partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:52:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Tango - advanced
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Tango - advanced  (Read 5703 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: May 04, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »

I have been taught two very different styles in tango - and I presume there are many more.
In the first the action is created by moving the body first so that it ends up that our centre is onto p of the standing leg.
In the second we advance our feet first and then transfer our bodies over them - the result is that the centre is generally between the legs.  I"ve noticed that Victor Fung and Anna Mirkhead do a very similiar action.

Is this a correct assesment and, if so, which are preferred - and have I left any out!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:17:48 PM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »

I am being taught the 2nd variation.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »

I have been taught two very different styles in tango - and I presume there are many more.
In the first the action is created by moving the body first so that it ends up that our centre is onto p of the standing leg.
In the second we advance our feet first and then transfer our bodies over them - the result is that the centre is generally between the legs.  I"ve noticed that Victor Fung and Anna Mirkhead do a very similiar action.

Is this a correct assesment and, if so, which are preferred - and have I left any out!

I am not sure if you are talking about the "slow"

There are 3 different ways of dancing a "slow". Which "slow" is danced where depends on the step, the timing used and the interpretation of the step.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »

I think its most evident on the slow but we do it on both the slow and quick.  Basically, extend the leg and then transfer.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »

The other really interesting aspect is what do you do from a stopped position as you take the first step in promenade?  Lower (bend knees and move), rise (extend knees and move) or neither?  I hvae always been taught the former but now we are experimenting with the latter. 

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:59:44 AM »

Re your first post, you are partially correct. In the second type of movement, you said to move the foot first thereby placing the body more between both feet. I assume, knowing you that you are referring to the int'l which is quite odd because it is not exactly true to tango movement, american nor argentine. However, you will do better to think of carrying the body with you as you move, and thus keeping the weight placed between the feet. Here is the issue with the int'l. Whereas in the other 2 styles, the movement would stop here, in the int'l it continues to end over the leading foot. Of course, we know this, but it is good to mention that a great point of reference is to remember that the back leg is always locked as straight as possible in the tango regardless of direction. This will help to assure the proper placement and timing of middle to settle weight distribution.

Re your last post, project the movement from the ball of foot through to a straightened back leg. Be sure to extend well the right leg with the foot on a forward positioned inside edge (this is essential for the whole foot placing action of the tango). Do this, and the answer to your question is "neither". Rise would indicate movement in the wrong direction. Lower (bend the knees) is just completely incorrect. The projection movement described is a lateral push across the floor, hence...neither. Now, I must say that I feel that you kinda know this, already.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Sarosh
pre-bronze

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »

I always teach that the body moves first, in any dance, even in tango.  The difference between a swing dance and tango is that upon arriving, the body stops but the leg moves ahead or back depending on the direction. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »

Sounds like we have some experts here!!!  This is very exciting!  Looking forward to reading more!
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »

I always teach that the body moves first, in any dance, even in tango.  The difference between a swing dance and tango is that upon arriving, the body stops but the leg moves ahead or back depending on the direction. 

The most important thing when dancing tango is to know that it differs from other dances by focusing on weighting in the middle of the steps rather than foot to foot. Now, this is most noticable in argentine; the amer style should be danced in this manner, though it is often not; and, the int'l has been called faux tango b/c it is danced, in large, from foot to foot. To be really good at it, though, try focusing the weight in the middle of both feet as you dance (this is to say that the body doesn't reaally move first...we take the body with us through the middle of the step, then project it over the intended step).

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 05:56:08 AM »

In our (int) tango the leg moves first and the body follows - but does not get over the foot, the centre (argh, well the postural? centre - see other topic) is moves abouttwo thirds of the distance between the feet. 

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »

okay ask your self the same question about how you walk everyday (forwards) there is your answer

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

But I don't agree and I think that the 'walking' analogy is overdone.  I don't think the (international) tango IS danced as you walk.  For example, how many people bend both knees before they start waling?

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »

For example, how many people bend both knees before they start waling?

Great argument for NOT doing it.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:15 AM »

so you don't bend the knees in tango Huh

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »

so you don't bend the knees in tango Huh

I was always taught by all my main teacher to never bend my knees. Smiley

just my 2 cents worth

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: