partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 10:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Should your dance partner also be your life partner?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Should your dance partner also be your life partner?  (Read 5335 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 12, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »

some are married - and stay together or divorce, some swear by not being married and stay together, separate (or get married). 

Is it best to keep dance and life separate?  Or is it best to have both in one package....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »

some are married - and stay together or divorce, some swear by not being married and stay together, separate (or get married). 

Is it best to keep dance and life separate?  Or is it best to have both in one package....

I can tell you this, that if I had been married to my partner, I am not sure who of us would be alive today Wink Grin.

We found that it worked best for us if we had/have separate lives and only meet up when dancing. I have seen it work all kinds of ways. Hopefully every couple finds the way that works best for them. It might take some time to work it all out. For my partner and me, it was a business decision to start dancing together. We talked a lot before starting dancing together, about what we were expecting from the partnership. Over time we developed a friendship that could be considered family (brother/sister), I would say.

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »

Its definitely the same with DP - to be honest I treasure the dance partnership too much to run the danger of a life one!  I mean how many dance partnerships carried on when the life- one failed?  I still think that finding a dance partner is harder than finding a life one....

Actually I wonder if anyone pulled that off effectively.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »

Well my DP is my life partner and currently I would not want it any other way, we are growing together on the dance floor and I would think that it is sad to have to come home to someone else and be excited about the DP and they just are not interested.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

See, I think you have the perfect arrangement - as long as your dance goals stay the same.  In several relationships I've seem them diverge and it causes a strain both for dancing and the relationship.  OTOH if it works I think you have a piece of heaven!

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »

It completely depends on the people involved.  I know quite a few couples who dance competitively, but with other partners that aren't their SO.  The main reason they don't dance together is a difference in level, but I'm sure that a secondary reason for at least some of them is that they don't want to chance a strain in their non-dance relationship that could arise if they were competitive partners as well.  Some people can handle it, while others can't.  It's all about your personality.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:32:03 PM »

At the start, my dance partner calls me "nerd" ...sometime down the track it became "buddy"....now it's "cousin". I think the "cousin" thing is widely accepted in her family too. LoL

I think she's finding me a girlfriend. Bahahaha
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 01:56:41 AM »

At the start, my dance partner calls me "nerd" ...sometime down the track it became "buddy"....now it's "cousin". I think the "cousin" thing is widely accepted in her family too. LoL

I think she's finding me a girlfriend. Bahahaha

Sounds like it could continue on like this Wink ...."brother",....."boyfriend"...."husband".

Hey, maybe you are lucky enough to have her find you a girlfriend. You will then have both a dance partner and a girlfriend. How lucky can one man be Wink

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:17:13 AM »

I know....she talked me into the partnership, and I'm glad I gave in.  Grin
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 02:26:40 AM »

I know....she talked me into the partnership, and I'm glad I gave in.  Grin

Well, sounds to me like you are on your way to something bigger Wink

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 05:20:44 AM »

My dance partner was a dance partner for about a year, and recently he's become a boyfriend. I'm a little young for thinking about life partners, but I want to dance with him for a very long time. He's always there to listen when I want to talk, and he's my best friend.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:26:17 AM »

My dance partner was a dance partner for about a year, and recently he's become a boyfriend. I'm a little young for thinking about life partners, but I want to dance with him for a very long time. He's always there to listen when I want to talk, and he's my best friend.

Awwww cute =)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 05:46:55 AM »

you are one very lucky lady... are you also the same age?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:58:03 AM »

thats true, I have seen it change for people along the way..but at the moment it is the same so er are very lucky

See, I think you have the perfect arrangement - as long as your dance goals stay the same.  In several relationships I've seem them diverge and it causes a strain both for dancing and the relationship.  OTOH if it works I think you have a piece of heaven!

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 07:01:01 AM »

I have a girlfriend in dancing, her husband wont dance at all, she dances with a work college.  But it has its constraints, she has lessons three times a week and dances socially three Saturdays of the month. Her husband is such a lovely man but will not go near the dance floor and she cant stay away :-|

In my ideal world (if I could dream it) would to have my dance partner be my life partner. While my husband has supported (no longer does, but does not fight it) he does not like to dance least of all with me. We are oil and water and it was never fun. If something were to happen, I would look to a dancer the next go around. LOL

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: