partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116409 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Jive
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Jive  (Read 6226 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 04:28:41 AM »

Now, if we could please get this thread back on topic, about how jive as an element of International Latin is danced.  In fact, I'll even pose a question for TD based on an earlier post of his--if jive is being danced too "heavy" and down into the floor, how does one create the light, "up" look? 

Thanks, MC. It is most difficult. By heavy and down, I mean dancing/stepping by placing the feet to the floor... taking the step, as it were. To acheive the up action/look, one must dance by lifting the foot from the floor. Of course, a step will still be made, but the action will be completely different as the accent, or impulse, will be one of lifting rather than one of stepping.

Unfortunately, it seems as difficult to write as it is to do (much, much simpler when teaching/showing).  Huh I hope this helps. I will still, sometime today, try to find an apropos vid for you guys.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »

To repeat (again) East Coast Swing is NOT considered a Swing Dance by Swing Dancers in the USA or anywhere else.

It is a Ballroom Dance in the sense that International Tango and International Latin are considered something sepreate and unrelated to Argentine Tango and Salsa.

ECS is a Ballroom Dance, specially designed and created for Ballroom students by the Arthur Murray dance studio's in the 1940's. It has been specifically designed so remove 'Swing' (improvisation and syncopation) that is integral to Swing dance.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »

OK. NO MORE DISCUSSION OF HISTORY IN THIS TOPIC!!!
I made a board just for it in the General area and if no one here objects I intend to copy all the relevant posts from here (when I have a moment) so that we can, as MC requested, get BOT.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumvKIyL8uk (ok, not a teaching video & I happen to also like it  Wink)

Does this show the 'up' action that is being talked about?

Also found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJBYwrZxaw (but presume this is the heavier look??)

Am having my jive technique modified which is proving to be harder than I thought after 2 years of a different technique.... - I think the aim is up!!

Dance like you're going to fall over
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

Or this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxsf4oeLkgg&feature=rec-fresh+div-f-6-HM

Sorry, suddenly just started finding lots of interesting videos.  I like how Bryan says it is so simple - if only!!

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:03 PM »

OK. NO MORE DISCUSSION OF HISTORY IN THIS TOPIC!!!
I made a board just for it in the General area and if no one here objects I intend to copy all the relevant posts from here (when I have a moment) so that we can, as MC requested, get BOT.

Might I also suggest that this thread be off-limits for nomenclature/semantics arguments?  We're in one of the ballroom forums--if you want to discuss the different forms of swing and/or their street/club versions, feel free to do that in the actual Swing forum.  But here, we refer to the swing-based dances as they are referred to in the competitive ballroom world.  Period.

Thanks, MC. It is most difficult. By heavy and down, I mean dancing/stepping by placing the feet to the floor... taking the step, as it were. To acheive the up action/look, one must dance by lifting the foot from the floor. Of course, a step will still be made, but the action will be completely different as the accent, or impulse, will be one of lifting rather than one of stepping.

Unfortunately, it seems as difficult to write as it is to do (much, much simpler when teaching/showing).  Huh I hope this helps. I will still, sometime today, try to find an apropos vid for you guys.

I'm almost positive I know what you're talking about, TD.  And fear not, LOL--I at least have always been taught that the accent in jive is on the "up" and not the "down!"
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »

I'm almost positive I know what you're talking about, TD.  And fear not, LOL--I at least have always been taught that the accent in jive is on the "up" and not the "down!"

Bravo! I know that I'm not the only one who knows this.   Wink

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 02:15:54 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FumvKIyL8uk (ok, not a teaching video & I happen to also like it  Wink)

Also found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tJBYwrZxaw (but presume this is the heavier look??)

The first vid shows it nicely (in the limited bit of basics that they dance). The second is ok, too. Not as good, but one can tell that the intent is there. Re the vid of your other post, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxsf4oeLkgg&feature=rec-fresh+div-f-6-HM, I do not like this one. Bryan is well respected, of course, but in this vid he is concentrating on timings and body swing (points of technique), and, IMO, leaving the action of the dance wanting. This is a grave error, b/c the tech of swing is probably of the most acceptably lacking in BR. The dance is defined by its action and character.

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »

Awesome video. . . . .

It assumes that all music is six beat in structure and that there will be no syncopations.

Sorry Bryan, but most music has a 32 beat phrasing pattern based on beat 8 elements.

If you dance nothing but six beat you will ALWAYS be out of time with the musical rhtythm.

This will of course win competitions in Ballroom latin - but have the Swing community fall about laughing.

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »

The first vid shows it nicely (in the limited bit of basics that they dance). The second is ok, too. Not as good, but one can tell that the intent is there. Re the vid of your other post, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxsf4oeLkgg&feature=rec-fresh+div-f-6-HM, I do not like this one. Bryan is well respected, of course, but in this vid he is concentrating on timings and body swing (points of technique), and, IMO, leaving the action of the dance wanting. This is a grave error, b/c the tech of swing is probably of the most acceptably lacking in BR. The dance is defined by its action and character.

Thanks - I think I know what you mean now, and seems to be what I am taught, definately up action, not aiming down!

ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »

So is this an accurate description then? The swing of the hips is similar to the arc of a parabola, after the link rock the right hip should be pushed out while the left leg first returns under the body and then moves to position directly under the left shoulder on the inside of the foot, this creates a large push out of the right hip. As you place weight onto the left leg the the pelvis returns to a neutral position and the right leg moves under the body (ie. the skip). Weight is placed onto the right leg while a small step is taken with the left finishing the parabolic arc with the left hip pushing out. Then the reverse is repeated in the opposite way. Weight is kept well forward throughout. Is that correct?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »

IMO, almost 100% correct. 2 points.....

1- swing/jive are not push action dances, they are pull action dances. Replace in your post, the words 'push' with 'pull' (from the inside edges of the feet).

2- #1 will help to better define the 'skip' which is more the result of the lift from the pulling actions, rather than the stepping under.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: