partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 02:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Mambo
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mambo  (Read 1091 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »

For sheer fun, this is one of the best dances.  Once you get past the on-2 thing...
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »

So true! I'm beginning to actually love the Mambo!

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »

I danced salsa (on 1) for nearly a decade before starting mambo.

I actually prefer the mambo, but still have a lot of trouble with dancing on the 2.  I am getting there.  Been struggling for at least a year. Recently it has been going better.

If there are any salseros/as out there who have changed to mambo or dance both well - I am all ears for your tips and advice.

HELP

If you aren't on your way out to dance then you are going the wrong way...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:32:11 PM »

I actually prefer the mambo, but still have a lot of trouble with dancing on the 2. 

I actually tend to avoid on-1 salsa because it messes up my mambo.  I know people who can do both well, but I'm not sure how they do it.
dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »

that makes 2 of us  Grin

ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »

i try to avoid mambo as much as humanly possible, the opposition hip infuriates me!

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:34:43 AM »

I danced salsa (on 1) for nearly a decade before starting mambo.

I actually prefer the mambo, but still have a lot of trouble with dancing on the 2.  I am getting there.  Been struggling for at least a year. Recently it has been going better.

If there are any salseros/as out there who have changed to mambo or dance both well - I am all ears for your tips and advice.

HELP
I dance them both, and have always wondered why it is difficult for dancers to find the 2. I have been teaching for 20+ yrs, and haven't found a magic way of gettign persons to do this, other than training them to hear it by repetition. One thing that might help (of course, I do not know how you dance)...care to not step too large in mambo. Most dancers' first steps fwd/back are way too large. The leg action of mambo mandates a short step. Further, the step is a triplet, which we know is always short-short-long.

Help a little?   Cry

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
dancingfool
Intermediate Bronze

I am Canadian!

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »

I'll try out your tips.  I think ultimately it comes down to 'hearing' the music properly.

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:05:16 AM »

Yes; which is difficult in latin rhythms b/c of the seperation of riffs. Most BR dancers dance on the 3 and think it's the 2. Care for this when listening. The best way is to identify the primary riff (da, tic-a-da, dada). An easier way, though not the best, is to identify the clave (clah-vay....ba, ba, ba...baba).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:06:58 AM by TangoDancer » Logged

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: