partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Bolero
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Bolero  (Read 5000 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

One day I am going to learn bolero again.... loved it when I did it many years ago

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »

It's one of my favorites.  A lot of the best bits of standard/smooth and Latin combined. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »

thats right - maybe not all but a lot of them - and romantic too

dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 11:42:07 PM »

I compete in American Pro-Am and I must say that I will probably never feel like an accomplished dancer until the day I can dance the bolero well... or better than I do now.  There's no hiding bad or weak technique on such a slow rhythm dance ...

I stick with it because it is so beautiful and romantic and I really love it. 

When danced well ... rarely, as many of you have said ... but, a sight to see ...

If you aren't on your way out to dance then you are going the wrong way...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »

I'm beginning to realize that the exact amount of movement in bolero is critical.  Too little, and it's stilted.  Too much, and you create balance and connection problems.  I've been out-stepping a lot of my partners, which results in them being pulled towards me as I take my back rock. 

You also have to control rise and fall.  There is some foot rise, but not much, and you can't carry the rise into the rocks.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 03:55:44 AM »

I'm beginning to realize that the exact amount of movement in bolero is critical.  Too little, and it's stilted.  Too much, and you create balance and connection problems.  I've been out-stepping a lot of my partners, which results in them being pulled towards me as I take my back rock. 

You also have to control rise and fall.  There is some foot rise, but not much, and you can't carry the rise into the rocks.

The answer to your dilemma is to avoid the common error of rocking in the bolero. Replace the rocks w/ whisks. This will solve all of your issues; pulling of either partner off balance, outstepping the movement created by the whishks (this can not be controlled so easily when coming from a rock...explain later, if you like), and, most importantly, controlling rise/lower.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 02:03:42 AM »

Bolero= E.V.I.L.

.... yes, yes it does.

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:42 AM »

The Smooth girl doesn't like bolero?  Interesting...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »

Smiley

NZ_Guy
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »

I went along to an American Rhythm introductory workshop by Marcus Johnson and Yuki Haraguchi last weekend.  I didn't much care for any of them with the exception of the bolero which I quite liked.  It's not danced here though so I'm unlikely to try it again.

-T.

Hanging out on the friendlier dance forum.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »

Thats interesting - I always loved he bolero too (I danced american style social dancing about 20 years ago!).  But the rhumba is also interesting I think.  The other rhythms I'd rather do international.

Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 01:07:58 PM »

Now learning how to do Bolero with my girlfriend, taking a class together and LOVING it! Not sure why but the basic step was a bit elusive for me at first but started to come together. My own natural tendency is to rush the long slow step but learning to gear down. During some practice time afterwards, the lass material started to flow together for us and we were even experimenting a bit adding other things from our Rumba in, boy was that fun!!!

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »

I used to love the bolero, the big sweeping actions, but haven't done rhythm in over 15 years ...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »

I compete in American Pro-Am and I must say that I will probably never feel like an accomplished dancer until the day I can dance the bolero well... or better than I do now.  There's no hiding bad or weak technique on such a slow rhythm dance ...

I stick with it because it is so beautiful and romantic and I really love it. 

When danced well ... rarely, as many of you have said ... but, a sight to see ...

It takes enormous amounts of strength, flexibility and control,IMO. No wonder it's rare to see it done well. IIRC, in the American Rhythm syllabus, it's not even introduced until silver. (Is that right?)

Not an easy dance.

I remember once a lady at my studio had only one goal -- - to dance bolero, even though that was her very first exposure to ballroom dance.  Watching her do it was terribly painful, because she hadn't yet developed the ability to control and lengthen her stride to fill all the music. It was ugly. Bolero is not for the faint of heart.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »

Its the one american style dance that I loved - I did it many years ago, particularly the long swoops...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: