partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Tango - advanced
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Tango - advanced  (Read 5081 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »

Quite right you are. To understand it more, let's look at the american tango (simply b/c of its marchy style). as you said, one is warranted to dance it w/i the 8 beats provided, but most also dance it in 2 distinct sections: 1- walk, walk, and 2- walk, side, stop. When challenged, they adamantly say that it is S-S-Q-Q-S [1,2 then 3,4,5]. They look like little american wooden soldiers dancing a german type of foxtrot to a mexican danzon style of WTH.

By your post, I would summize that were you to dance this same thing, that you would not dane it S-S-Q-Q-S, but 12, 34, 56, 78 (which 'is', of course, more correct). To dance it in this manner, does, indeed, keep one in time, but w/o being so beat conscious that one can not float the dance. Tango was never meant to be the germanic march that it has become (mostly from attempting to dance 'on' the beats). I have psoted before re other things, "...dancers must remember that the beats are for musicians; the music is for the dancers..."

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2009, 06:23:19 PM »

but do judges remember that?  I mean what element of tango MUST be on time in order for you to be seen as 'on time'?  The beginning of the phrase? The start of a side?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »

As an adjudicator, I say, yes, many of us do know this. IMO, to be on time in a tango, one must begin at the 1, then find the 1,4 at the phrases (1 and 4 of Cool. If one dances this, there is no possible way of being off beat/out of time in between.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »

I have found different teachers emphasize different beats. Can anyone describe how they accent their choreography
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »

interesting I find dancing tango different with each piece of music. not sure why, but we still have a long way to go perfecting the timing and remaining low. But I do so enjoy the dance

I would go out on a limb, and say that it is b/c tango is different from all of the other dances. Part of that difference is that it is not confined to beats/bars as we tend to believe that other dances are. Thus, we are freed, even if only psychologically, to dance it w/ furhter abandon. Also, the dance changes every 2 steps, whereas most other dances change every 3 steps. Thsi allows for more variety/interpretation.

My specialty. I love it.

you should try blues.........

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 07:47:04 AM »

interesting I find dancing tango different with each piece of music. not sure why, but we still have a long way to go perfecting the timing and remaining low. But I do so enjoy the dance
[BTM: Do we need a blues board? Anyone you know that might post there with you?]

I would go out on a limb, and say that it is b/c tango is different from all of the other dances. Part of that difference is that it is not confined to beats/bars as we tend to believe that other dances are. Thus, we are freed, even if only psychologically, to dance it w/ furhter abandon. Also, the dance changes every 2 steps, whereas most other dances change every 3 steps. Thsi allows for more variety/interpretation.

My specialty. I love it.

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2010, 04:14:08 AM »

I usually try to avoid the blues.  Tongue  Grin

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »

I usually try to avoid the blues.  Tongue  Grin
not when I'm fishing Grin

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:06 AM »

Worked on pivots in tango yesterday - it feels a bit as if you are riding a horse bowlegged - you stay between the legs and pivot from foot to foot.  In some ways tango and QS are related - I get the same feeling doing scatter chasses, in particular slow ones, with my weight squarely between thje feet.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 05:53:51 AM »

Worked on pivots in tango yesterday - it feels a bit as if you are riding a horse bowlegged - you stay between the legs and pivot from foot to foot.  In some ways tango and QS are related - I get the same feeling doing scatter chasses, in particular slow ones, with my weight squarely between thje feet.

that sounds weird; do you mean double-weighted pivots?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 06:05:46 AM »

what do you mean double-weighted?  These are continuous pivots - you can do them right round the floor..

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:40 AM »

My teacher used to call it "Sumo position".

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 06:14:18 AM »

My teacher used to call it "Sumo position".
Thats even better than horse-back!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 06:55:20 AM »

Yes that is why Tango is so different to the other three styles.  Using whole foot, side stepping ...crab like....I find it the most difficult as I always want to rise.. but it is getting better.

the other thing is keeping my head weight back far enough, not sure if that would have a huge impact on the connection.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:55 AM »

Yes that is why Tango is so different to the other three styles.  Using whole foot, side stepping ...crab like....I find it the most difficult as I always want to rise.. but it is getting better.

Wish I had been here to see this, I would have said that this is actually quite common. One of the best fixes is to note that there are no 'real' side steps in most of tango... they are "weight shifts" following the foot placement. Perhaps, that will help if you revisit this thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: