partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Practice makes the girl go round...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Practice makes the girl go round...  (Read 12726 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 12, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »

A thread to talk about, well any aspect of ballroom practise you care to....

Had an hour with DP (hey, we need our own abreviations thread! Dance Partner BTW, er, by the way (and so it goes)) this morning - his leg is getting stronger and its having an amazing effect on our dancing.  What I had not realized is that before the op we were basically basing all our dancing on what his bad leg could do (in retrospect its obvious I suppose, but somehow it was not at the time).  Now he is opening up and its so much easier to stay in balance and for me to dance.  I don't have to think about the 'third partner' (his knee).

We've got a way to go but its already feeling better than before Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:41:22 PM »

I am glad to hear that he is up and about again. I am sure you will see a faster improvement the next few months then you have seen before. I look forward to seeing you dance in the near future.

All the best to you both.  Smiley

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »

thanks DSV Smiley  its a heck of a relief - just a month ago I was a afraid that it was the end of the partnership - which round here generally means the end of dancing...

I also learned how my AM and pro-am dancing depend on each other.  Pro-am is the best training - at least for the follower - you are learning directly from the pro.  That means I dance better with my AM partner and can use the knowledge to improve our dancing.  AM dancing on the other hand forces me to dance more independently (its easy to rely on the pro if you are not careful) and gives me a lot of dance time to practise my technical issues.  Not to mention have a lot of fun Smiley

If one can pull it of (time and money wise) I strongly recommend the combination ....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »

I also learned how my AM and pro-am dancing depend on each other.  Pro-am is the best training - at least for the follower - you are learning directly from the pro.  That means I dance better with my AM partner and can use the knowledge to improve our dancing.  AM dancing on the other hand forces me to dance more independently (its easy to rely on the pro if you are not careful) and gives me a lot of dance time to practise my technical issues.  Not to mention have a lot of fun Smiley

If one can pull it of (time and money wise) I strongly recommend the combination ....

I would agree on that the combination can be a winning combination, if they are using the same basic idea.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:52:46 PM »

well, pro uses his ideas and DP has no choice Cheesy

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »

well, pro uses his ideas and DP has no choice Cheesy

Sounds about right  Wink

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »

Actually there has been a dramatic change in our 'dynamic' - DP obviously respects new-pro and now he is listening to - and generally reacting favorably to my suggestions.  Dancing has become a whole lot more fun when both the doing and the practise are partner issues!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »

Actually there has been a dramatic change in our 'dynamic' - DP obviously respects new-pro and now he is listening to - and generally reacting favorably to my suggestions.  Dancing has become a whole lot more fun when both the doing and the practise are partner issues!

Sure sounds like you have create a team around you. Great to hear Smiley

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:48:50 PM »

Practice for me right now is listening to a dear dear friends advice (my new mom Smiley ) and also putting in more on my own time with things I know are done right and slowly incorporating changes to benefit my dancing. I am going back to some of my ballet roots for upper body shaping so as to not hurt my lower back. Also visualizing more. Um .... starting tomorrow taking same said friends advise on when to think and when not to think. I am trying to incorporate these little things into everyday practicality too. Going back over that quantum shift thread (I copied the whole damn thing to a word doc) and digesting bits, asking my friend questions on how to use everyday things to improve dancing. Also asked for advice to not argue with my pro so I can concentrate on dance and not frustration.

How wonderful for you to have found a new mom. I found it to be very useful in my learning to have teachers/mentors/family around me at all times. Every one of them brought a different aspect into my dancing and life. Sounds like you are getting a lot of homework to do both on and off the floor. My dance teacher use to say that great dancers practice more off the floor then on the floor. Keep up the good work.

Dora-Satya Veda

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »

My dance teacher use to say that great dancers practice more off the floor then on the floor.

Er, hanging from the light fixture?

(sorry:
I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, ... not)

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »

Tuesday can't get here soon enough.  I'm buying myself a dance lesson for my birthday.  It will be the first one since November.  I know, deep down, that one won't be enough, but still... I. Can't. Wait!  I'm thinking of seeing if I can get someone to videotape the open gold rumba routine he's been using to whip me into shape, since I don't know when I'm going to be in a position to get back to NYC for lessons again.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »

My dance teacher use to say that great dancers practice more off the floor then on the floor.

Er, hanging from the light fixture?

(sorry:
I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, I will be behave myself, ... not)

No, actually hanging of the bar stool, of the bar itself or off the billiard table Wink. He had be do hours and hours of practice in the bar next door.  Smiley
I loved when he would tell me off and send me into the bar to practice more drills. Sometimes I would actually ask him if I could go next do to practice. He would laugh and wink and say "go for it Little Lady"

Dora-Satya Veda
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:11:03 AM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »

I think if everyone is on the same page (so to speak) then learning will be quicker than if everyone sees a different view. You also have to believe solely in what your coach is telling you or otherwise find a new coach..No Point in having them.
the practice practice practice.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 05:37:38 AM »

Tuesday can't get here soon enough.  I'm buying myself a dance lesson for my birthday.  It will be the first one since November.  I know, deep down, that one won't be enough, but still... I. Can't. Wait!  I'm thinking of seeing if I can get someone to videotape the open gold rumba routine he's been using to whip me into shape, since I don't know when I'm going to be in a position to get back to NYC for lessons again.

what a lovely idea - you are right it may be a bit difficult after but not doing it is much worse. 

If you have a point-and-shoot camera they take pretty good videos just standing on a table - in particular for rhumba as it does not move around the floor so much...

Have fun!! And I hope you will be back to regular lessons really soon...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »

No lessons this week, which may be a good thing, my neck is so sore, think it is being on the computer too long :-P

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: