partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:23:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Practice makes the girl go round...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Practice makes the girl go round...  (Read 12696 times)
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »

Elise:
Why does your partner not find a suitable pro am teacher and take private lessons with he? Would that not increase the speed of learning that much more ? Just curious.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:15 PM »

Elise:
Why does your partner not find a suitable pro am teacher and take private lessons with he? Would that not increase the speed of learning that much more ? Just curious.

Simple answer?  He's a cheap skate!!  Its much better for him to take lessons with me - then the coach spends 80% of the time with the lead and the follow serves as the model for his efforts - and then pays half the lesson.

I wish I could get him to do so because you are so right - we could be in championship in no time.  Actually, right now we are still working through the after effects of an op so I'm happy to take it easy.  However, he is running a danger - while I am working with new-pro my dancing is improving by leaps and what if some top lead were to notice that?  I don't want to change but have no idea how I would react.

Lets hope DP isn't on here yet uh?  Or maybe this would do him good.  Or maybe he would just go find someone else Sad oh dear...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »

Practice is going just great at the moment. We're making some real progress and feel right on the cusp of breaking through the "3rd place" barrier we have going at the moment (almost comp we score 3rd or 4th. So we easily make the final but are just out of reach of the top couples).

Just a little bit more refinement and we'll be there Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »

its great when you feel progress - we are too I hasten to add but thats largely because we have one extra limb than we had before Smiley

waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:01:09 PM »

its great when you feel progress - we are too I hasten to add but thats largely because we have one extra limb than we had before Smiley

Because of the massive height difference between my partner and I it's been a very slow start - she was heavy, and my top line would suffer badly because I couldn't adjust properly.

Now she is light as a feather, feels tall, and there's a real warmth in the connection due to the closeness of our partnership. The wins come soon Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »

with an attitude like that - surely they will Smiley

Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »

My practices are going great! With competition coming up we are focusing on a lot of little things but i still feel major improvement Cheesy I'm just dancing Smooth this comp. (no Rhythm Sad  ) so i've really been able to focus. Yesterday I had a great lesson, we worked on Tango and Viennese Waltz, plan to go practice on my own today too.  I just have to keep my ballet out of it! Ahhhhh!! LOL I did ballet for so long that it is always creeping in on my other dancing... *sigh* I'll just have to keep trying to use it to my advantage   Wink

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »

which comp are you doing Becca? (I haven't looked at our competition list)
ee

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »

A thread to talk about, well any aspect of ballroom practise you care to....

Had an hour with DP (hey, we need our own abreviations thread! Dance Partner BTW, er, by the way (and so it goes)) this morning - his leg is getting stronger and its having an amazing effect on our dancing.  What I had not realized is that before the op we were basically basing all our dancing on what his bad leg could do (in retrospect its obvious I suppose, but somehow it was not at the time).  Now he is opening up and its so much easier to stay in balance and for me to dance.  I don't have to think about the 'third partner' (his knee).

We've got a way to go but its already feeling better than before Smiley

hey, that's sounds so great!!! really happy for you!

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »

Time to practise in 5 minutes - gotta run!!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 06:21:25 AM »

worked for 1.5 hrs in the studo - the longest yet DP's legs are starting to really release.  As usual spent a lot of time on waltz basics - just going up and down the floor.  There's always so much to fix.  In particular working on not rising too early and lowering on the first bit of 'one'.  I don't think one can ever finish this!

Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

which comp are you doing Becca? (I haven't looked at our competition list)
ee

Im doing the Atlanta Open! OMG like 3 weeks away now.... WAAAAA... *Must Practice*

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »

Good luck and have fun.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »

Practiced our New Vogue this evening and had fun. we have quite a few dances that we need to learn before the next comp. Need to have better crontrol of my upper body as I seem to be getting neck strain and I am not sure which dance is causing it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »

Neck strain is often caused by trying to make an unnatural shape - craning rather than keeping the head in a smooth line with the spine.  The head does NOT extend, its the body shape that creates the head line - and don't turn it - the women in the videos may seem to be doing that but its a product of a shape created from the feet up, not the head down. 

Perhaps you are trying too hard?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: