partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:09:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Bolero
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Bolero  (Read 4465 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: May 04, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »

The Cuban dance that somehow didn't make it into the International syllabus, and instead became the romantic secret weapon of American style.  To me, bolero is the most sensuous partner dance. 
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »

That's definately on my list of dances to learn this year.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »

On tuesday I'm going for my gold medal in Bolero.  A friend lost his partner and since I still keep up my American I said I would do it with him.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »

On tuesday I'm going for my gold medal in Bolero.  A friend lost his partner and since I still keep up my American I said I would do it with him.

What syllabus are you using?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »

This is one dance that id not done here even socially, not sure why that is....Paso Doble is the closet we have and the one they do is ....well put you to sleep.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »

hard to imagine how PD can put you to sleep at least the way its done here.  There must be quite a contrast.
Actually thats pretty funny if you remember the theme of the now classic movie, Strictly Ballroom!  Didn't anyone there watch it?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »

hard to imagine how PD can put you to sleep at least the way its done here.  There must be quite a contrast.
Actually thats pretty funny if you remember the theme of the now classic movie, Strictly Ballroom!  Didn't anyone there watch it?

I love that movie....have you ever seen the making of the movie...it is at the end of the DVD, they interview real people who they based on the characters of the movie.
There was a lady who really wore those lycra legins and leotard....very funny

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »

The paso doble  we do is called a paso madrid..it is a NV dance if I can find a clip I will post it but it is done pretty ordinary. I am sure it can be dressed up a bit...Free style paso is not done at all.

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

Waltz and Rhumba---this is bolero. It can be playful, challenging or sensual.  You pick!
malakawa
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

Waltz and Rhumba---this is bolero. It can be playful, challenging or sensual.  You pick!

it is RUMBA. without H.  Wink

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »

it is RUMBA. without H.  Wink

I always spell it that way but have seen it the other way so many times, I was not sure myself in the end.

Dance Forum
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »

I had also seen Rumba with or without h (more often without) and wondered why it was spelled both ways. I looked up in a dictionary and it said rhumba is an alternative spelling for rumba. But then I did a little Googling and found this web page that describes the history of r(h)umba and its spelling.

http://www.dancetherapystudios.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=46

Hopefully this information is accurate.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:14:28 PM by pruthe » Logged

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »

What syllabus are you using?

We are using the DIVIDA one.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »

Cool!  What syllabus level does "gold medal" correspond to?  Does that mean you're dancing it at gold?  I'm just now getting all of the bronze syllabus nailed down.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 01:53:43 AM »

Cool!  What syllabus level does "gold medal" correspond to?  Does that mean you're dancing it at gold?  I'm just now getting all of the bronze syllabus nailed down.

Yes, we danced it at gold.  We got a highly commended.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: