partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116499 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Should your dance partner also be your life partner?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Should your dance partner also be your life partner?  (Read 5886 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 07:02:29 AM »

Well she is doing all the hard work for you :-)

At the start, my dance partner calls me "nerd" ...sometime down the track it became "buddy"....now it's "cousin". I think the "cousin" thing is widely accepted in her family too. LoL

I think she's finding me a girlfriend. Bahahaha

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 08:53:33 AM »

My dance partner was a dance partner for about a year, and recently he's become a boyfriend. I'm a little young for thinking about life partners, but I want to dance with him for a very long time. He's always there to listen when I want to talk, and he's my best friend.

you are one very lucky lady... are you also the same age?

He's 6 months older than me, but that's pretty much the same age.
I am lucky...he also has the same moral values (unlike most other 16 year old guys...)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »

a boyfriend, a friend and a dance partner all in one go... it doesn't get any better Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »

a boyfriend, a friend and a dance partner all in one go... it doesn't get any better Smiley

Yeah, that's what I think as well.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »

I've heard a few top pros say that being dance partners was a good trial for them for being life partners because if you can survive dancing together you can survive anything.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 04:59:31 PM »

I used to be of the impression that dance partnerships will not work out unless you meet on the dance floor for that purpose alone.  Then I had a friend, a beautiful girl, who talked me into a dance partnership.  I resisted heavily at first because I didn't want to gamble our friendship on our dance partnership.

Now she's my wife, and I can't imagine being married to any other.  I guess nothing ventured nothing gained!

Initially it was very difficult to separate the two relationships, the one on the floor and the one off the floor.  It required each other to let go of our egos and learn and grow much more than we ever initially anticipated.  Now it's clear to both of us that out of our two relationships, the dance partnership is much more difficult than marriage.  Cheesy 

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »

Hi Some Guy .... nice to see you here!!

Wow ego is definitely a theme that is coming up more and more. Thanks for such insight!

I used to be of the impression that dance partnerships will not work out unless you meet on the dance floor for that purpose alone.  Then I had a friend, a beautiful girl, who talked me into a dance partnership.  I resisted heavily at first because I didn't want to gamble our friendship on our dance partnership.

Now she's my wife, and I can't imagine being married to any other.  I guess nothing ventured nothing gained!

Initially it was very difficult to separate the two relationships, the one on the floor and the one off the floor.  It required each other to let go of our egos and learn and grow much more than we ever initially anticipated.  Now it's clear to both of us that out of our two relationships, the dance partnership is much more difficult than marriage.  Cheesy 

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »

Hey Some Guy,

Good to see you here. It was a real pleasure to meet both of you last week in Baltimore. You are a beautiful couple Wink

.....and you didn't see me running down the hallway did you.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »

No, you didn't (thank God!).  Sorry, I was a little star-struck when I met you.  Next time I hope to utter a few more coherent sentences.    Cheesy

emeralddancer, it was wonderful to finally meet you!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

No, you didn't (thank God!).  Sorry, I was a little star-struck when I met you.  Next time I hope to utter a few more coherent sentences.    Cheesy

I must have been in a dose, I didn't see any stars around us.  Shocked Smiley  Are you telling your are going to talk my ears of next time.  Wink

Kidding aside it was a pleasure meeting and I look forward to meeting you both again some time.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:58 PM »

So tell me true, how do you not fall for someone who is beautiful, who is graceful, who dances with you and whom you spend many intense hours together with?
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:35 PM »

My partner is my life partner in all ways but the... physical.

We spend every day together other than when we're working, when we travel for comps we go sightseeing together, if either of us needs a day off we still find ourselves texting back and forth. We have pet names for one another...

I want the partnership to take that last step, of course, but I'm absolutely convinced that one day I will be asking her to marry me. Whether that spells the end of the partnership, I don't know, but it's worth the risk.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »

So tell me true, how do you not fall for someone who is beautiful, who is graceful, who dances with you and whom you spend many intense hours together with?

There, as they say, is the rub.  the fact is that we are still just pawns in game of the gods, as the ancient greeks thought - if you are going to fall in love you will, whether your common sense tells you otherwise or not.  thus, this discussion is really moot - but its also fun (as in the game of the gods Smiley)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »

Become their cousin! I did! LOL
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »

Become their cousin! I did! LOL

I still got $50 on you actually being in the same situation as me, Waltzy ;-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: