partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 02:40:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Rumba
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Rumba  (Read 5217 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »

Ah, the dance of romance... It's a good dance for beginners to start with, and it's a great dance when advanced dancers do it well. 
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »

Yeah I guess ... maybe because I do not do latin as of yet ... I really dislike this dance. to slow for me. AND many times even seeing it danced well bothers me because so many dancers have not (for my own liking that is) emoted the feeling I would like to see in a rumba.

As far as dancing it, I do find it difficult to stay on timing. But again, I am not actively working on this particular dance at the moment.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »

Try American Rumba ED - it's a bit faster.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »

Try American Rumba ED - it's a bit faster.

do not like rumba period. LOL especially dislike rhythm.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »

Oh I love Rumba, if you really get into the music, again is is in the leg action but it is such an intense romantic dance. Great Hip action is required, I too have not done too much but still love to do it socially.

What is the most important thing to focus on in this dance?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31:33 AM »

What is the most important thing to focus on in this dance?

The thing my instructor focuses on with me the most is keeping all of the motions and actions fairly crisp and definite.  Not staccato, like tango, but not "flow-y" either.  In particular, holding the leg lines on the slows -- there is some body motion that continues through the slow, but the feet should be stationary and the legs should not move any more than necessary to accommodate the body movement.  Because I also dance bolero, my instructor often reminds me of it in terms of drawing a line between rumba and bolero -- if, for example, I sway through a cross-body lead rather than remaining vertical and using the hips, she'll say, "you boleroed that."   Cheesy
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »

thanks for that ..I will give that a try....I am sure it will take a while to get the hang of that.

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »

I'm still working on it myself.  I find that the back side of the box is harder than the front side for some reason; I get my hip motion screwed up as I'm transitioning from the slow to the quicks.  By the way: do you dance rumba SQQ or QQS?
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »

She's in Australia, cornutt--she would dance it International.  Wink
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »

Don't they dance some American style there?  Anyway, she's probably asleep right now.   Cheesy
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »

She's in Australia, cornutt--she would dance it International.  Wink

You are correct Smiley

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »

Don't they dance some American style there?  Anyway, she's probably asleep right now.   Cheesy

Yes I was sound aleep in my bed and my ears were not ringing either Smiley...No American style that I know of..not at the dance schools....perhaps via cer rock?

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »

When we first started, we were taught to dance it with International timing -- apparently that's the way FA used to teach it (our studio owners were once FA franchise owners).  When they decided to adopt the DVIDA syllabus, they switched us all to American timing.  Having done both, I honestly like American timing better for most of the music that rumba is danced to today.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »

perhaps you can find a clip that shows what that looks like?

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:41:54 AM »

do not like rumba period. LOL especially dislike rhythm.
Really odd...it is the same rhythm as bolero (plus one beat) and cha (less one beat). Also, you might find interesting, because of your earlier comment about it being too slow, that the original rumba was a courtship dance; danced quite a bit quicker than either of the ballroom styles, and with different footwork (steps).

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: