesting factors I've noticed is that there is very little group male "support".  The interest to dance is not the kind of thing that men will admit to in a group setting with other men around.  That's not the interesting bit.  The interesting bit is that the trick is to get a whole bunch of males into a dance studio is to get them all interested individually, and then get them to all come to a dance class together.  That way they have their "wingmen" and whatnot in the event that they crash and burn.  I've had some success in this area, but the crucial trick is to get the men interested in dance individually (and they all usually are).  Propose the idea to them in a group setting with other friends and they'll deny being interested in it, no matter how much they really want to do it.  Individually, they're quite ready to leave their egos and make a completely fool of themselves.  

The other method I've had success is by getting them to meet some of the girls in a social setting.  Sure, they're afraid of the girls because their "ballroom dancers", but the girls do a terrific job of saying, "hey, you should come to class and I'll be only too glad to dance with you!". 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:53:08 PM by Some guy » Logged
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »

My he-FF is always saying "Girls want to be loved, Guys want to be needed", and that while we're paying attention to nuance in speech and choice of words in conversation to dissect later for every possible meaning of "That looks nice on you", he's staring into space thinking "duh?".

Which leads me to the question- is he awfully stuck on himself to be "duh?"-ing while life goes on around him, and expecting a color-coded recap that's cut into easily-understandable pieces for him later on, or is he actually "sweet, pretty, not too bright?"
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2009, 04:16:26 AM »

For this he-FF, Ging, gonna go with "sweet, pretty, not too bright," ROTFLMAO. Cheesy
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »

Which leads me to the question- is he awfully stuck on himself to be "duh?"-ing while life goes on around him, and expecting a color-coded recap that's cut into easily-understandable pieces for him later on, or is he actually "sweet, pretty, not too bright?"

He knows that a smart man listens more than he talks.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: