partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 08:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Commercialization of dancesport
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Commercialization of dancesport  (Read 1897 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: May 04, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »

This started with a discussion on the judging thread, about how a full-time judging cadre (in other words, judges who do nothing else) might be paid for.  The suggestion was sponsorship, of which there is currently a bare minimum in dancesport compared to a lot of other sports.  There are some dress sponsors, and some events have a "presenting sponsor" which gets mentions in the program and maybe a banner in the ballroom, but that's about it. 

If dancesport were to get serious about sponsorship, what would the implications be and how would the participants and audience take it?  Consider a couple that is sponsored, and by that I mean having all of their expenses paid for.  For starters, what would that couple be expected to do for the sponsorship?  Ads featuring the couple and the sponsor in the program would be one possibility, but that's a small audience.  Perhaps the couple would do promotional appearances for the sponsor.  But what about bringing the sponsorship onto the dance floor?  Would/should they wear patches on their costumes with the sponsor's insignia?  Should they mention the sponsor in interviews?  And what happens to the sponsorship if the couple breaks up? 

And as for event sponsorship, how far should that be taken?  Banners around the ballroom floor, a la hockey and figure skating?  The sponsor's logo painted on the floor?  Sponsor mentions from the podium?  Could whole events be named after sponsors, say, the Shell Dance Championship?  Or a whole series, say, the Mastercard USA Dance Championship? 

And how does sponsor money get divvied up?  Does the sanctioning body get a cut, either directly, or indirectly through increased sanctioning fees?  What about sponsors for amateurs?  Does that wreck the definition of amateurism?  Should the sanctioning body confiscate amateurs' sponsor money and dole it out on an as-needed basis?  (And if they do, what is the motivation for amateurs to go seek sponsors?)

I'm not yet going to state a position on any of this.  I want to hear what people think.  In composing your response, don't just reply reflexively -- consider the tradeoffs of possibly greatly increased revenue to dancesport vs. the inevitable tradeoffs and compromises that would have to be made, and who would derive the most benefit.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »

I've only been a few comps, but I have seen men, at least, with small patches on their shirts or jackets which state who their sponsor is.  Many shoe companies and/or dress companies will put on their websites which couples they sponsor, as well. 

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »

yes - but I think C is thinking coca-cola and general motors.... er, check that, toyota.... nope  well, Big Successful Car Company

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 06:26:16 PM »

At a competition I've been to, one of the scholarships was sponsored by a local business, so a representative from it was giving out the awards together with the organizers.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »

yes - but I think C is thinking coca-cola and general motors.... er, check that, toyota.... nope  well, Big Successful Car Company

Pioneer Stereo Systems used to sponsor couples from Japan. Bang and Olufsen, Junker Floors and Carlsberg (beer) Sports Drinks used to sponsor couples and they are big companies in Europe. I also know SAS Scandinavian airlines used to sponsor a couple from Denmark. I am sure there are more then these few but those are just the once that I can think of right now.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »

I think it comes to more than sponsoring one couple---but an entire event. Eddie Ares and Nancy Senner do this at Hotlanta in October.

I believe it may evolve by having companies sponsor at local events.
One of the issues that companies like Rolex, Coca-Cola, Nike and others have is tht this is such a subjective sport. Or is it a sport? An art?
When someone is playing golf, the number of strokes to get it in the hole is concrete--At a horse event, it is the time to the finish line (concrete)--same with track and field, downhill racing etc.

It is the subjectivity that makes it so hard to be impartial.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »

I think it comes to more than sponsoring one couple---but an entire event. Eddie Ares and Nancy Senner do this at Hotlanta in October.

David Hamilton did this at Nashville StarZ in January as well--I forget exactly which division it was, but some breast cancer charity (it might have been Susan G. Komen, I can't remember) sponsored one of the multidance events, and 2 representatives were on-hand to present the awards for that division.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »

When a competition is sponsored by some organization/company, they usually announce it before the start of the evening program.
Sometimes individual events can be sponsored by an organization/company, and that will be announced by the end of the event.

Some of the top amateur dancers here get sponsorship from dancewear companies, they usually wear the name of the company on the men's tailsuit pocket (just under the hankie) or sleeve. Or alternatively, the name of their sponsors is listed in the program book. But that's only for the top amateur dancers.

For me? I get sponsorship from the University Dancesport club. They pay for my competition entry fee and some travelling expenses. I don't have to display anything at the competition. But as return, I teach 1hr a week at Uni for free and I try to attend any showcase events they invite me to. 
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »

If you watch IDSF comp video taken place in Japan, you can see company logo around the floor such as Rolex, Coco Cola, Nike, so you know these company are sponsors.

We have our wonderful dress sponsor, European dress designer Marabo, I wear their dress and DP has to wear their company logo on tailsuit pocket, not sleeve; They have very beautiful dresses which are also light and so comfortable. We have the responsibility to promote their image in USA.

Certain USA comps invites highly ranked top oversea amateur couples for their comps to make the comp for International, examples are Embassy, International Grand Ball, California Open, so when you check results from Dancesport info, displays couples from multiple countries, not only USA. They believe this way helps attendance and reputation of the comps in the future.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »

In addition to the normal sponsors (park west, Dore, etc) St Louis had Scottrade as an overall competition sponsor.  Seemed to work out well for them. 

Like standarddancer mentions Bonnie's Belle Gowns sponsors two pro couples.  They represent the company at comps around the country, etc.  In addition to their competition costumes, also provide their costumes for their proam stuff too.  At least, for the three of them still teaching.  One manages studio now.  The men's costumes have the logo somewhere (depends on design of particular costume.  Sleeve on a latin shirt, waistband on pants, varies).
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 06:36:40 AM »

Certain USA comps invites highly ranked top oversea amateur couples for their comps to make the comp for International, examples are Embassy, International Grand Ball, California Open, so when you check results from Dancesport info, displays couples from multiple countries, not only USA. They believe this way helps attendance and reputation of the comps in the future.

I find this interesting and its rarely discussed.  What do you mean by 'invite'?  Does this mean the couple gets their trip/hotel etc paid?  Can they also get a 'stipend' (extra money)?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »

I find this interesting and its rarely discussed.  What do you mean by 'invite'?  Does this mean the couple gets their trip/hotel etc paid?  Can they also get a 'stipend' (extra money)?

When I/we competed we were often paid to appear at competitions. The organizer would contact us and give us an offer. If the offer was of benefit to us, then we would go. The offer always included airfare/hotel/transportation/entry fees and meals. There was often also "appearance money" included. This is quite normal for both amateur and professional finalists, maybe even semifinalists’ level. We actually only took care of 5 competitions ourselves every year the rest were paid for by the organizers. I actually think this is even more normal today then it was back in my time of competing.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

I'd love to see some of friends/people I cheer for get that.  I know it can be hard for them to compete as much as they want/need at times.  BOth the cost of competing, and the time they have to spend away from studio and their students.  This would at least help with the first half of the problem.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »

For Atlantic Dancesport Championships that Polina and Igor put on I had my company sponsor the 10 Dance event (1st thru 3rd place winners), Had the ad in the program (free for anyone sponsoring an event), free to enter the competition, the owner or representatives from the company presented the awards (for that particular event), had pics taken with the winner, and name of company announced. ALSO because my company was one of the largest sponsors this past year, my company next year gets first pick of which event sponsoring and whatnot.

I have also seen some companies that sponsor with patches not only on the men but the women's dresses too.

Sponsorship is not a bad thing ... there can be levels and tiers of sponsorship in dancesport as it is in any other sport.

sponsoring of couple
sponsoring of competition
sponsoring of events (multi dance)
etc ...

BUT if companies sponsoring there has to be some type of give and take on both sides and that they both benefit from the sponsorship. HOW this would be accomplished would be solely dependent upon the parties involved and what they would agree too.

worth looking into more. HM ........

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »

OK, all you millionaires out there, who's going to sponsor PDO mmmm...

do you think you can afford us Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: