partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Rumba
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Rumba  (Read 5207 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »

I understand why - my mind thinks latin - but my body synchronises with standard Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 03:02:47 AM »

My mind is standard on the top, but deep down in there it's latin. I don't show people the latin bit - they might get scared
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:18 AM »

I understand why - my mind thinks latin - but my body synchronises with standard Undecided

Yep! I can't physically step on the 2! My body only knows how to count 1 2 3, not 2 3 4 1.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 03:26:06 AM »

Really? It feels so much more natural dancing on 2. It fits with the music and feels cooler.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 04:22:56 AM »

My mind is standard on the top, but deep down in there it's latin. I don't show people the latin bit - they might get scared

Let it out, girlfriend! Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:27 AM »

yes indeed MC - its the #2 vehicle for the primal woman thats inside Smiley
(#1 is not dance related)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »

Let it out, girlfriend! Cheesy

Haha...I'm too young Tongue
At least in their mind.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »

Ugh, at the moment my hips do very little except drop too much resulting in a knock-kneed rumba walk (attractive, I know) or nothing.  I think because I am taught to release my hip to initiate the movement and then the follow this with the foot action, pushing from the standing foot, may be I am not getting it and I need to think of it some how differently?  I think the knee issue results from my lack of hip control and "dropping" the hip instead of just releasing.

Just to clarify, pinkstuff--you're in Australia and dancing International, right?
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »

Currently working on walks - have gone from dropping the moving hip joint too much to rotating with no settling action - never goes right, and I have a tendency to replace one problem with another  Roll Eyes

Here's how i was taught how to do a rumba walk, this apparantly is the way in which walks are done in cha cha, rumba and samba. Start with you right foot back behind the left to try and create a line, make sure that both feet are turned our slightly, have the weight forward and pull up through the thighs to gain stability (if done properlly this should start working the muscles in the legs very quickly Wink). Push your left hip forward over the front leg, this should push the hip out while making sure that the back is straight and pelvis is not 'poking out', then as you move your right leg forward push both your hips forward into a neurtal position, still keeping your weight forward and your left leg straight, move your right leg out toes pointed until almost fully extended. Finally transfer you weight onto your right leg, pushing your right hip forward and making sure feet are turned out and standing leg is straight. Continue this until you don't feel like walking anymore Wink

Hope it helps, if it's not clear i'll try and explain it again...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »

Things like this are often so difficult to describe well. Yet, to add to ZP's post... 2 very important points; 1- dance in thirds. It is imperative to good latin to dance with the feet in the third positions (heel to arch). Once you are comfortable with this, learn to always dance in a front third (forward foot with heel to arch of back foot). 2- Know that the hips lower at the beginnings of the steps... not at the ends (after taking te step,do not drop/settle the hip; wait until you are ready to take the next step).

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »

Yeah I guess ... maybe because I do not do latin as of yet ... I really dislike this dance. to slow for me. AND many times even seeing it danced well bothers me because so many dancers have not (for my own liking that is) emoted the feeling I would like to see in a rumba.

As far as dancing it, I do find it difficult to stay on timing. But again, I am not actively working on this particular dance at the moment.

Even I am actively working on this dance, it's not my cup of tea. Yes, it's too slow and difficult to match emotions with the dance if I am not dancing with my SO.
Heck! That means I have to fake it, well......, the only dance probably I will fake my emotion applies to this.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »

do not like rumba period. LOL especially dislike rhythm.
Really odd...it is the same rhythm as bolero (plus one beat) and cha (less one beat). Also, you might find interesting, because of your earlier comment about it being too slow, that the original rumba was a courtship dance; danced quite a bit quicker than either of the ballroom styles, and with different footwork (steps).

Yes, I believe African style Rumba is a lot faster than International or American style. I've seen the dance once, and was like 'that's not rumba I've learned.' Well, my ignorance.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »

We did silver rumba in our lesson last night.  One thing that my instructor is really emphasizing now is sticking my steps.  And it's been a problem for me, in rumba and cha-cha particularly.  I guess it get it from smooth, where your feet are moving all the time, but I have a lot of trouble with unnecessary foot movement in the Latin dances.  Things like letting my standing foot rotate when it isn't supposed to, or dragging my moving foot through a step rather then stepping and placing.  Sometimes I fee like I my legs are made of concrete and I just can't make them move quickly enough.

I guess the precision is very important in Latin dancing. To do this, I believe you have to have strong legs and feet.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »

Historically Rhumba is Pierre Lavelle's version of Cuban Salsa. The timing is the same as Salsa but its much slower.

Rhumba and Cha-Cha have the same 'timing' but in Cha Cha the last beat of the bar is split and syncopated. The difference is that instead of holding on the last beat as you do in Rhumba, you syncopate (triple step) to the split beat.

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »

What great way to end a thread       .. ..  .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: