partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Jive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Jive  (Read 6697 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: May 04, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »

During WWII, an American dance merged with British pop music, and the jive was their offspring.  A fun, fast dance. 
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

Jive's not my thing. Too bouncy. Love ECS and WCS!!!

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »

We have a whole separate area under Partner Dances for the swing dances.  And it could use some traffic, hint, hint.   Wink  I only put jive in here because it's part of the international syllabus
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »

Not my favorite dance.  Well it used to be then others took over the top spot. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:52 PM »

me too have not got into jive really..perhaps I just dont feel it like the others. we do it every six weeks ina group class will see how it goes next time

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:43:31 AM »

Again going back over some of these topics this is not discussed either...we have become a very social lot (nothing wrong with that BTW) but no technician discussion on Jive, very interesting.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:11:07 AM »

I believe Jive to be one of the dances that needs much tech discussion. This will probably insult someone, but I believe the problem to be a compound one of Russian-Euro dancers and dancesport.

Now, I am bi- european/american; have many euro friends; and, learned in both countries, so i believe to have a fairly decent insight re this. Euros know nothing about jive other than what they have learned from books and watching because jive is a euro name for jitterbug... an american dance. The advent of DS, coupled with the breakup of the Soviet Union (allowing many dancers to come to the US more freely), the jive all of a sudden morhed into the big knees, stomping dance that is so prevalent today. I am all for growth of a dance, but this is just plain bad tech, IMO, allowed by DS to be introduced by the Russians and Euros who didn't understand how to properly get the 'up' action of jive.

Worse, now, we see this same misconception being danced in swing (again, IMO, because no one properly trained the russians/euros who have made the US home, and begun to dance the american), and BR in general, and DS in particular has allowed it. Not knowing anything about american dancing or amer swing, these dancers simply dance swing as a slower jive. It is not. Swing tech is almost completely deifferent from jitterbug/jive tech.

Sorry, if I ticked off someone. It is truly not my intention. My comments are strictly based on what I ahve known as a euro/american, and what I have seen as a dancer/competitor/adjudicator in the past 10 years or so.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »

Worse, now, we see this same misconception being danced in swing (again, IMO, because no one properly trained the russians/euros who have made the US home, and begun to dance the american), and BR in general, and DS in particular has allowed it. Not knowing anything about american dancing or amer swing, these dancers simply dance swing as a slower jive. It is not. Swing tech is almost completely deifferent from jitterbug/jive tech.

Well, a big part of the problem with swing is that comp DJs have gotten away from the original tempo and have been playing it so fast that the competitors have no choice but to dance it with jive technique, because to do it with real swing technique would be impossible at those speeds.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »

Well, a big part of the problem with swing is that comp DJs have gotten away from the original tempo and have been playing it so fast that the competitors have no choice but to dance it with jive technique, because to do it with real swing technique would be impossible at those speeds.

Cheesy  I agree, albeit, that this might be a case of which came first, the chicken or the egg? While adjudicating, I was speaking with a DJ at a comp once about this very thing. He said that he had to play quicker swings because the more jivey style that the dancers were dancing looked silly to the slower music.    Shocked  Figures.   Roll Eyes

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »

Ha!  Could be.  Obviously the more jive-y technique is a function of the faster music, but is the faster music a function of the changing style or some random DJ's decision that caught on?
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 02:03:13 AM »

Ha!  Could be.  Obviously the more jive-y technique is a function of the faster music, but is the faster music a function of the changing style or some random DJ's decision that caught on?

Ooooh...... mystère de bulle de gomme.

ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 10:06:37 PM »

I do have aa few questions on jive: firstly where is the hip action, is there any through the basic steps? ands econdlyi can do great jive kicks but my basics are letting me down, they don't seem to have that jump in them, or as my teacher explained it, it looks as if i'm climbing a hill, from which he means the 'chasse' aspecty of the basic is rising through the middle. Any suggestions would be great

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 03:35:58 AM »

Will try. A good jive has 2 main characteristics: latin body work; and, a little skip action on each step.

Let's look at it. Body work - Simply stated, dance the jive as if it were orig. style american style rumba. That is with the weight lowered into the core/hips, rather than held high as in int'l. Dance the rock step exatly a it says... "rock-step" not step-rock like most persons seem to do w/ all dances. Place the first side step directly under the shoulder; pull the feet together; allow the 'momentum' to place the third step (a wee past the shoulder); repeat to return. Once the placements are correct, one can focus on the latin lowering of the hips during the rocks and chasses; and the swinging of the hips on steps 3.

Skip action - The current trend of "big knees" drives me absolutely insane. This was never to be! (see my post of 21 july) A small but rhythmic lifting of the 'feet' will create the little "skip" that happens on each step. The knees have little to do w/ it. My coach made me skip rope (like boxers do) in order to train for this.

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:23 PM »

Enter the Dragon.

It's a common misconception that 'Ballroom Jive' is dramatically different from Swing.

I recently had a fairly hilarious experience here. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiXYWKHkOKk

Ballroom meets Lindy on the social dance floor :-)

Ballroom Jive is just 'dumbed down' Swing, straight six beat, no eights, no anchors, no extended anchors of moves, no hitting the breaks or the swing, no listening to the music It's very simple.

The Jongleurs event was amusing because the musicians knew nothing about Scotland's 'Swing Dance Community' and brought a load of Ballroom dancers to 'teach' the Swing (Lindy Hop) community how to do Jive.

Talk about being blown away. 'You're not following the steps!!. This isn't what you've been taught, I've never done this'- as you were dancing. For the Ballroom girls is was like stepping into a Ford Focus and discovering it had V8 engine under the hood. It was funny. They were completely out thier depth - but after a little 'cranking' to show who was boss on the dance floor, they followed admirablly.

There's nothing funnier than someone telling you 'you don't know the steps' while you are in the middle of leading them in a series of patterns they've never seen.

It's fascinatimg tp dance Ballroom Jive because invariablly, if you are the lead, you get the girl doing Lindy. I've even started out doing rumba and had the girl doing WCS. . . .the music was 'Black Velvet by Allannah Myles.

Swing is very popular in Scandinavia and Scotland (There is a particular double step rather then triple step form that is unique to Glasgow)

American 'East Coast Swing' is, like 'Ballroom Jive' a dumbed down  version of WCS and reduces the dance to six beats, when all Swing dancers know that its varying the length of the patterns that make the dance.

In reality you can hardly put a piece of paper between Ballroom Jive and ECS. WCS is closer in concept to Argentiine Tango than it is to ECS and Ballroom Jive, though the steps are similar to ECS. #

You've also got 'Discofox' and 'Modern Jive' in Europe, which are similar to 'The Hustle' and 'Night Club two-step' in concept.

Lindy is danced at a similar speed to Ballroom Jiive, but to do 'closed hold' moves the lead has to crouch and lean forward to absorb the followers momentum.  The follower also has to be 'well grounded' that is hang back 'off beat' in order to build the momentum. You can't dance Lindy 'on beat' in terms of the steps, the lead is ahead of the beat and the follower behind.

Notice how the 'little girl' with the big guy, 'holds off' to get the momentum, that's why thier moves look so much cleaner than the other couples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAAAV7BB1HU

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:41:21 PM by albanaich » Logged
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 07:40:37 AM »

Alba, I am not going to get into a big thing with you, and perhaps I should just leave it alone, but this entire post is almost ludicrous; unless I am misunderstanding it completely.

Ballroom Jive is just 'dumbed down' Swing, straight six beat, no eights, no anchors, no extended anchors of moves, no hitting the breaks or the swing, no listening to the music It's very simple.
Complete BS. Jive is the euro name for Jitterbug which came before traditional swing. ECS/WCS came from necessity as the music slowed; the predecessor can not be a dumbed down version of the successor. Further, though it has become quite sweetheartized by Easterners who did not know how to dance it properly, BR Jive is not simple in the least. Do not confuse the stupid high knees, stomping the floor, just a faster Swing w/ bad styling with good/real Jitterbug/Jive.

There's nothing funnier than someone telling you 'you don't know the steps' while you are in the middle of leading them in a series of patterns they've never seen.
This happens all the time, and I agree w/ you completely. these persons get on my nerves... but, I've learned, as you, to laugh.

American 'East Coast Swing' is, like 'Ballroom Jive' a dumbed down  version of WCS and reduces the dance to six beats, when all Swing dancers know that its varying the length of the patterns that make the dance.

1- WCS came last in this series. 2- ECS does not dance in 6 beats. Do not confuse beats w/ counts. ECS dances in 8 just like all of the others. It does dance out of phrase, but then so do many dances... rhtyhm and non.

In reality you can hardly put a piece of paper between Ballroom Jive and ECS. WCS is closer in concept to Argentiine Tango than it is to ECS and Ballroom Jive, though the steps are similar to ECS. #
Untrue. though these dances share a common parentage, thus similar steps, their techs and styles are completely different. They are not danced even remotely the similar.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: