partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 04:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Volunteer State Dance Challenge 2009
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Volunteer State Dance Challenge 2009  (Read 3045 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 08:59:31 PM »

Organizer just amended the heat lists to include the times and YAY, I don't have to be there quite as early as I'd thought!  I'm dancing first thing Saturday morning (oh the joys of being in Bronze...) and thought I'd have to be there at the crack of dawn since the website first said that the session started at 8am.  Looks like they must have had less entries than they planned on, though, because I don't dance until 9:30!  Yay for more sleep!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »

watch it though - I've been to comps where they shifted our heat by 2 hrs earlier! 
incidentally, they were nice about it but thats how we ended up in our first pre-champ heat!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »

Well this is first thing in the morning (literally, first 3 heats... Roll Eyes), I don't think they can start earlier without notifying people.

2 days...!!! Shocked
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »

I wish we could sneak Chang's take-out into the ballroom... we're going to have to get up hella early, at like, ten-thirty, just to be able to eat and shop first...

</cordelia chase whine>
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

When are you coming down, Ging?  I'm dancing Thursday night in the showdance and Saturday morning for Latin single dances/scholarship.  Scholarship's around 12:45.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »

Well this is first thing in the morning (literally, first 3 heats... Roll Eyes), I don't think they can start earlier without notifying people.

then you sound pretty safe Smiley

Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 01:51:15 AM »

We're leaving here about... noonish? Doing the mall thing, the Chang's thing, then heading to the ballroom for the evening session. Crap, we're going to miss you dancing! In fact, we're not going to get to see anybody we actually know dance, and they're about all at this darned comp! Argh!
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 01:58:26 AM »

Sounds like you should spring for a room somewhere Friday night and come to the ballroom Saturday morning, THEN go shopping/eat! Wink

Yeah, I'm an enabler.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 03:58:59 AM »

Trust me- I'd really like to do that, but... this way has it's perks, too. Wink
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »

I'll take your word for it...even though Lord knows I need all the cheering section I can get, especially during the scholarship on Saturday...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 05:03:39 AM »

sooo.... Smiley

Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 05:19:24 AM »

Remarkably lackluster competition and atmosphere. Don't get me wrong- it was fun, and good dancing, but it just didn't do it for me the way previous ones had.  Glad to run over a couple people in general dancing that had no concept of floorcraft- they had my 34Ds right upside their heads in a New York a couple of times, and finally stopped ramming into us.

We did get our PF Chang's and Jack in the Box fixes, though, and The Boy got his rhinestone belt buckle fetish satisfied while mine only ogled shoes this year.

Good time was had by all, but I still don't feel all "Yay! Dance! Woo!"

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »

well, at least you don't feel frustrated and 'I want to quit' 
See, always looking on the bright side, I'm very tiresome that way

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »

Remarkably lackluster competition and atmosphere. Don't get me wrong- it was fun, and good dancing, but it just didn't do it for me the way previous ones had.  Glad to run over a couple people in general dancing that had no concept of floorcraft- they had my 34Ds right upside their heads in a New York a couple of times, and finally stopped ramming into us.

We did get our PF Chang's and Jack in the Box fixes, though, and The Boy got his rhinestone belt buckle fetish satisfied while mine only ogled shoes this year.

Good time was had by all, but I still don't feel all "Yay! Dance! Woo!"

I don't disagree with this.  Entries were noticeably down, way down, and the judging was super-wonky all weekend.  I didn't agree with at least half of the pro results.  Full results are up on SuperShag.

You probably saw me Saturday night, Ginger--I was running scores in the red slinky dress.  Making full laps around the ballroom at 80 mph every 1 1/2 minutes...

More details to come on my blog...
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 01:35:17 AM »

I'm really glad you pointed out the judging weirdness. A friend of mine (Mike- you probably know him, he goes to DW a lot on Saturdays) and all of us were talking about that... it was just way off. I sure love the Tates, and I think they should have marked higher than they did.

I saw you and waved, but you were definitely in the zone of couriery.

I noticed Some Big Changes about a former redhead pro that shocked the living hell out of me, and WHAT is with Team Ermis!? Ben's always been Benorexic, but Shalene looked TINY compared to January. I saw Mark Short (my favorite fellow from DW- besides Ben- for tango) actually facially emote during his dancing (although Chris never once cracked a smile, and he's still adorable for it), it was like the world was upside down!

Where was Ruthie this year? I love Ruthie! I actually honestly think that's part of what was missing from this comp for me- When Ruthie and people like her dance, you can see "I LOVE THIS" all over their faces. In the Sat. Night heats, everyone seemed mechanical and more focused on squeezing more this or that in, instead of actual dancing. Nothing made my arms goosebump.  The only person who really actually brought that was Lisa Vogel and partner- she's one of my clique's favorites to watch.

In other news, we got to watch some drunk tramp puke on her shoes while we were leaving the hotel parking garage. Good times.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: